Notices

Ativan for dentist - what do I do??

Old 08-29-2016, 06:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Ativan for dentist - what do I do??

Help! Tomorrow morning I have an incredibly scary root canal visit for an unfinished root canal like 8 years ago or something. I already have intense anxiety to begin with - GAD and SAD. I have one Ativan for tomorrow's appointment if I feel I need it. It was always alcohol I was addicted to, but, I'm terrified that this pill might trigger a relapse? Mainly because I heard someone who was sober saying they stay away from those things too.... so I'm just not sure. But I'm so scared and I'm not sure if I could make it to the dentist without it....what do recovered people do in these instances? Just not take anything or.....? I just realised I have this appointment tomorrow and so I wasn't able to ask the advice of my therapist or anyone else.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I have a lot of difficulty going to the dentist. Apparently it has to do with childhood trauma. I jokingly say they have to give me a general aneasthetic just to get me in the chair, but it's not that far from the truth.

They gave me ativan for the first couple of days when I was detoxing. On the third day I woke up fairly straight and refused to take anymore. I do not like the feeling of no control it gave me. Drugs were never my thing.

At the dentist now I always have a local, and I always insist in 20 minutes for the local to work before they start their work. Last time it was to have a tooth pulled. I prayed for courage, had my local, but the procedure left me very shaky at the end. It was tough and I was only just able to drive home.

A few years back I had laser eye surgery. They gave me a "mild" sedative that day, which sent me to sleep. Good thing too, or I would have heard the screams of the woman ahead of me! I took it and the post-op painkillers exactly as prescribed and had no problems whatsoever.

I am not sure how I would react to ativan. It is quite a strong drug with an addictive nature. Maybe I would ask if there was something with less of a track record in addiction.

My AA experience tells me the first line of attack/defence is prayer. But it also tells me to take advantage of what the professionals offer. I have no history with drugs so I suspect I would either opt for the drug, or just have the tooth pulled and avoid the long procedure. Eventually I will run out of teeth with the latter approach.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I battle with horrible anxiety issues as well and am prescribed another benzo. It has never given me any problems, and has helped me to at least keep my sanity when I go out in public.
Outlets like AA a pretty anti-medication, but others are not. Medications are there for a reason and some people do truly need them for their conditions.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If it is a medication your doctor has prescribed for your anxiety I think you will be fine. I also deal with anxiety and I take medication as prescribed by my doctor. I have been sober for 8 months and have never used my anxiety medication inappropriately.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

So, I am leaning towards not taking it. When it comes to pills I tend to want to abuse them actually...somehow my brain was in a bit of a denial mode perhaps because I didn't even mention it. Like, pain pills for example. I can't take those anymore (actually most pain pills are off limits for me now because I can't have Tylenol as per doctors orders....because of terrible liver). Any kind of pill that changes my thinking....that scares me. I'm so afraid that I will feel too good. That I will like this too much. I mean, it's possible that I'll be so scared of the dentist that the Ativan will just barely cover that, take the edge off. But maybe not. I don't know, and that's what scares me. I do have a bottle of passionflower so I am wondering if I should use that.... in studies, it's been shown to be as effective as oxazepam (I'm guessing that is a similar drug to lorazepam)? I would have to take like 45 drops for there to be a chance of there having that effect, but it's worth a shot, right? I might decide tomorrow to take the pill....but I'm leaning towards not. I have to be truly honest with myself. If I'm worrying this much, maybe there's a reason. I just feel like I'm taking a big chance.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'd say don't take it. It acts the same way as alcohol on your brain, I was told by a therapist and a Dr, and a psychiatrist.

They'll numb you for the dental work. I've had really traumatic dental experiences as a kid and my dentist used to prescribe me something for anxiety, but now I just don't take anything.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My issue was alcohol, too. I have taken benzos before for short term issues with no problem. I don't think one ativan is going to send you spiraling into relapse! But if you don't want to take it, don't. I've had root canals and the dentist just numbed me. That and laughing gas, but I hate that stuff, it makes me nauseated.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Layali View Post
So, I am leaning towards not taking it. When it comes to pills I tend to want to abuse them actually...somehow my brain was in a bit of a denial mode perhaps because I didn't even mention it. Like, pain pills for example. I can't take those anymore (actually most pain pills are off limits for me now because I can't have Tylenol as per doctors orders....because of terrible liver). Any kind of pill that changes my thinking....that scares me. I'm so afraid that I will feel too good. That I will like this too much. I mean, it's possible that I'll be so scared of the dentist that the Ativan will just barely cover that, take the edge off. But maybe not. I don't know, and that's what scares me. I do have a bottle of passionflower so I am wondering if I should use that.... in studies, it's been shown to be as effective as oxazepam (I'm guessing that is a similar drug to lorazepam)? I would have to take like 45 drops for there to be a chance of there having that effect, but it's worth a shot, right? I might decide tomorrow to take the pill....but I'm leaning towards not. I have to be truly honest with myself. If I'm worrying this much, maybe there's a reason. I just feel like I'm taking a big chance.
Hon, For what it's worth you could just take some Benedryl or an OTC "sleep aid" containing Dyphenhydramine (same ingredient in both). It should make you drowsy.
I'm sorry this is making you so anxious. I have had 8 RC's and I could sleep through them. You must know that there will be no pain, right? Most of it is anticipation of pain. When the dentist injects the gum, I take in a slow deep breath and invite the 'pain' in. And I don't feel it (breathing through the pain: which is very slight anyway). You should not feel a thing during the treatment - except fingers and all that.
But careful driving under the influence of Ativan or the other . You'll be fine
Old 08-29-2016, 10:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'd ask people to stick to personal experience please and not make recommendations.

I've never been on Ativan, Layali, so I can't help you there.

I have had several root canals tho.

All of my root canals have been pretty painless tho - dealt with easily with otc pain relief or antibiotics if it was a complicated one.

Dentistry is not like it used to be

D
Old 08-29-2016, 10:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Every time I go to the dentist there's pain. And at different dentist offices too. I now ask them to give me like twice as much pain stuff, and still, when they start working on me - stabbing, horrible pain - and they need to stop and give me more. And then maybe more....it's at the point where I'm just so terrified to go now. I would love it if the stuff they give me would just work?!? There was one dentist where it didn't hurt at all, but he's not in business anymore! This all sucks.

Also I get nervous just because of my general and social anxiety to begin with. And, because I always have to pee when I'm there and I get scared I'll have to interrupt everything for that.... I have a ride there and back though, just in case, so that part is covered. I'm going to bed soon...in the morning I think I'll play it by ear, how I'm doing. I could try the passionflower. It could work (without the potential "high" of other drugs)
Old 08-29-2016, 10:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Layali,
Dentists (even in my town) have become more sensitive to alleviating a patient's pain; especially since they work with so many kids.
If by pain medication you mean a local anesthesia, it is not uncommon for me to need more in the middle of a treatment. The reason is that I have a high metabolism and burn through it quickly. I tell the dentist this and he gives me extra at the outset. Maybe you are like this too. And if your driver is a friend, talk to them. It might help you calm down. You will do just fine, and it will be over
Old 08-29-2016, 11:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ativan is one of the stronger benzodiazepines.
Would one get you hooked,probably not.
Expressing your nervousness to the dentist would ensure his care re anaesthesia.
The longer use of those drugs can cause a quite unpleasant withdrawal syndrome. I know!
Old 08-29-2016, 11:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I do feel for you. I'm also very anxious about dentists due to childhood trauma (although I cannot ever remember that day, the fear nevr subsided despite lots of work on the part of my local health centre / dental clinic to address and reduce this). My fear is so bad that even when a filling fell out about ten years ago, it was only the end of last week that I finally managed to get myself to go and get ut sorted. Actually the pain of was feeling was from the tooth next to the one with a big hole on it, so I still need to go back and get that one sorted, but I'm not so anxious now.

She did suggest getting a prescription for anxiety from my doctor. I told her I would rather not go down that line since I've stopped drinking and this might interfere with my resolve. (Didn't use the A word, but left her to join the dots so to speak). I was truly amazed by how much things have changed in 10 years. The dentist chair had a back massage facility which I think helped, as the vibrations from that detracted from those happening in my mouth. She told me to just move my hand like this (little wave) if I wanted her to stop, and promised that she 2ould do so. The injections - she gave me 4 all in the one side of my mouth meant that I really truly couldn't feel a thing. For hours.

As an AAer, prayer is a big tool in my recovery, and I did quite a lot of prayer and simple meditation exercises (whenever I realised I wasn't breathing properly ) trying to focus on counting my breathes, and also the "God in (breath in 1 2 3 4 ) Fear out (breathe out 1 2 3 4 )" one, while in the dentist chair. Also, doing silly lists in my head. Red things. Kitchen utensils. That kind of nonsense.

You can do this. I promise. And you will feel so much better after its done.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ativan, as a short to intermediate half-life benzo, is intended for isolated anxiety-inducing events. If it was prescribed by a doctor who knew your entire situation, take it as directed.

Note that benzodiazepines act on similar neurotransmitter systems as alcohol, which is why benzos can be dangerous for alcoholics. However, there is obviously a difference between ingesting a substance to get high and ingesting a substance as directed by a doctor for a legitimate medical issue (anxiety).

Always tell your doctor about your history of addictive behavior. Certain drugs of a particular class can be more addictive than other drugs of that class.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Not giving medical advice, but I know for me - I've been prescribed Ativan for years, for anxiety. I actually only take it at night to help me sleep (and it helps keep me from grinding/clenching my teeth). While benzos and alcohol are both depressants, I never found the effects to be similar enough to want to abuse it. I don't take it during the day even though it's ordered twice a day, as it just makes me tired.
If I were in your shoes, and considering that you only have one pill, I would take it - especially if the alternative is not being able to go through with the appointment. I'm leery of supplements/herbals, as they can have side effects in addition to what's intended (increased bleeding, etc).
Good luck.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Don't take it.
Explain that you are anxious to the dentist. He will take it slow.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Health food stores have natural products for anxiety that may work for you.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:53 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hey everyone!!
So, I went with my gut and I didn't take it. I just know that pretty much every kind of pill I've taken to date has triggered me, either to take more of those pills or to want to start drinking again....so, I didn't chance it. With the doctor, I've been telling him for several months that I don't drink anymore. I never really went into detail about how bad it was though. But I obviously should. Like I said, it's not even so much the getting addicted to the Ativan as it being a trigger to drink. The last major relapse I had was after pain pills...

Anyway - I took passionflower! The higher dose, the same dose taken in the studies that were conducted on it (it was as good as oxazepam but without the negative side effects). It totally worked!! I've taken it for isolated anxiety-provoking events before or just when I was feeling generally anxious some days, but always smaller doses that just barely relaxed me and took the edge of.

But this time, I was definitely relaxed...although I didn't realise I was even any different until the assistant took me to the room and started talking to her and I just started talking and rambling on about all this stuff.....like no filter, and super relaxed. But without that fuzzy, warm high feeling. Just the absence of the tension and the mental filter and so on. The dose I took was high so it was like I was sedated in a way...while in the chair, I was just drifting into and out of like dreamlike states.....but not really dreaming? Well. I've been sedated before so it was pretty similar. I'm really glad I tried this instead because it hasn't triggered any desire to drink (on top of the thoughts that had been popping up recently because of my 6 month anniversary) So yay.

Thanks everyone for all of your comments!
Old 08-30-2016, 04:08 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you got through it Layali
D
Old 08-30-2016, 07:13 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I was wandering how it went today. Glad it went well.