SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Hello! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/396727-hello.html)

MNsober1393 08-28-2016 09:21 AM

Hello!

Hi guys, I'm brand new, so I just wanted to introduce myself. I just moved across the country for graduate school and I'm finally admitting I'm a problem drinker. In the past I've compared myself to others and said "well I don't drink as much as they do, so I must be okay". But drinking causes me a lot of guilt and shame, and every time I try to quit drinking, I'm back at it a few days later. I'm hoping that moving away from some of my old friends that I used to drink with might help and getting focused on school and a new job too might encourage me to stay sober. I welcome any advice... the longest I usually can stay sober is about 6 days, then Friday rolls around and I'm ready for a drink.
Thanks, I look forward to getting to know some of you!

FarToGo 08-28-2016 09:32 AM

Warm welcome MN, getting sober is something you'll never regret. Good luck.
xx

january161992 08-28-2016 09:36 AM

welcome

aa has really helped me

looks like there are ~70 meetings/ week in your town

District One AA - S.E. Minnesota - Meetings By City

God bless

:You_Rock_

Soberwolf 08-28-2016 10:14 AM

Hello Mnsober

Ghostlight1 08-28-2016 10:23 AM

Hello and welcome.
I used to compare myself to others, too. Friends-well, I don't drink as much as them. At the end, I was comparing myself to the homeless drunks, and it was like, well at least I have a place to live. But otherwise, I was just like them. A common drunk.
It's progressive. You're wise to want to stop now. Believe me, if you're anything like me, things will get worse.
You've found a great place for support. Some find AA meetings helpful. I sure did.
Best to you and stick around.

MNsober1393 08-28-2016 10:28 AM

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the support. Question, are AA meetings only for religious people? I am agnostic, so the idea of going to a meeting centered around God doesn't really suit me.

bexxed 08-28-2016 10:37 AM

Welcome!

Some go to AA and some don't, there are many avenues to stay sober but the key is to have a plan, no matter how simple. There are excellent resources for this in these forums.

AA is fine for agnostics.

D122y 08-28-2016 10:48 AM

Mn,

Hi and welcome.

Booze is a physical and mental addiction. The mental part lives in our emotions. We defeat this w our analysis. Our brain gets to a point where we need booze to feel normal. Great articles out there.

This is an Avrt sort of thinking. This is an alternative to AA. AA is higher power based.

AA is fairly engulfing if done....correctly. For example....you will want to do assigned reading..90 meetings in 90 days etc. I have been to several meetings and am leaning away for now.

AA is one day at a time....avrt is never drinking again.

Bottom line is not drinking and......being content while sober. Being discontent is called white knuckles and it leads to relapse.

Relapse after relapse....binging every weekend...fries our brain.

Booze is nothing to toy w....folks lose everything, go insane, and commit suicide all the time because of booze.

Part of my recovery is helping folks. Hopefully this helped you.

Dame 08-28-2016 12:11 PM

There are plenty of alternatives to AA. In my city, yes, Christianity is an integral part of the 'program' despite claims to the contrary.

Happy to see you at SR, MNsober

Zanna 08-28-2016 12:31 PM

:welcome

secretchord 08-28-2016 02:44 PM

Welcome. I live not to far from you. :)

least 08-28-2016 03:01 PM

Welcome! :) AA is actually a 'spiritual' program, tho many of its members are religious. There are meetings for agnostics/atheists. Look it up in your town if you're interested.

There are many ways to get and stay sober, tho, and AA is only one way. I got sober with the help of weekly counseling sessions and daily visits to this site. :)

Hevyn 08-28-2016 03:06 PM

Great to meet you MN! I'm glad you're realizing now what needs to happen, & not waiting until middle age like I did. I kept trying to manage it on my own, with disastrous results. Welcome to an encouraging place.

REsoberALITY 08-28-2016 05:58 PM

Hello and Welcome. You've come to an amazing place for support and encouragement.

Chanchiluv 08-28-2016 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by MNsober1393 (Post 6111973)
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the support. Question, are AA meetings only for religious people? I am agnostic, so the idea of going to a meeting centered around God doesn't really suit me.

:welcome

You should check with your local AA chapter. My town has one specifically for agnostics.

Good luck to you. PM me if you need someone to talk with.

:grouphug:

Dee74 08-28-2016 06:09 PM

Welcoem MNSober :)

Yeah I always say it's not how much we drink, so much as how it affects us...

I'm really glad you found us :)

D