Notices

What is AV?

Old 09-01-2016, 09:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What is AV?

Ok, I keep seeing this abbreviation. So what does it mean? Sorry guys, I'm new to this.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nevermind. Just read what it meant above on the acronyms page.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, it's that little "alcoholic voice" in our head, of our ego, that tells us stories about how we're really not alcoholics, and how one beer couldn't hurt, lol. Or, beyond that, it often tells us how others have wronged us.. leading to anger and resentment. Learning to recognize the voice of the ego, or false self, and ignore it, or reframe our thoughts, is key to recovery.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's the twin of the Evil Alcohol Fairy
Old 09-01-2016, 10:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

It's the 'little devil on your shoulder holding a bottle of booze' and making false promises!
Old 09-01-2016, 10:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I honestly believe that my AV is afraid of me now. Truth is, he's probably Googling up some new scare tactics to spring on me down the road. But I am being aware too, so I will be ready when he comes to do battle with me in the future!!!!!!
Old 09-01-2016, 10:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

It's the inner addictive voice ie associated with urges & cravings with said addiction

There are many tools that are useful in fighting against it like what your doing now talking with us this is pro active as is 'playing the tape' where you see yourself at the end of your drinking rather than that first drink

One is too many a thousand is never enough

Urge surfing - http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

Carol ID's Craving link - http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-recovery.html
Old 09-01-2016, 01:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
quat

I use the term to mean any of my thoughts of future alcohol, and any doubts or fears of failing to live by my decision to Never drink again, and to never change my mind about that decision.
When I personify/or characterize "It" , I do it metaphorically. I do not think there is a separate entity other than myself that can cause me to take action. AV or Beast thoughts percolate 'up' , I recognize them, separate them as not representing rational choices and then dismiss them.
I found the more often they popped up and were met with resolve to not change my mind, the less dangerous, scary and threatening they seemed and the more pathetic they became, more like a temper tantrum from a spoiled child.
There are really great threads about these ideas in the Secular Connections forum here on SR.
Old 09-01-2016, 01:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It's the sneaking lying devil that says we can only have one. I used to think of it as a Dementer from Harry Potter and fight it.

Now I ignore it and eat ice cream or dark chocolate instead
Old 09-01-2016, 02:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

AV = addictive voice, for anyone else reading.

It's part of Rational Recoverys approach - what they call AVRT (Addictive Voice Recognition Technique)

Anyone interested can read more deeply about it in the Secular Connections forum:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...r-connections/
Old 09-01-2016, 07:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Might not be for everyone, but identifying my AV and seeing it for what it is was a key turning point in my recovery. Once I identified it, it seemed much easier for me to shut it down. Now over 4 years.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Addictive voice. It's thoughts from our old primitive survival brain that cares noting for us, even if we die. Is not reasoning, rational or has common sense. All it wants to do is survive at our cost. Recognize it, see it for what it is, but don't feed it. That's my understanding. I use Rational Recovery in addition to AA. The "crash course" on the RR site explains it very well short and to the point.