Notices

hello everyone

Old 08-22-2016, 07:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hello everyone

Hey yall I'm new here. Not exactly sure how this all works. Im an alcoholic I've never really tried to quit before but it's at the point of being more destructive than good anymore but I have no idea where to start or if I even can manage to put the bottle down. To tell a bit about myself ove worked construction all my life. Started drinking heavily everyday at 16 when i got into roofing and thats when it really picked up and before i knew it i was drinking on the roof operating ewps and bulldozers while hammered. I'm highly functional when I drink and I'd say 98% of the time if you see me I'm drunk. The real awakening for me was when my engagement fell through the cracks due to my drinking. I've never seen it as the issue I've always blamed others or managed to deflect the blame of my booze on something else. Excuses like we'll even sober that wouldve happened or whatever excuse I could use. My mother has constantly tried to intervene but I just always assure her I'mfine and swift talk my way out of it. I'm sick of lying to myself that it's not a problem. Any advice?
Old 08-22-2016, 07:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Coming here is a great first step. It took me over 12 yrs from the time I realized I had a drinking problem to stop -- and that was only because my husband filed for divorce and got temporary custody of our son. I wish I would have stopped years ago. It's really not as hard to quit as you probably make it out to be in your head.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome. Glad you're here. Your story my story. I work for myself. I have a couple before work then start drinking about 11. Like you i just had to stop. Keep it up.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yea it's gotten to the point that I rarely sleep I'm either up drinking or I sleep just long enough till the liquor store is open. I'm an average of 12 tall cans a day. I blew 14 grand on beer last season alone. Recently was admitted to the hospital for vomiting blood. I just have no idea how I can even stop it seems impossible.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi redneck

My life got a lot better when i quit, not immediately but inevitably
Everyone starts at the same point really - a day one.

You might be best to consult a Dr frst tho - to see if it's safe for you to just stop?

D
Old 08-22-2016, 07:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome. You have made a move in the right direction by coming here. I'm new at this too. I may suggest ready the wealth of information here. The forums, blogs, etc. I did this for probably 10 hours off and on over the last week and a half.

It really gave me perspective of my problem and how serious it was and could even have gotten worse. I feel by reading I got a better understand of the disease and how others have found recovery which gives me hope. There is also a wealth of information and advise on HOW to find recovery. I'm in construction too. So as construction workers we know we need tools. You can find a new set of tools here to put into your toolbox.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Red. Keep coming here and reading posts and share daily. That's a start. If you think you are ready to quit try going to a couple of AA meetings. You don't have to speak just sit and listen. Since you drink daily and you probably already know this, you should seek medical help to detox safely and as comfortably as possible at home or in a hospital. We are here to support you.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Truthfully Ive never heard of detox before. All of this is new to me and I feel a bit lost.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

I was like you too. I stayed up drinking, and then tossed and turned until I could get my morning drink on the way to work. I worked in a brewery, so it was easy to get away with having a belly full of booze in the morning. I had to go to a hospital for detox, because the withdrawals were so bad. As others have said, and more will continue to say, he best thing to do is talk to your doctor to see if you can detox at home. If you don't have a doctor, you can always go to the emergency room to get checked out and see what your options are for detoxing. It sounds like you are ready for a change.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I can say the construction industry definitely is not help at all. I too have been in construction since 16 and Ofcrourse drinking since then also.

It's our job to be rude, dishonest, swear, be derogatory towards women, and Ofcrourse to drink ourselves stupid and be proud of it.

Seriously I love my job (carpenter) but man , what a lousy industry it is.

But the physical side of the job definitely contributes to a drinking problem, everyone in our team had a drinking or drug problem, sadly.

And when I come home after doing 3 hours of unexpected overtime, the first thing I did is crack open my cold beer and go nuts. On a Monday.

Iam currently on a 3 month break, taking it easy, looking for new pathways, and have realised that my biggest challenge will be not drinking after work.

So I can relate to your reason to drink.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Just want to welcome you to SR. There are some great links about recovery plans, Dee is usually around to post one. A good place to start is the August of 2016 Class. You will find lots of support from others who have decided to stop drinking in August as well.

I was on and off this site for about four years, and went between sobriety and failed attempts at moderation. This past NYE I decided enough, and that 2016 is going to be my first of many sober and healthy years. I will have 8 months on September 1st. The most important part of my recovery plan has been checking in here daily.

I knew I was finally ready, and although the first few days/weeks were tough sobriety has been so worth it.

Looking forward to seeing you on here.

❤️ Delilah
Old 08-23-2016, 03:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Just want to welcome you! You've made the most important first step by admitting to yourself and other human beings that you have a problem and need to stop! Thats awesome!

I agree with other wise posters who have shared the need for a complete medical workup with doctor or ER. Just want try to be as safe as possible detoxing off the alcohol and as comfortable as possible too.

Best wishes to you and many blessings !
Old 08-23-2016, 03:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

I'm not expert... But I managed to quit after years of heavy drinking. Like you I was drunk every day.

If you are ready to commit to quitting, please take the advice and see a doctor. Be honest and let the professionals help. Or at least make sure you are in good health to quit without major problems....

Once you quit drinking ... You will go through withdrawal ... Body will be a bit out of whack..... While it's figuring out how to cope without the booze. This Detox took me 3-5 days and I was sick... Flu like symptoms........so First 3 days I stayed in bed almost 24 hrs a day. But by day 4, I was getting better.

But I quit! It has taken 8 months with a few slips..... But today I am 30 days alcohol free.

Brother.. Let me tell you. It is amazing waking up 30 days in a row Not drunk .. Not hung over. Not out of control ........

Good luck !
Old 08-23-2016, 03:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
sober style

Welcome to SR, Redneck!
Old 08-23-2016, 05:14 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome RN
Old 08-23-2016, 05:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi. Welcome.
There's so much to take in isn't there. I was the same when I first found myself here, still hoping someone could tell me how to moderate so I could have the alcoholic without it messing my life up.

Glad you're here. Keep reading and posting.

Wishing you all the best for your recovery. BB
Old 08-23-2016, 05:55 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by redneck346 View Post
Hey yall I'm new here. Not exactly sure how this all works. Im an alcoholic I've never really tried to quit before but it's at the point of being more destructive than good anymore but I have no idea where to start or if I even can manage to put the bottle down. To tell a bit about myself ove worked construction all my life. Started drinking heavily everyday at 16 when i got into roofing and thats when it really picked up and before i knew it i was drinking on the roof operating ewps and bulldozers while hammered. I'm highly functional when I drink and I'd say 98% of the time if you see me I'm drunk. The real awakening for me was when my engagement fell through the cracks due to my drinking. I've never seen it as the issue I've always blamed others or managed to deflect the blame of my booze on something else. Excuses like we'll even sober that wouldve happened or whatever excuse I could use. My mother has constantly tried to intervene but I just always assure her I'mfine and swift talk my way out of it. I'm sick of lying to myself that it's not a problem. Any advice?
You are very self-aware. That's awesome. So many are not self-aware at all. You're off to a good start buddy.

I suggest something that your can wrap your mind around. Commit to 30 days, no more, no less, no excuses. If you really are drunk 98% of the time (I am taking you literally here), you are going to have some pretty nasty withdrawals. Talk to your doctors, be honest, ask for help and be sincere. They will definitely help you, this is one of the best things you can do for yourself!
Old 08-23-2016, 06:01 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by redneck346 View Post
Yea it's gotten to the point that I rarely sleep I'm either up drinking or I sleep just long enough till the liquor store is open. I'm an average of 12 tall cans a day. I blew 14 grand on beer last season alone. Recently was admitted to the hospital for vomiting blood. I just have no idea how I can even stop it seems impossible.
Definitely hit up your doc. They will help you be more comfortable during that first week. But the great news is that the first week only happens once and then it's behind you.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:44 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Redneck!!
Old 08-23-2016, 07:51 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the support today I've got an appointment with my doctor to discuss terms of detox to begin my recovery.