Notices

Newcomers Weekender Aug 19th - Part 2

Old 08-22-2016, 07:27 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Anyway, I guess the unfinished point of what I was writing about the seasonal changes is that it happens . Hang in there through it. Reach out a little more. Double down on what is working for you. Rethink what isn't working for you. Change things up. Every season has the feelings. Each holiday too. Unease. Dis-ease. Traps for the unwary.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:35 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Congratulations to all those who are new to the weekenders thread and made it through the weekend sober, especially anyone who had their first sober weekend in a long time.

Stick around through the week until the new weekender thread starts up Thursday morning east coast US time.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:38 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Originally Posted by U75 View Post
Mesa, your pic made me take a deep breath to smell that clean, fresh air. Unfortunately, I got a big lungful of air conditioned corporate air. Oh well.
Could have been worse, you could have tried to take the deep breath on the street and wound up with a lung full of sooty exhaust.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:06 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

@Mesa, wow, I can just taste the Mennonite in those tomatoes!
It's illegal to add Mennonites to tomatoes in our state, darn it

Old 08-22-2016, 10:02 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Hundred foot journey. Lazy day.

Smile today. Don't forget!
Old 08-22-2016, 10:04 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

I second what SUID said!!!! Welcome and congrats to those who arrived this morning sober. If not never think today is not a good day to start fresh. That's the beauty of a sunrise.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:08 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Do your best

Evening everyone
Old 08-22-2016, 10:11 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by ScrewdUpInDe View Post
Could have been worse, you could have tried to take the deep breath on the street and wound up with a lung full of sooty exhaust.
London exceeded it's ANNUAL Nitrogen Dioxide limits by 8th January this year - it causes 9000+ premature deaths a year but our politicians are in the pocket of the vehicle lobby so nothing will be done about it. Makes me really angry

Ken, I hope you feel better soon and Behan I hope your canals are clean and shiny by now

To all the new people on the thread U75 speaks for me too - thank you

A few months ago I went on some sort of management course at a place called Harlaxton Manor (well worth a Google even though we were in some new buildings not the big old house)

One of the people I met there called me last week and without any great enthusiasm I went to lunch with him today. Much to my surprise I got a fair sized order out of him with the potential for more to follow. That kind of thing almost feels like cheating but i'll take it

The one downside? (there has to be one) my boss reminding me of how I rubbished the whole thing which is true, I was reluctant

Home time
Old 08-22-2016, 10:21 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Hey everyone,

Nice to see weekend went well for everyone.

It's kind of funny, but weekends were generally quieter for me, my major trigger for the past few years has been my train journey, which is where I am sitting right now. Not worried though, the two places I must go are work and home, so I just established no more train drinks and that's it.

Being a new face myself I can't really say welcome to the new faces, but it's nice that this thread is always busy and has a more chilled out vibe, that fits well with my personality.

@Ken, hope you get better soon.

@U75 - glad your little one is better and well done for the weekend. They don't say curiosity killed the cat for no reason (even though cats would have to be really stupid to die of curiosity seven times).

More singing for me later tonight!

P
Old 08-22-2016, 10:22 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Safe trip home Sao. Congrats on the order. How did you rubbish the whole thing?

Lunchtime here and I have no idea what I have a taste for. I'm buried to my eyeballs in paperwork and my brain hurts. I'm glad this is a short week.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:41 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Hey, all.

Ruby and I are on the same lunch wavelength. My lunch looks nothing like the delicious tomato/avocado/mozz thingie Mesa posted. Nor did my dinner last night, nor shall my dinner tonight. But I did make Caprese salad a couple weeks ago, so I've got that going for me, right?

The weekend was a bit of a challenge for me. Felt scatter-brained and a bit aimless all weekend, coupled with the lack of sleep due to the 3yo's illness, and the by-and-large crappy weather, resulted in my thoughts turning to drinking more so than has become usual. It wasn't really cravings, per se, but more like my brain ruminating on how it felt to have a few drinks in me, like I was testing myself to see if I can even remember how it felt. Dangerous path, I know. I dealt with it by finding something to do or spending time with one of the kids, and playing the tape to the end. But still, a weird weekend.
Hang in there, U75/Das Boat. My own experience during my first year of sobriety was that I was mindful of the vulnerabilities posed by Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired (HALT). None of the first three came close to the vulnerability I felt when I was extremely tired/sleep-deprived. That came as a surprise to me because I'd have thought anger/loneliness might have been more of a danger zone but they weren't. Everyone is different, though.

For our new friends here, HALT is an important tool to keep front and center in both the early days and as time goes by. Keeping in mind what challenges those factors could pose for you and how you'll respond is a great way to solidify your sobriety.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:03 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
Safe trip home Sao. Congrats on the order. How did you rubbish the whole thing?

Lunchtime here and I have no idea what I have a taste for. I'm buried to my eyeballs in paperwork and my brain hurts. I'm glad this is a short week.
Take care of yourselves Ruby and Venecia

Ruby I poo poo management/sales "events" and I was right up until the moment I was wrong

I am fairly tall but I stood next to a proper leviathan on the tube train 6'10" - 7' range. There was a jazz band playing at my stop which reminded me of the jazz "pop-up" that was here a while back, they were really rather good. I found this on YouTube

Old 08-22-2016, 11:27 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I seem to have lost my good morning post.....I know I wrote one, but it's not here...
anyway weasel, I hope you feel better after a day of rest. It sounds good to me....I think I overdid it over the weekend.
But....I finished the sweater this morning! Such a good feeling.
now I better get to work!
Old 08-22-2016, 11:43 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

@Ven, yeah, for me it's the "A" and the "T" that get me in the drinking mood. It's not even Anger as much as "frustration with others" that makes me want something to help me relax. In the past I've been a pretty uptight person, and drinking helped me "go with the flow" more, or so I thought. In reality, it was the fact that I was constantly feeling crappy from drinking that I was always uptight and snapping at others. Then I'd drink in order to mellow out, etc. etc. the cycle continued.

Being extremely tired this weekend, I noticed that I was being more of a grouch than usual, so maybe it was that old instinct to drink as a way of mellowing out that was rearing its head. I'll have to think about that some more.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:46 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Hey all! Just saying hi quickly!

I am off to a doctor appointment. And then I'm going to find something to eat and eat a lot of it.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:13 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Do your best

Watching Ray Donovan latest episode hope everyone is having a nice day afternoon or evening
Old 08-22-2016, 01:27 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Evening all. I can hear again!!!
Old 08-22-2016, 01:29 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Yay!
Old 08-22-2016, 01:29 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Yippee Behan!!
Old 08-22-2016, 01:39 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Ok I'm back.
No accountability is bad for me and you guys are my only accountability.
Drinking is spiralling out of control again.
Drank 3 days out of 7 and was day drinking once.
Not much- a bottle of wine each time- but we all know where this is headed.

Nothing is wrong, not sad, not mad, not lonely- nothing.
Just being an addict.
Gotta pull it together again.