When I am confronted with drugs or alcohol, I will do this:

Old 08-23-2016, 06:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1) Take a breath and recognize my addiction and say no thanks
2) Say no thanks and ask for water instead
3) Go to the bathroom or a safe place and check in on sober recovery forum

What do you do? Any ideas of what to add to the list? I need a plan with options for staying and living sober.
__________________________________________________ _____
Old 08-23-2016, 06:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think it's a good plan and I have used all three.

What I also found helpful, especially with people I don' know very well and are a bit pushy, was to say I am taking some kind of medicine and couldn't drink that night because of that.

Also drinking things like ginger beer or sparkling water with lime help, I tend to prefer tea though but depending on the occasion that's not an option!

P
Old 08-23-2016, 06:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

I like your plan!

I am also making an effort to not put myself in "drinking" situations. Like Not going to see a friends band at the bar last Sat night.

Although that is not always possible..

So far I haven't been pushed to drink... I just say I'm not drinking tonight. Got a huge day tomorrow. Is my go to answer. Regular folk understand...alcoholics don't.. Or can't think like that.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What do you do? Any ideas of what to add to the list?
I
- dont hang around people that drink or use
-dont hang around places where theres drinking or using.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Those all sound like good ideas for "in the moment" times when you may encounter alcohol. Avoiding those situations in the first place are also a good idea, especially early on - but of course it's impossible to avoid it 100% for the rest of your life.

The long term goal for true sobriety in my opinion is to accept our addiction and learn to face our day to day lives. In that sense, the actual drinking of alcohol is not really the issue anyway - it's our coping mechanisms that need to be learned/re-learned. Structured programs like AA/AVRT/Smart help teach us how to do these things long term. Therapy/Rehab can help too.

So I think you have a great start on some of the "crisis" tools...and that will allow you to focus on the long term/coping tools as well.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

As well as the other suggestions carving out a new lifestyle made all the difference, new hobbies, new interests, new projects, what did I now want to do with my life.

When I quit drinking I had a lot of time on my hands, because drinking was all I did, but simply sitting around with nothing to do wasn't the answer, I needed to change up my life by putting new things into it to replace all that time spent on alcohol.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by skylove2016 View Post

What do you do? Any ideas of what to add to the list? I need a plan with options for staying and living sober.
The last four months I was teetotal and happy.

I was not going to pubs because I didn't want to. So I think the only times I have been in the company of people drinking is going out for dinner and a handful of barbecues this summer, where the consumption of alcohol was quite low and nobody said anything to me when I drank ice tea. The gf gets a bottle of wine every now and then but ends up never finishing it. I suppose these are the decent people in my life when I think about it.

This weekend I drank and some and now I am fvcking miserable. There will be a brief period of darkness and time spent in bed before I pick myself up and get on with it.

Why did I drink/use? I allowed someone to "twist my arm". Let's just put it that way. It's still my responsibility at the end of the day.

If we don't win, we learn.

What's to be learned: I cannot change other people or events. I realize that there are always going to be people who will want to "twist my arm". I cannot change them only my reaction to them...

but you know what? Why should I give a fvck about their opinion. My "friend" who twisted my arm is not knocking on my door right now, picking up the pieces.

So the only thing I need to say if anybody asks "are you not drinking?" is I DON'T DRINK!!!

Why would a person who does not drink, drink.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Skylove2016, FANTASTIC, just say no, rootin for ya.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I play the tape forward.

If I drink, I will end up right back in the anxiety and depression ridden nightmare of a life I had.

If I don't drink, I have hope of actually contributing to humanity and growing as a person.

I've done that so many times the thought of drinking makes me ill.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by skylove2016 View Post

It seems so simple and easy on paper. IF this, I WILL do this and yet so many times I didn't, and I didn't know why and I still don't know why, and I still don't know what changed to allow me to be able to do it . Maybe someone else can be more helpful. LOL
Old 08-24-2016, 06:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone. I know about the "twist my arm" people. I guess I'm afraid of telling people I don't drink because what if I fail? My alcoholism will be out in the open. But maybe people already see through it and know I have a drinking problem. Ugh.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I look at a picture of me at the end of my last drunk which I store on my phone , Never going there again .