Notices

Key to recovery

Old 08-31-2016, 06:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Key to recovery

A key component in any successful recovery is support and strong relationships.

A key to recovery is active participation in other activities.

A key to recovery is the development of self-worth through work, through study, through exercise.

A key to recovery is full engagement with a life worth living.

I just read this and decided to print it off and save it as I need some reminding of what recovery is all about at the moment - thought I'd share it.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Yep, it's much more than just stopping drinking or using. IMO, if you're not ready to do all the work you'll most likely be frustrated by many relapses.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No relapses - yet - altho I know it's coming very soon if I don't do something about it and step it up - no drinking and a couple of sessions with counsellors apart its falling apart.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Key to recovery is also letting go of the desire - something I've been really struggling with again lately.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You forgot the first, most important one;

A sincere desire to live life fully, richly, with presence - in sobriety.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Have you ever thought of a mindfulness course Andy?

(Laughing)

Keep changing it up Andy. Try a bit of alternative stuff.

Paint, dance, study Buddhism, get an allotment.

Look up the definition of dry-drunk. I don't know what it means but it's something that came into my head when I though about you earlier on.

Hugs :-)

Simon
Old 08-31-2016, 10:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
AA Member

Originally Posted by tufty13 View Post
Nothing Changes if Nothing Changes

Nicotine Free since
Marijuana Free since
Alcohol Free since 02/11/15

i like this

Nicotine Free since 9/1/1992
Marijuana Free since 1/16/1992
Alcohol Free since 1/3/1992

Old 08-31-2016, 11:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Nice
Old 08-31-2016, 12:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank You Andy your contribution is appreciated .
Old 08-31-2016, 05:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great post!!
Old 08-31-2016, 05:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

This is a wonderful post but the true key is doing them. Sobriety is about action no amount of thought is going to resolve our problems. What are we going to do today the will move us forward towards our goals
Old 08-31-2016, 06:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good stuff, Andy.
Old 09-01-2016, 03:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
This is a wonderful post but the true key is doing them. Sobriety is about action no amount of thought is going to resolve our problems. What are we going to do today the will move us forward towards our goals
I know this really is the key part of it and its upto me to do something about it - I've got to the point where I'm trapped in my own thoughts and I've been questioning myself about where I'm going and what I'm doing also missing that quick fix and buzz that I always turned to but just know starting all that again cannot be an option at all - it will all unravel far too quickly and is not a path I can take.

That's when I start to feel so trapped by it all and really difficult to motivate myself & follow through with advice I have been given despite the best of intentions - to the point of so down and tormented that I just want to end it - there's no way that can happen either, my dad did the same and there is no way I could put my wife and daughter and the rest of the family through that - recurring images in my head of stabbing myself in the face and throat - no idea where that has come from and also a noose - that was the way my old man took his life - as I say none of these will happen but they are driving me nuts at times that I'm feeling that desperate and I can't escape it.

It's like I keep climbing then sliding then climbing then sliding but when I get to the where I was for a few days over the weekend feel I've lost interest in trying any further to start climbing again - the fix previously would have had me flying out of there instantly but I realise the crash that would inevitably follow would be worse than previous too - can't go back to that either.
Old 09-01-2016, 03:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by RedAndy View Post
I know this really is the key part of it and its upto me to do something about it - I've got to the point where I'm trapped in my own thoughts and I've been questioning myself about where I'm going and what I'm doing also missing that quick fix and buzz that I always turned to but just know starting all that again cannot be an option at all - it will all unravel far too quickly and is not a path I can take.

That's when I start to feel so trapped by it all and really difficult to motivate myself & follow through with advice I have been given despite the best of intentions - to the point of so down and tormented that I just want to end it - there's no way that can happen either, my dad did the same and there is no way I could put my wife and daughter and the rest of the family through that - recurring images in my head of stabbing myself in the face and throat - no idea where that has come from and also a noose - that was the way my old man took his life - as I say none of these will happen but they are driving me nuts at times that I'm feeling that desperate and I can't escape it.

It's like I keep climbing then sliding then climbing then sliding but when I get to the where I was for a few days over the weekend feel I've lost interest in trying any further to start climbing again - the fix previously would have had me flying out of there instantly but I realise the crash that would inevitably follow would be worse than previous too - can't go back to that either.
It is not like your slide analogy. It is like climbing a mountain with each step getting closer to the summit. We didn't get sick in a day and we aren't going to get better in one either. Take one item on your list and write down one small but concrete action you are going to take. Keep working on the action until it is done.

Personally that is what I like about AA. The steps are a canned action plan to a new and wonderful life