SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   36 hours without a drink (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/396511-36-hours-without-drink.html)

jodc 08-24-2016 05:18 AM

36 hours without a drink

I have 12 more hours of no drinking in front of me as I am going to work but this morning, my fear is greater than my resolve.

I will focus on one thing today - feelings are not facts. And when I arrive home, I will come here before I do anything else.

Thank you for being here.

Blessings to all. Have a wonderful day (or night, wherever you are)

Dee74 08-24-2016 05:27 AM

Stay with us jodc :)

D

August252015 08-24-2016 05:29 AM

"Feelings are not facts." Thanks- I needed that reminder this morning and that note to put in CAPS on today's calendar in my journal.

The fact that our disease is one of perception keeps coming up throughout our sobriety, doesn't it?

You can do it!!

MrPL 08-24-2016 05:32 AM

We're here for you jdoc.

If you think about drinking fast forward your thoughts to a month from now. See where you would be if you drank and where you will be because you won't drink.

You got this.

P

Zanna 08-24-2016 05:36 AM

I wish I could show everyone, the video my ex has just put on YouTube. He's toothless, absolutely paralytic and going on and on about the weather (for 15minutes). It has certainly put me off alcohol for life. It just isn't worth it, especially going through the first few days again.
Have a great day at work and see you here after :)

Elicia08 08-24-2016 05:38 AM

Hang in there, Jo. The first few days were awful for me but after that it got infinitely better. Hope you have a good day at work and see you when you get home!!

Tonymblue 08-24-2016 05:52 AM

Great job. That first day is always toughest on me. Come right back. Friends are here for you.

Maudcat 08-24-2016 05:55 AM

Just try.

MLD51 08-24-2016 06:07 AM

Yes - feelings are not facts.
Keep checking in here - lots of support and good information. We are all in this together!

Soberwolf 08-24-2016 06:28 AM

We're with you x

jodc 08-24-2016 06:29 AM

Thank you.

August252015 08-24-2016 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by MrPL (Post 6105816)
We're here for you jdoc.

If you think about drinking fast forward your thoughts to a month from now. See where you would be if you drank and where you will be because you won't drink.

You got this.

P

Fast forward your thoughts through TONIGHT. How will you feel tomorrow, if you drink today? Angry, depressed, sad, sick? Mad at yourself and self-pitying - again? Versus sober, not hungover, trying one more day that way, and moving forward.

As D and others say all the time- you have to want to be sober more than you want to drink. And that includes wanting the great things about sobriety (better health, sleep, relationships, everything, just to name a few things) MORE than you want the temporary escape/wash/rinse/repeat emotional cycle.

Good luck.

AnvilheadII 08-24-2016 08:38 AM

in the very early hours and days of recovery, we often have to live one hour at a time, or even one five minutes at a time. sober step, breathe, sober step, breathe.

coming here to SR is a good goal....we're like the Mother Ship. Food, Water and Rest are also very key.

PurpleKnight 08-24-2016 09:29 AM

You can do this Jodc!! Keep pushing through!! :grouphug:

MidnightRider 08-24-2016 09:40 AM

Stay close to SR... It is a life saver

jodc 08-24-2016 05:10 PM

I haven't learned how to quote someone yet but I will. For the time being, THANK YOU ALL!:)

madgirl 08-24-2016 06:40 PM

Stick close to the site and continue reaching out - congrats on making one of the best decisions of your life!

Leaflet 08-24-2016 06:57 PM

I am four days in, and I am also in a place of fear. Your post lets me know that I am not alone in these feelings. All the best to you, and great job with your recovery!

Delilah1 08-24-2016 07:48 PM

Welcome to SR! Lots of great advice above. The first few days are the hardest, but stick close to hear, and post before drinking. I had to plan out every minute of the first few days/weeks.

You will start to feel better physically, and then emotionally. I am just about 8 months on and it is much easier than it was. The thoughts of drinking do not pop into my mind often, and when they do I am able to play the tape through and think about how I would feel the next day.

Stick around here, read, a d post. You can do this!!!