Notices

day 10

Old 08-29-2016, 09:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day 10

Hi all I've been sobet only 10 days now, starting to feel really good. However I have not been very hungry, and not eaten a lot. Is this normal? Withdrawal symptoms have seemed to stop and I'm actually sleeping pretty good, anyway just wanted to see if anyone else has problems eating. I was a heavy drinker for a few years, 8 to 10 drinks a night and weekends even more sometimes.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Mick75

It takes me a few days as well after the binges to get my appetite back. Usually I am so depressed and disgusted with myself that I don't feel like doing anything. I have had short stints at sobriety lasting 2-3 months but always cave in even when my whole being is telling me that I would either go insane or die if I keep doing this to myself. I have to be extra careful when I start feeling really good because that is when I tend to forget everything alcohol has cost me and find myself repeating the same cycle over and over again. That being said, congratulations on being sober for 10 days!
Old 08-29-2016, 10:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Mick--Way to go on 10 days! Not sure about the lack of appetite. Wish I had that problem. Three weeks in and I seem to have gained 5 pounds. Wanna get a handle on that because last time I got sober I ballooned up to over 300 lbs. I gave myself the green light to eat whatever I wanted in early sobriety, figuring it was better than not drinking. Think I may have let food take the place of alcohol. This time around I am trying to eat healthy, watch my portion size, and monitor my weight. Adding exercise will help too. Still allow myself my dish of ice cream at the end of the day though. Lol.

Anyway... No good advice here except to say get plenty of fluids and try to make sure what you're eating is nutritionally sound. Alcohol depletes the body of much needed nutrients. And consult with your doc if your lack of appetite continues to be a concern!!
Old 08-29-2016, 10:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AA Member

Old 08-29-2016, 11:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Mick congrats on ten days nice to meet you
Old 08-29-2016, 04:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

me again

Originally Posted by Mick75 View Post
Hi all I've been sobet only 10 days now, starting to feel really good. However I have not been very hungry, and not eaten a lot. Is this normal? Withdrawal symptoms have seemed to stop and I'm actually sleeping pretty good, anyway just wanted to see if anyone else has problems eating. I was a heavy drinker for a few years, 8 to 10 drinks a night and weekends even more sometimes.
Hi all, I was not sure how to add to my original post, I'm Lutheran and do believe in God, today I was driving home, road work caused me to take a detour, which brought me by the same building where the local AA meetings take place and there is a pizza shop there too. The smell of pizza made me hungry, I just finished a slice and a pop. Now I'm going to go into my 1st AA meeting, I knew it was here, I've wanted to open those doors for at least 2 years, fear, stupidity whatever has always stopped me, not today I've fought hard for these 10 days, now I'm gonna take action and keep this going. Funny thing was if not for detour I had planned to stop at a bar by my house, telling myself, hey two beers won't kill you. I just called my wife told her I'm going for it, she was thrilled I ate something and even more thrilled I'm finally taking this step. Wish me luck, and yes I believe in angles, even if they work on road crews. Deep breath and here I go. Mick
Old 08-29-2016, 05:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good luck mick sounds like your taking the right steps
Old 08-29-2016, 05:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Mick, that's too cool. Please, when you get a moment, tell us how it went. The more people that share experiences, especially those related to actually taking action with the available programs/help, the better others can be encouraged the same step.

Great for you. You deserve a shout out!!!!!!
Old 08-29-2016, 05:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Mick

D
Old 08-29-2016, 05:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Mick - I'm really glad you found an appetite & are going to the meeting. I recall not being very hungry in the first couple weeks, not sure why.

I hope you'll find the meeting helpful - let us know how it was. Congrats on your 10 days - you're off to a great start.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi all,
Me again, wanted to post an update, after the pizza, I really haven't eaten, some crackers but that's all, but I did attend my 1st AA meeting last night! I was scared to open those doors and walk in and I'm a big dude, I was a boxer in HS, played football both HS and Jr. College, but man was I scared to open that door, lucky for me a couple of guys were outside smoking, I don't smoke but I dip so I joined them in the nicotine club. Kevin asked if I was there for meeting and I said yes, he joked and told me all ya gotta do is open that 10,000lb door. That took the pressure off me right away, I introduced myself when they asked for 1st timers and everyone was real nice.
My wife was so happy I went, my kids too, this time I'm gonna make it, I know, my booze brain had forgotten how to be happy, this is the fight of my life and, real smash mouth stuff but I'm gonna win this time I know.
Today is day 11 I'm outside waiting for my 2nd meeting to start, I thank you all for the words of encouragement, today this day, I'm going to be sober and make myself, my wife, my kids proud. Thank you all.
Mick
Old 08-30-2016, 03:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Mick! You seem stoked. That's way cool. I am so glad it worked out good. I am fixing to walk out the door to my AA meeting now. I'm glad you're givingit a chance. Like our group says at the end of every meeting..."Keep coming back, it works if you work it!"
Old 08-30-2016, 03:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Mick!!
Old 08-30-2016, 03:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi! Loved reading your thread- best wishes to you!
Old 08-30-2016, 07:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

my 2nd AA meeting

Originally Posted by Mick75 View Post
Hi all ya all,
I had my 2nd AA meeting today, and all I can say, is if your in trouble please seek your lical AA meeting, I'm also seeing a physicist because I was molested as a young boy, which explains my lean toward violence in my sport choice and some of the dumb s$&t I've done over the years. As I said in my previous post, this is it, I'm going smash mouth, trench fighting with this monster, I told my wife what happened when I was 10yro, and how I wanted to move on, she held me so close, she praised me for wanting to get sober, and seeking help, AA may or may not be the final answer but it is a start. I'm not sure how mucg I'm allowed to talk about here, but I'm in a good place now, new friends at AA are helping me see booze is not the answer, nor is pain killers. It is strange to me, when I busted a hand or ankle coaches gave me a shot and put me back out there, pain was something to be covered....that is not the case pain, fear, depression can not be covered it must be delt with like a blow to the jaw, it hits you and by God you bettet hit the F$&k back or it will break you! I enjoyed my meeting, people with same problems talked to me and listened to what I had to say, everyone out here seek help, talk,cry, hug, scream, do what you have to do......just stay sober, alcohol pills ect will not help you, God and friends will keep you safe and warm against the storm.
I know I may be rambling but I feel I must put it all out there, just say it, deal with it, love those around me or give up and just drink till I'm no longer relevant. I refuse to believe I'm invariant, I'm a former strong side guard, a heavyweight boxer,a father,a husband,a son, yea I F$&ked up, but I'm fighting, and I've been,broken,beaten up, bloodied and damaged and I will not give up not now not ever, I will fight until I can no longer fight. This is my gold medal, my championship ring my last fight. It is a old saying but I'm coming home with my shield held high, or my body upon it.
I'm sorry if I'm rambling, but I can't fail and I love my new friends in AA and although I'm new here I love you all for your support, please if your like me, male or female, reach out embrace help and for the love of God stat sober.
P.s. I'm going fishing with my sons and I'm going to love and teach them what a man really is, loving, protecting, caring.
Love ya all,
Mick
Old 08-31-2016, 12:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well Mick, you get it. What you just said makes all the sense in the world. So many people seem to think that AA is a brainwash scheme, but it's not. I'm glad you found that out. The closeness and understanding is a game changer. I can tell you have the strength and power to overcome the alcohol beast. I hope I do too.
Old 08-31-2016, 03:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Mick - what you call 'rambling', I call ' speaking from the heart' and it's fantastic to see It's posts like yours, that make the most impact on me, here at SR, so thank you!!
Old 08-31-2016, 05:52 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Love, love reading your posts and updates!!

Big, devoted AA-er here. You are at a great start- perhaps the suggested "90 in 90" would be a good goal for you. I think I hit about 82 meetings in my first 90 days; at 191 days, my schedule makes it so I go to meetings at different times (not the noon I did every time at the beginning) but I go - 4 to 7 a week.

Think about getting a sponsor soon- it sounds like you have found a clubhouse where people are welcoming, which is how it is supposed to be!!

Check in or PM people like berrybean - or you are welcome to do, me- who are always going to refer back to AA along with our "secular" comments. Also, look for and pay attention to MountainManBob's threads. Always excellent food for thought, and personal contributions of what AA calls "experience, strength and hope."

Good luck! You can do it.