Notices

The "Sober" Me

Old 08-23-2016, 04:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The "Sober" Me

I don't know if I like myself now that I'm not drinking. I'm kind of mean, and not as laid back...

Ugh.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How long sober?
Old 08-23-2016, 04:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Only 5 days
Old 08-23-2016, 04:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Kgr, if like me it took years to get to the point of quitting, it's going to take a bit longer than a week, 5 days is still early days, give it more time!!

The body needs to adjust physically, mentally and emotionally, we need time to build a new life, for me I didn't even know what life I was seeking to build for a long time, so of course you're going to feel uneasy, I didn't know anything other than drinking when I quit and so I had to rebuild my life from scratch, but it can be done!!

Hang in there, you can do this!!
Old 08-23-2016, 04:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

KGR,
I'm only around fifty days. I felt much better after about a month. I tried to quit so many times and approached it with a negative attitude. This time I tried to stay positive and focus on the little improvements each day brings. You can do this my friend
Old 08-23-2016, 04:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

5 days sober is not...you yet. 5 days sober is 5 days of withdrawing from drunk you. The land of sobriety is nowhere near...static. My oh my. I'm just back on the sober horse again myself but I've gotten enough sobriety under my belt previously to know you are nowhere near getting to know you.

Emotionally you're in withdrawal...and that goes on... awwwwhhhillleee.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I was a major unhappy camper at 5 days but it gets so much better if we recover and not just abstain
Old 08-23-2016, 05:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I read somewhere recently it can take up to 10 days for alcohol to clear out of your system fully.

Only coming up to my third week this time and I was horrible the first week; angry and snappy. This week I managed a screaming, tantruming child many times without losing my cool. Last year I was a totally different person from weeks in to months in.

It will get easier, stick with it and don't let the AV fool you you're nicer when you drink cos hangovers don't put you in the best moods either.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

It is more than quitting drinking. You have to change your life a bit to be content while sober.

It starts when I wake up sober....it is a flow of events ea. Day...all sober.

I can't stress enough how seriously bad being a drunk is.

It is a learned behavior. We are not designed to ingest fermented liquids that alter our brains.

Each relapse causes more and more brain damage that is harder and harder to recover from.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I agree, still detoxing. Give it some time. You'll like yourself again.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Kgr - Perfectly normal to feel cranky, anxious, short-tempered, etc. It's early days - things will continue to change as you heal. At some point you'll feel hope and happiness again - and appreciation for being free. You're doing great.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Getting and staying sober means you'll have to deal with aspects of yourself that you might have ignored before.
It's one of the beautiful things about sobriety. You can now change yourself into what you desire to be. If you think you're too mean, angry, tense, or whatever, that just means it's time to form new habits to become kinder, more forgiving and laid back. BUT with a clear head, which you'll never have while drinking.

Congrats on five days. Keep going, and hope you come back here often
Old 08-23-2016, 07:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Five days is barely thru physical withdrawal, of course you feel crappy. Give yourself a few months to feel the benefits of living sober.