Notices

need to do this

Old 08-29-2016, 03:32 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Hi Pieman. It is good that you are here. When I look back on my own path it seems that the actions I took today were the ones that kept me sober tomorrow.

I understand your fears about AA, and I wouldn't particularly push you in that direction. When I intially found myself in your position, the first thing I tried was to just stop. With the memory of the last event so fresh you would think that would be enough of a motivator, but it wasn't. For the most part I was at it again within 24 hours.

Then the courts got involved and I took some counselling. I was pretty open to this. The first suggestion I tried was.... controlled drinking. It was the only option on the list that allowed drinking. I failed at the first attempt. No control.

The next option was treatment. A 10 week course in which I felt I learnt enough about alcholism and myself, that I should be ok. I was, if you consider three months of miserable fear filled sobriety o.k.

After that came a year of alcoholic misery, at the end of which I was willing to take another look at AA. Two of my treatment centre group had already done that and they are still sober today. I was the only one out of the remaining eight to get the opportunity to take another look. The other seven were already dead.

This is a serious progressive illness that kills people. Yet each of us must travel our own path. I think the advise to get your own plan is extremely good. You may get a virutal program here and have virtual friends from all around the world with whom you can share your secrets without anyone really knowing the truth, but you and your alcoholism are not virtual, you are real and you know the truth.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:36 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Thanks for that, I have been taking my time doing everything today, still not finished my work load and then once done I will be going home and prepairing a nice meal. Not sure what yet, also grabbed a few bottles of sparking flavoured water to replace the beers.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:46 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Well I ended up in the bar to meet my partner, and remained dry. I got a funny look off the bar man but I just said coke please, and when questioned I said that I was taking a break from alcohol. I am not drinking ever again but saying taking a break was just easier. One thing I noticed was just how little of a **** others care for what is in your glass.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:28 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Day 4 usually my relapse day but not this time
Old 08-30-2016, 01:16 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Wrapping up day 4 here, feel a bit meh, but still only an hour to bed goodnight all
Old 08-30-2016, 01:18 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Awesome!!!!
Old 08-30-2016, 03:04 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Day 4 is fantastic Pieman!! Keep it going!!
Old 08-30-2016, 03:28 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I made it to bed
Old 08-30-2016, 05:36 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

4 days is wonderful, Pieman. You're right that almost no one is concerned about what we're drinking. The only comments I got were from those who had their own drinking issues.

You may feel 'meh' at the moment, but that's to be expected. Every day will be a little better - you will heal and feel good again. Nice work.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:01 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Good morning day 5 feeling like I have slept real heavy.
Old 09-01-2016, 03:30 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Day 6 done and dusted, nearly a week! The last two days have been a real struggle I have now met my AV and he's a ####. Onwards to another challenging weekend!
Old 09-05-2016, 04:15 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Not been on here for a few days, but my sobriety is still in tacked. Day 100 over and done with. Last few days have been a bit of a slog to be honest anything and everything has irritated me, but I'm still hanging on in there.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:35 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Keep hanging in! 10 days is an amazing accomplishment. The beginning was a bit of a roller coaster for me, but I hung in there through it all and life at this point is frankly incredible. Beyond anything I'd imagined at 10 days sober.

I would also recommend, like others have done, finding some additional recovery support/creating a recovery plan for yourself. I do AA, which is nothing like I'd expected, but there are so many different pathways to recovery you can try if you don't think AA is your thing. Since you mentioned being a private person, how about counseling? Lots of emotions, in my experience at least, revealed themselves the minute I stopped drinking.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:48 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Hi I think this web site is a huge support for me, again its the talking to someone face to face I just cant do, I have this real phobia about opening up to people. My other half gets really frustrated by this as I don't really want to open up either. It's like getting undressed and taking a walk around the shops. It makes me really anxious, this here on this site is anonymous so I can say things on here in the safety that no one can come to me face to face to discuss it. I do now have a plan in place, I am taking baby steps to 're learn how to live, I have been to the pub a few times for short periods of time and stuck to coke, going out with the other half tomorrow and her parents for lunch so I am driving to avoid the conversation, although I am ok with saying "I don't want a beer, I am taking a break from it".
Old 09-05-2016, 05:00 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Well I'm glad you have a plan in place! For the first five months or so I checked in with someone everyday, so this forum is a great place for you to do that. The anonymity here is amazing, so you can let it all out. Good luck with your lunch tomorrow. When I get offered drinks I don't say anything more than, "I'm not drinking," or, "I don't drink." Works like a charm every time. It's amazing how our minds can trick us into thinking that people care about us NOT drinking...