Notices

Lots and lots of feelings

Old 08-29-2016, 09:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lots and lots of feelings

Hi everyone

I'm so excited to say that yesterday made 4 weeks for me, and I will have an official month Wednesday!
I'm doing pretty ok so far. I attribute the success I've had so far 100% to SR. I'm so grateful for this site and everyone here.

Unfortunately, I have been feeling a lot since about mid-week last week. My mind is clearer, I'm remembering things I've pushed down and numbed with alcohol. It's all depressing me a lot, and my social anxiety is like skyrocketing.
I have been going to (not sobriety-related) spiritual classes on Sundays for about 2 months, and I love what I'm learning, but I'm not bonding with anyone, and my mind goes directly to how no one likes me, trying to figure out why they don't, and how lonely I am. I knew that I used alcohol to feel less lonely for a while, I just hadn't realized how much til now.

Anyway though, I'm also having a lot of trouble finding a therapist who has experience in addiction/substance abuse and is on my insurance. It's frustrating, and making me scared that I'll never get the help I really need to work out my issues.

So, are all these feelings and memories common when you stop drinking? Is it some kind of withdrawal symptom that they just seem worse now? Or maybe they seem worse bc I'm used to silencing them...hmm.
Well if anyone has any advice on things to read about this kind of thing, or anything else I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!
Old 08-29-2016, 09:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh yes! You are totally normal. Feelings consumed me early on. I drank for so long that I felt like Rip Van Winkle...I woke up and my world was on fire and I did not know how to deal! I didn't know how to TALK to people without booze. Just take it easy! This is totally par for the course. There's a great book I read from most mornings called "The Way" by E. Stanley Jones. Since you are interested in spirituality I think you would like it! It is a great comfort to me. Also, "The Prophet" by Khalil Gibran...that has always been one of my favorites!

Big hugs to you and congrats on one month!!!

XOXOXO
Old 08-29-2016, 09:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Big congrats on 30 days & be sure to check SR's booklist
Old 08-29-2016, 09:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Bunny!

Yes! I feel like I don't know how to talk to people anymore, and anything I say is stupid/boring. Blah..

Thanks for the book recommendations, though! Checking them out now