Notices

came real close

Old 09-01-2016, 02:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

came real close

Hi all,
Work was super busy for me today, I've got 5 guys who can't seem to fix a sandwich, so I ran all over town, taking care of upset, mad, customers. Was on my way home and stoped at liquor store, sat in the parking lot and thought, man I sure could use a drink....just one, I called my friend, told him where I was what I was thinking and he helped me to not buy booze. I then called my wife and asked her if we should go out to dinner, she loved the ideia of a date night, so I'm still sober, I've got a date with my favorite lady. I'm sure glad I've got her and a good friend. I'm goinh to an AA meeting before I go home and pick up my date. I knew this was going be a day to day fight but I sure didn't think the urge would hit me that hard, I've got a ling way to go, this is my 13th day sober. I have to just take this one day, one meeting at a time.
Thanks for listening....or reading
Mick
Old 09-01-2016, 02:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Way to go Mick! A sober date with a gal always beats a drunk argument with a sober wife. Mind over matter, you're thinking the right way. Screw that AV.
Old 09-01-2016, 02:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

good on ya,mick! them thoughts can come out of nowhere.
its awesome to read ya picked up tbe phone. much better solution than a bottle.
its lighter than a bottle,too!
Old 09-01-2016, 02:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Fair play.

You had an array of choices to pluck from and you chose the ones that will lead to a better you and a better relationship and no doubt a better night.

A question:
"I've got 5 guys who can't seem to fix a sandwich"

Do they work for you, or are they your work colleagues?
Old 09-01-2016, 02:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nalanda View Post
Fair play.

You had an array of choices to pluck from and you chose the ones that will lead to a better you and a better relationship and no doubt a better night.

A question:

I'm their manager, we contract to shops who run 24/7 big old press equipment, and they pay a lot if a guy is not able to fix all problems 1st time my phone blows up and I have to help the guys get stuff going or authorize a whole months refund for customers. Heading into AA meeting.
Old 09-01-2016, 02:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

"fix a sandwich"....is that a sandwich repair business...?

oooops.......
Old 09-01-2016, 02:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Day 13 is fantastic Mick!! Great job on pushing through!!
Old 09-01-2016, 03:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Get to the root of the frustrations..........kill the thoughts

Originally Posted by Mick75 View Post
I'm their manager, we contract to shops who run 24/7 big old press equipment, and they pay a lot if a guy is not able to fix all problems 1st time my phone blows up and I have to help the guys get stuff going or authorize a whole months refund for customers. Heading into AA meeting.
I see.

Well obviously the thoughts didn't come out of nowhere in this case....they clearly came from the frustration of your work situation, wouldn't you say?

Would it be fair to say you have low expectations for these five workers?

Have you ever heard of the Pygmalion effect?
The Pygmalion Effect: Communicating High Expectations | Edutopia

Obviously you can't change other people, but you can change how you view them. You can change your paradigm.

Highly recommended: 7 Laws of highly effective people by Stephen Covey
Old 09-01-2016, 03:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
AA Member

8/20/16 ?

not a drink or a drug since?

That's a cool sobriety date!

Make it yours.

God bless

Old 09-01-2016, 04:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Way to go. Great job. Keep it up.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Well done on picking up the phone. Folks who do that almost never drink. My advice though, is to push on with the steps. The phone is a human defence and the book tells us at certain times our human defences will fail us. When that happens we need our higher power to provide the defence. Getting to that point, and staying there is the main purpose of the AA program.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
Well done on picking up the phone. Folks who do that almost never drink. My advice though, is to push on with the steps. The phone is a human defence and the book tells us at certain times our human defences will fail us. When that happens we need our higher power to provide the defence. Getting to that point, and staying there is the main purpose of the AA program.
Thank you great advice, I only went to my 1st AA meeting Monday, I'm learning and taking it one day at a time, me and my gal had a great date, we went to a Mexican restaurant food was great. My appetite is still not great but the fresh home made tortillas were fantastic. I'm learning to fill my recovery tool box, anyway thanks!
Old 09-01-2016, 06:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by january161992 View Post
8/20/16 ?

not a drink or a drug since?

That's a cool sobriety date!

Make it yours.

God bless

I never did drugs, except steroids when I was playin Jr. College football...well no that isn't true, the pain killers I took all the time, guess just bc team doc gave them to me I figured it was ok. Not a drop since 8/20/16, I sure like this web site. Ya all are awesome, I really luke AA as well, they have been super nice.:-)
Old 09-01-2016, 06:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Mick - it's understandable to have these challenges in the early days of recovery. Everything eases up as you get over these hurdles and grow stronger. We fell back on drinking for a long time - and we imagined that it helped us cope, even though it just makes us more anxious in the end. You're still in the process of getting free of it. You will do this.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nalanda View Post
Fair play.

A question:

I will check out the link you sent, good advice and I thank you.
Mick
Old 09-01-2016, 11:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good job Mick
Old 09-02-2016, 06:49 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cwood3 View Post
Way to go Mick! A sober date with a gal always beats a drunk argument with a sober wife. Mind over matter, you're thinking the right way. Screw that AV.
My boyfriend has told me that in the years he spent heavy drinking with his ex-wife, it wasn't a relationship; it was just two drinking buddies. It was nowhere close to what a marriage should be- they used alcohol to cope with things like her infidelity and his workaholic avoidance- and it is even less close to what a strong, sober, loving, spiritual relationship like ours is as we grow. I know which one I'm glad to be one, too, since I had my own drunken disasters of relationships.

Keep going!!