Notices

New Here

Old 08-26-2016, 09:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Work in Progress

Thumbs up New Here

Hey folks. Totally new to the forum and glad to have found you. What propted me to come here was a post on Cracked.com and a visit to their forums to read about other's experiences.

A little background on me:

My dad was an alcoholic who didn't recover until my own kids were born. His dad was a alcoholic before him. My dad was a very mean drunk when I was growing up, and I always swore I would never turn out like him.

I've always prided myself in the past on "knowing what my limit was," and never crossing that line. I was an occasional drinker for years (2 or 3 times a year), but then my husband got diagnosed with Non-Alcoholic Chirrosis of the Liver with all of it's chronic sysmptoms and suddenly I was drinking every week, and then almost every day.

At first I told myself it was to relieve stress and help myself sleep (I've had ADHD related sleeping problems ever since I was younger). But after a couple years of deluding myself I've come to realization that it's not about getting to sleep or relieving stress anymore.

I've tried to stop drinking several times and have managed a sober month here and there, but I always go back. However this time I feel like I've GOT to stick with it, because my drinking these last few months has escalated such that I've been having blackouts where I don't remember when, where or how I got to bed.

I've never told any of my family before when I was making these attempts in the past, because I was too embarassed (and ashamed) to admit I have a problem. Yesterday I told my son, who is 16, that I was stopping drinking. He got this glad look on his face and hugged me, which made me feel good about my decision. I kind of feel now like I HAVE to make this work so I don't disappoint him. Always before I was just disappointing myself, kwim?

So here I am. I never thought I would turn out like my dad. It's quite a shameful thing for me to admit, let me tell you! :-(

Thanks in advance if you've made it this far in my post.

Old 08-26-2016, 10:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I do understand. My mother was an alcoholic and I never would have believed that I would turn out like her. It was so, so tough to accept that I had. But, at least I acknowledged the problem and worked hard to stop hurting people. You can do this and be the person you want to be.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Nice to meet you
Old 08-26-2016, 10:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Catch 22

We all have had to admit to shameful things. If we are in recovery we are just so much better. It takes courage. Good luck.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Glad you found SR! You are not alone!!
Old 08-26-2016, 10:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. You'll find a lot of help here.

P
Old 08-26-2016, 06:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Chanciluv

One of the best things for me in recovery is being able to look myself in the eyes in the mirror again

There's always time for a Chapter Two

Welcome aboard

D
Old 08-26-2016, 06:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

welcome to SR!
Old 08-26-2016, 08:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
fgo

Welcome, glad you found sr.