Notices

Day five with extreme anxiety

Old 09-07-2016, 02:14 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm glad you're made that decision blackened

Have you thought about how you'll stay sober? Any ideas on a plan?

D
If i dont drink for 2 days i dont feel like drinking at all. I am going to stay in my sober friend`s house and tell him to not to let me for 2 or 3 days just to be safe. From that time on i think it will be all about weekends and special occasions... I would like to hear your idea about how to deal with weekends and social occasions.
Thanks
Old 09-07-2016, 02:15 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cwood3 View Post
Just my humble thought, you need to decide if you want to drink or you want to quit. People who want to quit don't drink. People that don't want to quit, do drink, and then does it really matter about how much??

Step one is to be honest with yourself. Did I mention being honest with yourself?
I think you are right. I was not honest with myself. But now i am.. I will stop totally.
Old 09-07-2016, 12:45 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Well, you may need more than that. What will happen is after some period of time you will feel better, and your mind will say "well I really didn't have a problem after all".. and you will decide a couple of drinks will be okay. Guess what happens next? Trust me on this one. So if you decide you really want to live sober, you will need a plan and some support.

My suggestion on social occasions is do as I did and avoid them for the first few months. Seriously. It's not that hard. Just stay home and read or watch movies. Or get into exercise. I found running and cycling eliminated all desire for a drink, and at the crucial evening hour. On weekends go to AA and find some sober folks to hang out with. Go hiking, biking, to a coffee shop, or have sex with your woman. These are all wonderful healthy things that don't have to involve drinking.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:07 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's a great start blackened but if all it took was 2 days off at a friends place none of us would need to be here

I hope you'll check out this link on making a recovery plan
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

and swing by the Class of September support thread - lots of support there
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-1-a-9.html

D
Old 09-07-2016, 07:20 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope the support here can help you stay sober for good.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:25 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by blackened83 View Post
I think most of the people here can relate to this behaviour. But in a way i think this was good for me cause i was one of the guys rejecting the idea of being an alcoholic.
Now i know for sure and i know that i can not go with moderation....
I never tried it, but it seems that a lot of people feel the need to attempt to control their drinking, often a last gasp before surrendering, but not necessarily. I get it. For those familiar with the AA "Big Book," the section on attempts to control our drinking is very popular, and usually provokes knowing smiles when it's read at a meeting. The section actually is pretty funny in it's own way, especially when you don't read it like it's part of textbook. The way I drank, it never occurred to me to cut down on my drinking. It never occurred to me to stop drinking either. Having nearly died from it, I stopped because I had no other choice.

One of my counselors in rehab said in response to a patient complaining that there were a lot of people in the facility who were mandated to treatment by the courts, "One way or another, we're all mandated to treatment."

And, though I get your meaning, I'd be careful about looking for silver linings in your drinking. If I learned something valuable from drinking, then why not do it again? "It's not all-bad after all. Even better, nothing 'bad' happened." As I've said many times before, putting down the drink soon after drinking, and not hurting myself or anyone else in the process is not a consolation prize for having made the decision to drink, and then followed through with it.