Notices

Drunk dialing/texting/facebooking....

Old 08-31-2016, 11:22 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kgr103110 View Post
I have a family that doesn't communicate well... A lot of alcohol issues/estrangement.

When I got drunk I would call my aunts, uncles... My GRANDMOTHER... Sometimes brothers and sisters.... And cry about how none of us love each other. So mortifying. This was the reason I realized I needed help. My behavior completely alienated me from the rest of my family.

On really bad nights I would call old friends and exs.... I'd have to be totally blacked out for that, though.... And who am I kidding -- most of the time I was.

It's humiliating to think about it.

Thanks for posting.
I did the SAME THING. I would get all sentimental about family and the lack of us being close. I would call aunts & cousins I hadn't talked to in years, crying about how we aren't close. Begging for us to have a reunion or something. The next morning I would totally regret it because I honestly didn't care if we got together. . Or I would Facebook cousins that I barely knew and tell them how much I love them. Oh God! When we are drunk we love EVERYBODY!!!! I would also call friends that I haven't seen in a while and make plans to hang out. I would wake up the next morning and see the texts and feel sick to my stomach because I didn't want to do what I had planned. For some reason when I was drunk it sounded like a grand idea to take up my whole Saturday at the mall with an old friend When all I really wanted to do was sleep my hangover away. I would make up something that I had to do instead to get out of it. I think my friends started catching on to what I was doing and my number of friends steadily decreased over the years. So sad.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:56 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Too many to tell. Would sometimes turn for my phone off for a good 24 hours after a particularly bad binge. Would avoid FB for days, if not weeks, out of shame. I have no control over myself when I drink - I will do or say anything to offend someone. I am a person I don't recognize. It is one of many reasons why I don't drink anymore.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:57 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jsbodhi View Post
Me too- I started deleting the messages before I could even read what I wrote- I just couldn't bear to read them anymore
Bingo, I would delete everything on my end - I know that would not serve to delete it on their end, but I could not bear to be reminded of the awful things I said. A sad, blissful ignorance. Never going back.
Old 09-01-2016, 03:52 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I hate Facebook. If Facebook didn't exist I wouldn't know that the man I love is getting married to a woman he met on Facebook. I wouldn't have to read his messages to her proclaiming her as the love of his life.... Without Facebook I could go to bed at night not knowing what he is doing and I could hold onto the illusion that he really did love me and secretly yearns to have me back....
Each night I fight the urge to message her and all of his friendsto tell them what he really is like but it is not for me to tell but for them to find out.
Thank god I am not drinking as I know I would not be able to resist the urge and would undoubtedly end up facing a libel/slander/harassment suit. So maybe I should be grateful to Facebook as perhaps it keeps me sober .... Elle

Last edited by Dee74; 09-01-2016 at 04:48 PM. Reason: PM
Old 09-01-2016, 07:51 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I read this post a few days ago and reflected back on my own drunk texting. Glad those days are over. Ironically, the same night, my wonderful former sister-in-law -- whom I rarely see, as we live 1,500 miles away -- was visiting my ex in-laws and started texting me about how much she loves me, that we're still sisters, that my ex in-laws love me too and they wouldn't get pics of their grandkids if it weren't for me, etc etc. She went on and on. I could tell she probably had a few and started chuckling to myself. I used to talk/text excessively when I was drinking, too. I cringe when I think of some of the stuff I probably wrote!!
Old 09-01-2016, 04:04 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Yeah Iam bad news with a smart phone.

Only recently I decided to text and call my therapist at 1am to tell him how he should be doing his job. Needless to say Iam looking for a new one.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:10 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Drunk texting and FBing actually made me realize (among other things) that I had a serious drinking problem that I couldn't solve on my own. I lost a great job and a good doctor because of it, but maybe that's what I needed to finally accept the severity of my alcoholism.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:56 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have removed a number of off topic posts.

Dee
SR
Old 09-04-2016, 12:04 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I'm bumping this back, because I thought about it this morning.

At 10:30, just after my gf had left for church, I was making a second pot of coffee and my phone rang. I ran to answer it without looking at the number and it was this dude that I met just once, several months ago, who periodically drunk dials me. For context, it's not creepy for him to call me, we had met at a community event and he coordinates an aspect of the event, so he should call me periodically to include me in future events. But he's never done that - he just drunk dials me approximately every 4-6 weeks and goes on long political rants and laments that I never call him. He knows I'm in a relationship with another woman and I'm pretty confident he's not hitting on me. He's just doing what we were talking about in this thread.

Last time he called he admitted to me that he had been drinking at home for two days. I was still drinking then (although I was stone cold sober when I answered the phone) and it was easy for my AV to say "see. You're not THAT bad". Even today, I felt it welling up in there. "You never drunk dialed at 10:30 in the morning to someone you didn't even know".

But did I? And, even if I didn't, when will I?

I dunno. It was "sobering" to get that call this morning. I felt ill equipped for it, while simultaneously really wanting to help. But how do you help someone you don't know, who isn't saying they want help? Last time he called he told me AA isn't his thing. He can do it alone if he wants to. Today, I got off the phone so fast we didn't get to that. I just repeated that I had to go. Last time, I had not stopped drinking but was sober when he called. I was actually just finishing up work that day.

It's a beautiful day. And he is drinking vodka on this beautiful morning (well, it's afternoon now), holed up in his house, calling people he doesn't know to rant about US politics. I'm grateful to be here, and not there, but my God, I know what it's like to be there.

I feel like I could cry. It's a weird feeling, having my heart feel both heavy and light. We can't help people who won't help themselves. And I feel somehow vulnerable. I never drank with this guy, so it's not like I feel tempted, but it's something else I'm having a hard time putting my finger on. I guess he helped me today in a weird way, and I wish I could do the same. He also didn't help me, though. I don't want people calling me drunk. Maybe someday I can handle it, but today, I had to, protect myself. Which sounds weird because I am quite sure this dude is completely harmless.

Anyway, just thought I'd share this. Something happened with my computer so I just typed it for a second time.

Grateful for 24 days.

B
Old 09-04-2016, 12:17 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Done this sooo many times. Phone calls I don't remember, texts that are nonsense, Facebook posts that are just plain weird, etc.

You are certainly not alone on this one.
Old 09-04-2016, 02:43 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Yes. One of many reasons why I declared myself hopeless and surrendered.
Although we live but one day at a time, one of my slogans from AA that I carry is "Remember When". And on days where I feel weak, I can call up these awful memories as signposts of where I have been. It hurts me to even think of the embarassment I've caused myself. I know there are other parents in the school yard I used to be friendly with who ended up on the wrong side of my friendly 2:30am text/facebooking who will not speak to me or have my child over. I did all this. It's humbling.
So I think it's important sometimes to Remember When, otherwise we might lose track of where we are headed.
Old 09-04-2016, 06:32 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bexxed View Post
I'm bumping this back, because I thought about it this morning.

At 10:30, just after my gf had left for church, I was making a second pot of coffee and my phone rang. I ran to answer it without looking at the number and it was this dude that I met just once, several months ago, who periodically drunk dials me. For context, it's not creepy for him to call me, we had met at a community event and he coordinates an aspect of the event, so he should call me periodically to include me in future events. But he's never done that - he just drunk dials me approximately every 4-6 weeks and goes on long political rants and laments that I never call him. He knows I'm in a relationship with another woman and I'm pretty confident he's not hitting on me. He's just doing what we were talking about in this thread.

Last time he called he admitted to me that he had been drinking at home for two days. I was still drinking then (although I was stone cold sober when I answered the phone) and it was easy for my AV to say "see. You're not THAT bad". Even today, I felt it welling up in there. "You never drunk dialed at 10:30 in the morning to someone you didn't even know".

But did I? And, even if I didn't, when will I?

I dunno. It was "sobering" to get that call this morning. I felt ill equipped for it, while simultaneously really wanting to help. But how do you help someone you don't know, who isn't saying they want help? Last time he called he told me AA isn't his thing. He can do it alone if he wants to. Today, I got off the phone so fast we didn't get to that. I just repeated that I had to go. Last time, I had not stopped drinking but was sober when he called. I was actually just finishing up work that day.

It's a beautiful day. And he is drinking vodka on this beautiful morning (well, it's afternoon now), holed up in his house, calling people he doesn't know to rant about US politics. I'm grateful to be here, and not there, but my God, I know what it's like to be there.

I feel like I could cry. It's a weird feeling, having my heart feel both heavy and light. We can't help people who won't help themselves. And I feel somehow vulnerable. I never drank with this guy, so it's not like I feel tempted, but it's something else I'm having a hard time putting my finger on. I guess he helped me today in a weird way, and I wish I could do the same. He also didn't help me, though. I don't want people calling me drunk. Maybe someday I can handle it, but today, I had to, protect myself. Which sounds weird because I am quite sure this dude is completely harmless.

Anyway, just thought I'd share this. Something happened with my computer so I just typed it for a second time.

Grateful for 24 days.

B
Thank you for sharing this. It really puts things into perspective. And congrats for 24 days!! That's awesome!!
Old 09-04-2016, 06:36 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Irnldy001 View Post
Yes. One of many reasons why I declared myself hopeless and surrendered.
Although we live but one day at a time, one of my slogans from AA that I carry is "Remember When". And on days where I feel weak, I can call up these awful memories as signposts of where I have been. It hurts me to even think of the embarassment I've caused myself. I know there are other parents in the school yard I used to be friendly with who ended up on the wrong side of my friendly 2:30am text/facebooking who will not speak to me or have my child over. I did all this. It's humbling.
So I think it's important sometimes to Remember When, otherwise we might lose track of where we are headed.

Yes!!! I can relate to the other parents thing. So embarrasing yet humbling as you said. I'm glad I don't have to worry about causing further damage anymore.