Notices

Trying again

Old 08-23-2016, 10:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying again

This is my first time on a sobriety blog, but I think it's because I've realized how much I really need to stop. It is hard for me to face reality. I come off as happy, confident and having it all together. I am a closet alcoholic. I'm 35. Happily married with children. I spend a lot of time alone. Alcoholism runs in my family. I am on day 3 of not having a drop and I feel extremely down, ashamed and impatient. On top of sweating, shaking, nausea, stomach pains and headaches. Is this common?
Old 08-23-2016, 10:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Familyfirst!!

Sounds pretty similar to my experience, if like me it took years to get to this point then the body will take time to adjusting away from not having alcohol.

I would though keep in mind seeing a Dr if things get too intense as withdrawals can be more serious for some people compared to others.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I will. Thank you
Old 08-23-2016, 11:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi
Old 08-23-2016, 12:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome

Is this your first time attempting to quit? I've tried MANY times and almost always have the sweating, shaking, ect. about 3 days to a week or so.

I am only on Day 2 right now, so I'm with you - on the few times I'm managed a month or so there was always a challenge to resist drinking after the sweats and shaking subside. I always thought "wow, I feel really good today, how about a drink?"

Be strong and maybe write yourself a note describing how you feel - if you are feeling good again in a few days go back to that note to remind yourself that you don't want to do it over again!

Good luck!
Old 08-23-2016, 12:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Familyfirst6 View Post
This is my first time on a sobriety blog, but I think it's because I've realized how much I really need to stop. It is hard for me to face reality. I come off as happy, confident and having it all together. I am a closet alcoholic. I'm 35. Happily married with children. I spend a lot of time alone. Alcoholism runs in my family. I am on day 3 of not having a drop and I feel extremely down, ashamed and impatient. On top of sweating, shaking, nausea, stomach pains and headaches. Is this common?
I'm also a closet one. How much Were you drinking? So glad to see you taking charge and wanting to stop this welcome and weldone
Old 08-23-2016, 12:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
AA Member

Originally Posted by Familyfirst6 View Post
I am a closet alcoholic.

i only and always drank at home by myself with the drapes closed

i (wrongly) thought everyone in aa were bar drinkers, fun havers and partyers

listening at meetings revealed that i wasnt alone

Old 08-23-2016, 02:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

On nights I'd work I'd have atleast 5 as fast as I could within an hour or so. Everyone was always asleep so I had privacy. At home (which was atleast 5 days a week I only work weekends) anywhere from 9 to 12 beers. Hard to admit but I will say... I have managed to eat close to nothing so it is easier for me to get drunk quicker. 1 meal early and then maybe coffee/water/handfuls of almonds throughout rest of the day. I'd always lie to my spouse and tell him ive been eating all day and I'm just not hungry. He has no idea how much I had already had to drink by the time he got home from work. I hid it so well.
God...I feel like such a loser...
He is out all night busting his butt again to provide for us. This is when I'd usually be half in the bag by now. For those wondering if i currently am...I am not. And I will not. I think continuously coming back to this forum makes me feel like I'm being watched (in a good way lol) and encouraged to keep going. Tomorrow WILL be day 4. Thank you all
Old 08-23-2016, 02:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Salt22 View Post
Hi and welcome

Is this your first time attempting to quit? I've tried MANY times and almost always have the sweating, shaking, ect. about 3 days to a week or so.

I am only on Day 2 right now, so I'm with you - on the few times I'm managed a month or so there was always a challenge to resist drinking after the sweats and shaking subside. I always thought "wow, I feel really good today, how about a drink?"

Be strong and maybe write yourself a note describing how you feel - if you are feeling good again in a few days go back to that note to remind yourself that you don't want to do it over again!

Good luck!
Sadly no I've tried through the years. Has never lasted long. The longest was I think maybe 2-3 weeks. Not counting my pregnancys of course. No drinking there I can honestly say
Old 08-23-2016, 10:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You can do this!! I tried many times in the past and would have periods of sobriety, followed by periods of failed attempts at moderation.

I am one week away from 7 months which is the longest I have remained sober since pregnancy/nursing.

I was not a bar person either. I would pour myself. Glass of wine when I got home from work and would continue drinking throughout the night.

You can do this! Two great places to post besides his thread are in the August class and the 24 hour thread.

Looking forward to seeing you on SR!!
Old 08-23-2016, 10:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome familyfirst

The first days are tough - but what you're describing is normal.

Don't hesitate to ask for medical help if you need it tho.

D
Old 08-23-2016, 10:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Catch 22

This is a great forum for support on your path to health. All the best.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome. Those feelings are completely normal. They will pass. Great job. Keep it up.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:13 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Completely normal to feel that way on day 3. It will get better.
Salt's suggestion of writing down how you are feeling is a good one. It will help you remember how much it sucks to go through withdrawal when you start feeling better and think it's ok to have a couple. Before I quit for good I would always promise myself I was done drinking after a particularly bad binge and hangover, only to pick up again a few days later when the memory faded.

Keep coming here for support! Do you have any other plan for recovery?
Old 08-24-2016, 11:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you soooo much everyone!!!
I woke up today and felt the best I have in days!! I've decided I'm having a garage sale this weekend, so that is keeping me busy. I plan to go running as many evenings as I can. The fresh air seems to help so much. A family member and a close friend have offered to text and call daily.
I ended up explaining bits and pieces to my husband last night. I'm glad I did. I was so scared of him thinking less of me but he has been so supportive. I think it scared him a little though...Today has been a great day
Old 08-24-2016, 12:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Familyfirst6 , glad you are here . I think you done the right thing with your Husband . I am lucky that my wife and immediate family supported me and continue to do so .
I sat down with my older sister today and explained in general terms my drinking history and she was quite shocked too , I was good at hiding it from extended family I was too ashamed but now I have opened up to nearly all of my siblings ,1 still to go lol .
Glad you had a good day today .
Old 08-24-2016, 12:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
quat

Glad to hear you are feeling better, and awesome that today is a great day! Great choice talking with your husband , scared doesn't mean any less supportive, sounds like you got a 'keeper' Good luck with the sale another great choice , staying active ( and making some money ta'boot ). Keep truckin !
Just remember that even if some days start off or end up no so great, and even not good, they are immeasurably better than the 'old' days. wish you well and umpteen great days in a row !