Notices

6 months sober!! But suddenly thoughts of drinking are back!!

Old 08-28-2016, 09:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question 6 months sober!! But suddenly thoughts of drinking are back!!

Hi everyone.

So, just this week I celebrated 6 months sober. I've never done that before!! I celebrated with someone when I hit my milestone - the longest I had gone sober before - that was about a month ago. This time I didn't really celebrate and I'm thinking I should....

Because suddenly. my cravings are back. Funny enough, it was on the day that I had thoughts again. Up until this week, I've actually had no problem with no drinking and it had been that way for several months. But now....ideas keep forming. What would it be like if.... How would that feel if....imagine how that could be.....I wonder......etc etc

It's taken me off guard I think. And it makes me a little sad.
But I have these thoughts like "It was so magical, like entering a portal into another, wonderful realm....me and this fantasy place....such enjoyment!" And yeah, I know it could be like that but also the consequences are devastating.
But it's almost like, when you feel like things in your life are devasting and sad anyway, it's like....why not?

Anyway I know there are a lot of why not's. But right now, I just wanted to tell someone that I'm having these thoughts and maybe that will help....

And also - congratulations to me for 6 months!!!! Maybe I should celebrate. Maybe I'm feeling blah and celebration this could really help me find some joy in this whole thing and remember how far I've come and so on. Can anyone think of a way to celebrate? For my milestone, I had dinner and a movie with someone. But I can't ask that person to do that again since we just did not long ago. But still.....WHAT DO....
Thank you!
Old 08-28-2016, 10:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on six months! That is really an accomplishment!
And good for you to identify those thoughts, I think examining them is a great way to conquer them.
Treat yourself to something awesome, something BIG. Spa package (the works), new wardrobe or several outfits, new hairdo - or perhaps vacation? You deserve it!
Old 08-28-2016, 10:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey, we all deserve credit when credit is due

I definitely congratulate you because 6 months is a great achievement. I'd be more than proud of myself to achieve SIX MONTHS! .

Celebration wise? Perhaps you should look towards a hobbie/activity that was always on your mind, but never achieved

But... throw away the mainstream social mentality to drink after a milestone.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on six months!

And congrats for "telling on" your AV!

Maybe read here... People who gave in to their AV after a milestone and regretted it. They are all over the place. A few people in my August class have done so and then had to come back for another day one.

I'm one of them. I think I remember you from six months ago. I was getting sober and then gave in to the AV and now I'm back with 17 days. I wish I was at 6 months with you right now, but I didn't work it. I think part of working it is coming here and reading and posting and keeping my attitude in check.

Also, play the tape. What would it really be like? Do you want to wake up tomorrow and feel what even a drink or two would do to you? Look at the bags under your eyes? Get hammered and try to piece together the night before?

Maybe go back and see what you posted when you decided you wanted to get sober... Remember where you were at and why?

Six months is amazing and you should absolutely celebrate it! Go you!
Old 08-28-2016, 10:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Big congrats Layali!

I think the answer lies in your question and your excellent post.

I'm hitting a milestone tomorrow: I thought "how do I celebrate?" My AV said "with a drink - naturally."
Maybe that's why the sudden craving. I had one too.
This is what I'm doing: going out for a yummy frozen yogurt in a few minutes, then I'm forgetting about tomorrow. Yeah, it's a "milestone," but I so badly want to celebrate EVERY day, so the "celebrate cravings" will have to be put in proper perspective
Enjoy your milestone and every other day too
Old 08-28-2016, 10:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 6 months sober. Be very proud of your accomplishment and celebrate if you'd like to. Treat yourself to something special and enjoy the day.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations on six months!! You should definitely celebrate by treating yourself to something. If that pesky AV creeps in trying to rain on your parade fast forward to tomorrow morning, you would be very sad to be back at day one again.

I am a few days away from 8 months, and this is the longest I have been sober other than pregnancy/nursing. I was at the 90 day mark a few years ago and decided to celebrate with a glass of champagne, it was he beginning of many failed attempts to moderate.

Go out and do something for you today :-
Old 08-28-2016, 11:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Catch 22

Good luck with the battle. You have been winning so far. Keep winning. As for celebrating, I do not know what you like but I would buy a painting/print to put up and always remind me of this achievement.
Old 08-28-2016, 12:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congratulations
Old 08-28-2016, 04:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations keep going. Be proud of yourself
Old 08-28-2016, 05:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats on 6 months!!!

Honestly, I think it was around that time that I had to put my alcoholic mind voice on hold and then hang up. It's that whole, I did it and have it licked now that your mind tries to trick you into acting on.
You're strong and you'll get past this.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 6 months

Milestones can be tricky - it's easy to confuse abstinence with control, even subconsciously and think maybe I could handle one drink now...and the merry go round of thoughts/cravings spins again.

Craving on their own cannot harm us tho. Its how we react to them that's the measure of our recovery.

You came here for help and you''re determined to stay strong. I think you're doing well

D
Old 08-29-2016, 06:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you so much everyone!!!

And, I'm thinking of buying a gym membership. That's something I've always wanted to do. It would count as anxiety exposure therapy, would add structure to my day, and of course the exercise would help with so many things, including anxiety, moods, weight loss, overall health....and of course, the main thing is just that I've always wanted to do it so.....that's a celebration thing I think!!!
Old 08-29-2016, 07:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Layali,

Congrats on 6 months! That's the longest I ever reached. I celebrated with dinner and wine. 8 years later I'm still struggling. Hope that helps kill the pesky thoughts.

KP
Old 08-29-2016, 08:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
AA Member

Did somebody say 6 months?

go to a meeting and get a chip or a cake or whatever is done in your area!

Old 08-30-2016, 01:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

6 Months is fantastic!!