Notices

Flexing Sober Muscles

Old 09-01-2016, 10:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

Flexing Sober Muscles

So, my parents are in town visiting, and staying with us for five(!) days. My mother is extremely narcissistic and will casually hand out passive-aggressive insults if she isn't getting enough attention. And my step father is very rude, irrational, and drinks like a fish. We went out to dinner tonight when they showed up, and of course, he was drinking, and at this altitude, he was fairly buzzed fairly quickly. I have already told them that I don't mind them drinking in my home, as long as they aren't getting wasted. I think tomorrow morning, I'm going to reemphasize that rule. And, if that doesn't work for them, there are hotels all around here where they can stay.

But, day one down, and I was a little stressed and anxious, but nothing I couldn't talk/breathe through. Tomorrow, we're spending the day in Boulder, so... I might be popping on here for some support from a bathroom on my cell phone. Regardless, I made it one day, and the tools I have worked on in my therapist's office are working in the "real world."
Old 09-01-2016, 10:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post. Many of us can relate to this situation, because it is sometimes challenging when we must spend our time with heavy drinkers. In the past, it's helped me to observe my guests first thing the next morning. They are usually very tired, shuffling along and suffering from headaches or other features of the hangover we are all so familiar with. For me, it's an opportunity to feel grateful for not ever having to feel that way again. I wish you the best of luck with your parents' visit.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

We'll be here SH

D
Old 09-01-2016, 11:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

You got this SweatyHands
Old 09-02-2016, 03:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I have a dry house. I get bombarded with alcohol everywhere else so my home is my refuge. I pay the bills I set the rules. I had a few hassles with relatives in the beginning but when they realized I was serious and it was non negotiable they just excepted it or didnt come
Old 09-02-2016, 09:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You can do this SweatyHands!!
Old 09-03-2016, 10:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

Today was a bit tougher. We went to take the train to Denver, and the train left the station as we were walking to the platform, and the next train was not for an hour. So, my stepfather threw a temper tantrum. I just got everyone back in the truck and went to the local farmer's market to kill some time. While there, I ended up getting a chair massage, which was a nice surprise. Then we went back to the train station and got to Denver. Then, and this is where it gets fun, we went to a street fair. I was surrounded by thousands of people, and I started to get kind of anxious. And then, I was treated to another tantrum from the stepfather. This was a bit much for me, and I started having a panic attack. But, I convinced everyone that we should walk back to the train. I was able to use this opportunity to do some walking meditation, and by the time we got on the train, I was pretty much back to my normal level of general discomfort in public. It wasn't fun, but I made it sober. And now it's time to sleep so we can do it again tomorrow.