Notices

Rehab tmrw (going for 1st time in my life)

Old 08-28-2016, 07:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rehab tmrw (going for 1st time in my life)

So scared. Tomorrow I'm off to rehab. I've never been. Can anyone tell me what to expect? I'm terrified and cried all night. I hope I get there. I was supposed to go last week and freaked out.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I never been but I'm wishing you well Augustine

D
Old 08-28-2016, 08:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello Augustine1. I can't tell you what rehab will be like. I can tell you that I know and understand how scared you are and the fear that goes along with getting help for your addiction. I can also assure you, that getting clean will be best decision you've ever made for yourself.
Since you're here asking, you know how scary your addiction has become or is becoming. You CAN make this stop. You CAN go through rehab and you CAN get and stay sober.
Please, go get the help you need to help yourself. Before long, you'll be amazed at how much better you're feeling and how less scary life can be.
I wish you all the best tonight. Keep us updated when you can.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Don't be scared. You are doing a positive thing! I went to rehab in 2013 and it was the best thing for me. I learned so much, healed a lot, met amazing people, got the tools necessary to survive back out in the world.....it is a safe place. Embrace it.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have never been, but I am so proud of you for taking this step. Mera had an excellent thread about her rehab journey. You should be able to search for it, her posts were very inspirational, and she learned so much.

You may be scared tomorrow, but keep in mind the reason you are doing this and how you will feel when you complete the program and leave with tools to help you continue on your recovery journey and remain sober.

You've got this, looking forward to hearing about it.:-)
Old 08-28-2016, 08:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I went once, in 2007. It depends on the specific place you're going. In general, they take good care of you -- if still using, you might first go to a detox for one or more days where you're medically supervised. Then you go to the rehab and there's a program of psychotherapy, group work, homework with a workbook, and maybe yoga, hikes, visits to a gym, etc. Some places take you to offbeat things like equine therapy (pet the nice horsie). If it's a 12-step place they'll likely take you to one or two AA meetings. Non-12-step they make take you to a SMART Recovery meeting.

When you arrive they will go through your things to make sure there's nothing hidden in there, as you can understand. You may or may not have one or more roommates and will probably be assigned various household duties or possibly cooking dinner for everyone.

I think the rehab industry has come a long way since my experience. This particular place was operated by a bit of a charlatan, and he was outed a bit later and forced to close down. But I get the impression most are quite good, honest and helpful now. A lot of rehab is teaching you how to get on a schedule and live a more mainstream life -- you get used to going to a morning meeting, with other set appointments during the day. I felt very well taken care of.

I would not take anything of value -- there were some sticky fingers at mine -- and they may confiscate your phone for a few days at first. My understanding of that is so people can't phone their drug dealers. But really, nothing to be afraid of. I think you will enjoy it.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you so much everyone. I'm terrified. I did the detox first and now it's just rehab on the list. Detox was hard enough. HA, thought I could just end the 11 year addiction there. A few days didn't do the job though. I'm glad I'm now medically stable, but I need the long-term support.

Thank you dear friends for your kindness.

Augustine
Old 08-28-2016, 08:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

All of the above sounds pretty close to my experience. Nothing to fear. Get out of it what you can.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by augustine1 View Post
So scared. Tomorrow I'm off to rehab. I've never been. Can anyone tell me what to expect? I'm terrified and cried all night. I hope I get there. I was supposed to go last week and freaked out.
I expect you will receive a warm welcome and made to feel at home. If you have been drinking or drugging the first few days will likely be in detox, which is to rid your body of these addictive substances. You are likely to have some symptoms like anxiety, nervousness and probably insomnia for the first few days. In my case these tended to start to lessen after two or three days and they gave me medications to lessen their effect. Eventually it was like coming out of a dark tunnel into the sunlight and I could start to attend group therapy and interrelate with the other patients. This helped a lot. Make friends and talk. Also I began to eat better and my liver enzymes soon improved. Stick with it, do the program and when the 28 days are up or whenever you are discharged, do the aftercare. You will have a fine start towards sobriety. It's the best investment you ever made. Guard it with your life, because that's what you will be doing. A new beginning. Good luck. All the best. Keep in touch.

W.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
It's the best investment you ever made. Guard it with your life, because that's what you will be doing. A new beginning.

W.
Thank you so much! What great words of wisdom.

-Augustine
Old 08-29-2016, 12:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Here you go augustine, it is long but might help you pass the nervous wait. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ab-report.html

My experience was great and really helped me get on the right track. Excuse a lot of the spelling and grammatical errors, at the beginning they keep you pretty loaded up on meds, but you will be tapered off of them before you leave.

Don't worry! And don't forget to bring plenty of clothes. I was a (drunken) mess packing and only brought one pair of jeans and a few tops. I had to have someone bring me more clothes and I ended up buying some more comfortable clothes to wear- no one cares what you look like there. Do bring some things to take care of yourself- face creams, lotion, hair conditioner, face masks, nail file, spend some of your free time taking care of yourself.
Old 08-29-2016, 01:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Been to rehab ...twice unfortunately. You will be fine! It's scary at first cause its something new and you will adjust and it will be fine. Rehab is not a total fix but even if it gives you one tool (I'm sure it will be more than ond) to help with long term sobriety it will be worth it. And it gives you 30 days to break the cycle you were in while in addiction. Great call going! And best of luck!
Old 08-29-2016, 03:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Oh and don't worry if you are scared or cry. I arrived, probably still drunk, but they got me hooked up to an IV right away. I then went to lunch and sat down and just started sobbing. The girl at the table with me was so nice, she said, "don't worry, I cried the entire first day here" Everyone is so kind, really. They are all in the same boat as you. You can do this. Sending you a big, big hug!
Old 08-29-2016, 05:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

So proud of you brother we'l be waiting on an update you have SR in your heart & corner
Old 08-29-2016, 05:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Most people are very relaxed in rehab. Just realizing that the battle is over has a calming effect. When I was in rehab we all enjoyed the sober struggle together.

Not real easy but, it's best for us.

M-Bob
Old 08-29-2016, 05:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Never been. You'll do great. You should be very proud of yourself. It takes alot of gumption to take that step. Im proud of you too.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:14 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I went to outpatient rehab, so can't really tell you want to expect from inpatient first-hand. But I do know several people who did inpatient - and every single one of them said it was one of the best things they ever did for themselves. The key is to be open-minded and honest. Do all of the work. Share in groups. Listen to what everyone else says. You never know when someone is going to say the exact thing you need to hear. If you really want this, you will do fine. It may be uncomfortable and scary at first, but they will take good care of you.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I can empathize with you -- I was terrified of going to rehab, too. I cried the whole way there. But it was the best thing I ever did. Met some great people, keep in touch with some now, too. I've been sober for 10 months now. Everyone is there for the same reason so there's a certain kinship that develops. Idk where you're going, all rehabs are different. I got a lot out of mine. Please tell us your experience when you return! Good luck!!
Old 08-29-2016, 05:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you for getting through the detox! I hope the rehab goes well, and I hope you continue to work on your recovery. Let us know how you are doing.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:24 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi Augustine,

Not sure if you are able to check in, just wanted to send you some good wishes. Looking forward to hearing how you are doing.

❤️ Delilah