Notices

About 6 days sober now. Planning a trip.

Old 08-21-2016, 10:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

About 6 days sober now. Planning a trip.

About 6 days completely sober now. 7 or 8 if you count the days I only had 1 beer because I was tapering off. Feeling better, but still struggling emotionally. Little physical withdrawal left. I posted before though about struggling with my emotions. Life long depression and anxiety that has at times almost been suicidal in the past. I'm ok now but feeling off and on at times extremely lonely, empty, useless, depressed and hopeless. However at other times I'm feeling very happy. Anyway I have the next 12 days off work, vacation. I need it too as I'm burning out a bit at work. So I decided on a whim at the last second just about the take a camping trip to the rockies. It's all booked now including a stay at a hotel on the way up and down. In total about 7 days (2 driving up, 3 there, 2 driving back). I'll be camping at Mt Robsin Meadows camp site, hope to hike up to iconic Kinney Lake and do lots of photography up there. I just finished packing up all my camping gear at my parents house into my car. Tomorrow I'll make last minute arrangements and start Tuesday morning. Feeling excited for this.

Doesn't mean that my struggles are over I know. There are things coming up that I'm worried about stress wise in terms of a relapse. And for some reason long term I still don't feel good about things. But for now it feels good. Here's what the view from Kinney Lake should look like weather permitting:

Old 08-21-2016, 11:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

That looks beautiful, Smilax! Congratulations for enjoying your sober life!
Old 08-21-2016, 11:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Well done on 6 days
Old 08-22-2016, 01:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you have a great alcohol free break Smilax

I assume the campsites miles from liquor stores but have you got a plan for when you're at the hotel tho?

D
Old 08-22-2016, 02:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Smilax,

Have fun sir. The mountain air will be amazing.

Like Dee said. Have a plan.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

The photo looks like an amazing place.
Way to go on 6 days !
Old 08-22-2016, 03:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That is just absolutely GORGEOUS!! Prayers that you will enjoy each and every second of your journey- sober, so that you can always have wonderful memories that arent clouded by the haze that comes over us due to alcohol.
This post made me think about a wonderful opportunity to visit California, I was in heaven as the ocean is my happy place and this opp. allowed me to actually work there for 7 weekswith an ocean front lodging. I had visions of long walks on the beach, soaking up the sun and having some serene, peaceful me time without alot of outside distractions. What actually happened is that I spent 90 percent of my non work time, drunk. I have little to no memory of that wonderful God given paradise. That is just one of the many regrets and opportunties that alcohol stole from me. It was also one of the many examples that led to my final choice to embrace a recovery lifestyle.
If I had the chance to go today, I would definitely have a recovery plan and Im hoping you will consider doing so as well. Our illness is so freaking sneaky, I just know it would be talking to me and telling me a bunch of lies like, No one will know, Just this one time, or Her we can start again tomorrow.
Please consider a plan for your time away to keep you safe and protect the gift you have given yourself, your sobriety!
Enjoy and many blessings on your journey!
Old 08-22-2016, 09:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Day 6 is fantastic Smilax!! Keep it going!!
Old 08-22-2016, 10:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Have a great, sober trip.

I went to the Tetons in my third week of sobriety. The air and scenery invigorated me and aided my direction in recovery.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you enjoy your well-needed vacation.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hope you have a great alcohol free break Smilax

I assume the campsites miles from liquor stores but have you got a plan for when you're at the hotel tho?

D
Thanks Dee. Yeah it's a good idea to have some kind of plan you are right. One good thing about Canada is that Alcohol isn't as easy to get as in the states. Mostly only sold at Government run liquor stores, not available in super markets or convenience store and the government run ones all close at 9 to 11pm. But you are right. The town I'm staying in is rather boring. I'll try to bring some stuff to do. Photography is a passion of mine so I'll be sure to get out even there to do some.