Notices

help

Old 08-31-2016, 12:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

help

I think I may withdrawing but I'm not sure.
I've been drinking heavily for a long time bit I've only had one night off in the last 7 weeks. I woke up Monday morning very achey. I thought it was the start of flu and took some tablets and felt better.
I figured it couldn't be withdrawal as the alcohol would still be in my system from the night before so how can I be withdrawing from something still there.
Later that afternoon it came back, I aced everywhere, was exhausted and restless. I went to bed.
Tuesday morning the diarrhoea started. Since then I very needed to take regular infused to keep the pains away, I hurt everywhere!! I don't know if this is causing the diarrhoea but it got worse last night.
Today I continue to be very listless, struggle with simple tasks, don't have energy or patience for my 5 year old I hurt everywhere and I'm waiting to see if the imodium works. I thought gastric flu would be getting better by now.
Is this withdrawal?
Old 08-31-2016, 12:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Adelina, a lot of that sounds very familiar, for me I had very little energy to do much, despite then not being able to fall asleep, plus my digestive system was all over the place also.

Things will get better with more time, if like me and it took years of drinking to get to this point, it's going to take more than a few days for the body to adjust to not having what it has had for so long.

Though if you get really concerned about anything do check in with a Dr to be safe, you can do this!!
Old 08-31-2016, 01:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hi Adelina, those symptoms don't really sound like withdrawal symptoms to me, if they last any longer I would make a precautionary doctors visit
Old 08-31-2016, 01:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Even though I drank for 3 yrs., after I detoxed I was weak as a kitten for 2 months. I was extremely malnourished and was incapable of sleeping the entire time (and sleep is necessary for healing). People here will tell you to go to a DR. It's up to you.
I did spend a year researching the effects of drinking and withdrawal a year before I quit. I read that the Central Nervous System is extremely sensitive and that we may feel aches and pains far more during/after withdrawal. And, of course, your digestive system will have to adjust. I would try to rest and stay hydrated as much as possible. Of course, not drinking can only be good.
Old 08-31-2016, 01:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Can you get to your local ER ?
Old 08-31-2016, 01:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Could be withdrawal, even the day after drinking. For me I eventually got to the point in my drinking where I would go into withdrawals almost immediately the following day and pretty much had to drink all the time to stave them off. It really came on suddenly too.

Having said that, only a doctor can determine if your gastric issues are related to withdrawal or some kind of flu, it could easily be either one, or even both. Excessive alcohol consumption on a daily basis can destroy just about every system in your body in some shape or form over time.

Glad you came here to ask though, there's a lot of resources here if you do decide that quitting and sobriety is what you seek. For the immediate health problems perhaps a walk-in clinic or urgent care might be the best choice?
Old 08-31-2016, 01:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That could very well be withdrawal.
But you won't know for sure (or be completely safe) unless you see a doctor as fast as possible. Alcohol withdrawal at moments can seem benign but can turn very dangerous very quickly. Please see a doctor so you can get off the booze as safely as you can .
Best of luck to you!
Old 08-31-2016, 02:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

As some have said, it might be withdrawal - those symptoms are certainly not unknown to me and by the end of my drinking years they would last for 3 days or more with me sometimes.

but...none of us are Drs. Why not go see a Dr and get a definite answer about what's wrong?

It's really important, even more so if you have a little one to look after?

D