Notices

Me now...

Old 08-22-2016, 05:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Me now...

Age 39, guess I first realized when I had a problem when I made an account on this forum in 2010...sigh....I'm the kind of person that drinks always saying, I can quit next week or Ill start tapering next week, rinse and repeat and time just goes on by. I've finally decided I'm done with drinking....I'd say on average I'm a 8 beer per day dude, some days it might end up 10-12 beers but not usually unless I start drinking at supper time. I only drink in the evening and job is fine, I'm basically functionally fine. I probably only missed 3 weeks of drinking in the past 10 years when my father in law died of pancreatic cancer at age 52. I've been trying to tapper of the last little bit but wasn't working too good until a few days ago I noticed a dull off/on ache in my right rib area which scared me. After all the googling of the last few days it scared me straight. The last bw I've had done was probably 3-4 years ago and all was normal but my GP does not know I have an issue. I'm due for bw now and seeing my doctor in two days. I went from 8 beers 3 days ago, to 6, to 4 last night and will only be 2 beers tonight. I'm thinking I should come clean with the doctor on Thursday just for piece of mind and to ask for my lft's to be checked and get him to check me over as I'm worried about what damage I might have caused my liver. if any....I must have fatty liver after 10 years of daily at least.....I'm still done with drinking....but also worried about any withdraw even with tapper and PAWS.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey fancy,
Our situations are very similar. The amount we drink and things hadn't spun out of control in my life "yet". I'm a bit older then you and made a ton of attempts to quit. Once I discovered SR I feel things fell into place. I come here every night even if it's to read. So many wonderful people here to help.i will say moderation was and is not something I could do. So I don't drink at all. I'm still early in sobriety. Welcome to the family.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back Fancy

D
Old 08-22-2016, 05:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So happy you are here!
Welcome back!
Old 08-22-2016, 05:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mattq2 View Post
Hey fancy,
Our situations are very similar. The amount we drink and things hadn't spun out of control in my life "yet". I'm a bit older then you and made a ton of attempts to quit. Once I discovered SR I feel things fell into place. I come here every night even if it's to read. So many wonderful people here to help.i will say moderation was and is not something I could do. So I don't drink at all. I'm still early in sobriety. Welcome to the family.
Hi Matt,

Thanks for sharing. Did you quit cold turkey? taper? detox? what was your experience after your last drink? I only had 2 regular beers tonight and plan to just have one tomorrow night.....
Old 08-22-2016, 05:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's good to see you fancy. I do think you should tell your doctor what's on your mind. You'll feel relieved after discussing it with him.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back, Fancy! I'm glad you're planning to talk to your dr.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Fancy,
I had seven years sober once and thought I could handle having a beer again. Well I couldn't. I drank for another 14 years. I only drank beer too. Usually about 8 every night. I could never moderate it just didn't work. I've only been sober for 50 days this time so I have along way to go. This time I had to quit. I new something real bad was going to happen either with my health or my career. I could feel that eight or nine beers wasn't getting it done anymore and another increase was coming. I also felt my will to quit leaving me. If I didn't quit now, right now I was afraid I never would. I have always succeeded in most other aspects in my life, family ,career, life in general. The future was clear to me, I was going to ruin it all for beer. Stupid indeed. I promised my wife I was done or I would go to rehab. Cold turkey and stopped. It wasn't and still isn't easy but I'm not going to fail. You have to want to do it my friend. It's the only way out of the nightmare. Sorry it's so long but you asked. Physical withdrawals were not that bad for me, the mental BS was much more difficult. You can do it pal
Old 08-22-2016, 06:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fancy19 View Post
Age 39, guess I first realized when I had a problem when I made an account on this forum in 2010...sigh....I'm the kind of person that drinks always saying, I can quit next week or Ill start tapering next week, rinse and repeat and time just goes on by. I've finally decided I'm done with drinking....I'd say on average I'm a 8 beer per day dude, some days it might end up 10-12 beers but not usually unless I start drinking at supper time. I only drink in the evening and job is fine, I'm basically functionally fine. I probably only missed 3 weeks of drinking in the past 10 years when my father in law died of pancreatic cancer at age 52. I've been trying to tapper of the last little bit but wasn't working too good until a few days ago I noticed a dull off/on ache in my right rib area which scared me. After all the googling of the last few days it scared me straight. The last bw I've had done was probably 3-4 years ago and all was normal but my GP does not know I have an issue. I'm due for bw now and seeing my doctor in two days. I went from 8 beers 3 days ago, to 6, to 4 last night and will only be 2 beers tonight. I'm thinking I should come clean with the doctor on Thursday just for piece of mind and to ask for my lft's to be checked and get him to check me over as I'm worried about what damage I might have caused my liver. if any....I must have fatty liver after 10 years of daily at least.....I'm still done with drinking....but also worried about any withdraw even with tapper and PAWS.
You can do it. You are still pretty young. I was a beer guy too, 12 pack a day at least. SR is great, read others stories and realize if they can make it so can you. I quit 6 months ago. Hang in there.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
fgo

Hi fancy19,
We have a great group of people in the August class, maybe you would like to say hi.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome! I too was a heavy beer drinker. I told my doc everything when I got sober and it all worked out. I would tell him/her everything so they can help you along. Good Luck and keep us posted!!
Old 08-23-2016, 07:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for the encouraging words guys, part of the reason I never told my GP is that I didn't want that information in my file in case I ever have to apply for any kind of life insurance but I think my health is worth more then that reason. I also always thought I would quit on my own, wait a few months then get my blood work done so it wouldn't/might not be bad re LFTs....I'm thinking I should get it done now just so I know how it is vs waiting.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good luck. Tapering isn't really very effective for most alcoholics. I know I could never do it. If you really want to quit - REALLY WANT TO QUIT - it's okay to spend time at a detox center to ensure you have a safe and effective experience. It's cheap (sometimes free) and only lasts a few days. The reason we alcoholics love to chatter about tapering is because it means we get to drink. You've got to give up the ghost and really want this, it's a huge lifestyle decision and it's nothing to play around with. You really want to get sober? Detox. I did it, and it sucked but considering it was just 24-48 hours out of my life it was a pretty good solution. Get support. AA. Whatever's out there. It's free. It's available. Do it.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I've only had 2 beer last night and 4 the night before and feel totally fine right now....plan on 1 tonight then doctor tomorrow. I'm really ready for the lifestyle change. I don't have any urges to get a buzz on.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome back Fancy, make this your turning point, you can do this!!
Old 08-23-2016, 09:37 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by fancy19 View Post
Thanks for the encouraging words guys, part of the reason I never told my GP is that I didn't want that information in my file in case I ever have to apply for any kind of life insurance but I think my health is worth more then that reason. I also always thought I would quit on my own, wait a few months then get my blood work done so it wouldn't/might not be bad re LFTs....I'm thinking I should get it done now just so I know how it is vs waiting.
I think your heath is of utmost importance too. Our addiction likes to come up with as many excuses as it can to not seek help/keep drinking.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:56 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Moderating didn't work for me. I just had to stop drinking entirely. Life is much, much simpler now.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:59 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Moderating does not work for me either, I'm just proud that I have taperd down to one beer over the last 4 days....now just gotta figure out how to break it to the doc..
Old 08-23-2016, 01:05 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You won't be telling your doctor anything he hasn't heard before.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I was straight up with my GP when I quit and I'm so glad I was. Laying it all out there in a professional setting ... in my doctor's office ... made it real. Stripped the last bit of denial away.

We discussed whether I needed meds stopping (I didn't), blood work (high LFT results that normalised after 3 months) and counselling (she gave me a referral). We were a team fighting my alcoholism. Coming clean with my doctor is one of the best things I ever did.