Notices

Sobriety without A.A

Old 08-23-2016, 02:27 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GnikNus View Post
Hey Dee-

I was a bit more generous- I said "it doesn't work for all," and acknowledged that it "works for many." I hope that's not too out of line in a thread about sobriety without AA?

Recovery is in transition. I heard a story on the radio not too far back about AA and the many alternatives/ different approaches out there now. Many of them are not a "this way or the highway (to hell, presumably)" approach that AA can Sometimes (sometimes) take, depending on who is part of the meetings. The story mentioned the fact that AA's approach comes from a 1930's context- the 30's are quite a while ago. We're talking before the Second World War happened, so there's been some water under the bridge since then.
I think what's happening is the classic "old way vs. new way" scenario that humans are constantly coming up against. As I mentioned before, I think all approaches to sobriety ( AA certainly included) can and do work. Many people would not be alive if it weren't for AA. Many people have also gotten sober without it.
I completely agree. In fact I am often surprised that I don't hear acknowledgement about how access to information and communication is transforming the recovery world. When my mother got sober over three decades ago there were no websites, she had a dog-eared meeting book that she carried with her. She is still sober today. My recovery does not involve AA and I have primarily used SR as my means of support. I could not be more grateful that SR is available 24/7 and the relationships I made here were as important to me as some of my real life friends.

Shame and secrecy have long plagued active alcoholics and addicts and prevented many from seeking help. The fact that someone can sit at home and become educated about the progressive nature of addiction, find treatment centers, meetings, therapists, doctors, and of course, amazing forums like SR is to me a very major deal. I think a lot more people are willing to cross a virtual threshold under the cloak of anonymity. People who don't have access to transportation, or who are afraid of being seen because they live in a small town or have unsupportive family members. The internet is going to have a profound effect on recovery and I believe that we are just scratching the surface.

I think it also provides a safe place for people who want to get sober but struggle with social anxiety or those who are introverts. Recovery rates continue to be abysmal across the board, but my hopes are that there will continue to be a steady march forward in reaching as many people as possible and providing them with access to the different existing forms of support. I also hope that because people from all over the world can communicate that we not only help those who are struggling but continue to educate the general public about the nature of alcohol and drug abuse.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:00 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by GnikNus View Post
Hey Dee-

I was a bit more generous- I said "it doesn't work for all," and acknowledged that it "works for many." I hope that's not too out of line in a thread about sobriety without AA?

Recovery is in transition. I heard a story on the radio not too far back about AA and the many alternatives/ different approaches out there now. Many of them are not a "this way or the highway (to hell, presumably)" approach that AA can Sometimes (sometimes) take, depending on who is part of the meetings. The story mentioned the fact that AA's approach comes from a 1930's context- the 30's are quite a while ago. We're talking before the Second World War happened, so there's been some water under the bridge since then.
I think what's happening is the classic "old way vs. new way" scenario that humans are constantly coming up against. As I mentioned before, I think all approaches to sobriety ( AA certainly included) can and do work. Many people would not be alive if it weren't for AA. Many people have also gotten sober without it.
Yeah I was speaking generally but, subconsciously, used your post as an example. My bad.

Apologies if you thought me unfair

I still maintain personal experience shared works better than opinions in these threads tho*. Certainly leads to more discussion/less conflict.

(*That's not directed specifically at you Gnik)

D
Old 08-23-2016, 05:27 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Very well said, Jaynie.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:30 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I think everyone in recovery needs some form of support from others, but it doesn't have to be AA. I truly believe the antidote to addiction is love/community/friendship/family, and when we're alone, we die.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:48 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I am not AA but I would sometimes go to meetings just to be around other sober people. Lots of people get sober without AA. I think that what matters most is to pick a path (or create your own) and work it like your life depends upon it. I've seen too many good people die from this to argue anymore about recovery methods. I know that I drinking doesn't work for me so I just don't drink.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:15 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Yeah I was speaking generally but, subconsciously, used your post as an example. My bad. Apologies if you thought me unfair I still maintain personal experience shared works better than opinions in these threads tho*. Certainly leads to more discussion/less conflict. (*That's not directed specifically at you Gnik) D
No worries, Dee. I figured you were thinking about the ongoing debate of AA vs. alternative recovery methods (and current heated discussions on other threads in SR).

Yeah, personal experiences are important. I'm sharing my experience of getting sober with AA and hoping to steer clear of opinions that people will return to drinking without AA, etc.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Sober Recovery saved me. I would never have been able to pull myself out of alcoholism without it.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:52 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I went to meetings fairly often for about nine years, staying sober the whole time. These were largely agnostics and atheists groups, disapproved of in some quarters, but nonetheless helpful to me. I never had a real sponsor but the group as a whole helped me so much and supported me. My higher power was, then, the group and many or indeed most of us seemed successful at maintaining sobriety. As time went on I attended less but came back every now and then. I have been sober now for nearly 28 years, have no cravings to drink despite the challenges of growing old (89). I have periods of depression but get help from my physician for that. I guess that I reached the point where I was able to apply the things I had learned in AA by myself without the assistance of a particular person like a sponsor. Maybe some can do that, some cannot. The important thing is to do whatever is necessary so as to not drink. I don't expect to live very long now. Will probably go by a heart attack or stroke (have had three heart operations). After I die I don't expect to be going to meetings much and probably will not worry about sobriety unless someone pours Irish whiskey on my grave the way a friend did for my mother.

W.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:47 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I've been there. I've had slogans hammered into me by mom who's in Alanon. I've been told AA is the only way, that real alcoholics can't do without it. That's all bogus.

I'm in AA, by choice. Been in and out since 16, I'm 22 now. This is the only time I've actually wanted the program. It does a lot for me. It gives me a place to vent to people who understand alcoholism, talk about spirituality, meet some down to earth people and it takes away the feeling of isolation. That's what it does for me and I appreciate AA for those reasons. But its not for everyone. It is a program of attraction, after all.

People did get sober before AA came around. There are other ways to do it. Some do it on their own without any outside help. Some people go to church. Others just tune into their spirituality. Some do therapy, IOP groups, etc.

You are the only one who can find what works for you, AA is just a suggestion for a means of recovery (that's free and available in most areas). It doesn't mean its the only way.

I level with you on your dad. I don't really like people who throw slogans at others and nag them into the rooms.

I love spirituality and it is way more important to my wellbeing and recovery than AA (and some will say AA is the only way for an alcoholic to get spiritual). It has brought me so much happiness and good things. Prayer connects me with God and gets me through things. Meditation lets me feel God and relieves stress and hard feelings. I suggest you look into it too, but that's just a suggestion for something that helps a lot of people stay sober. I would never throw a slogan about prayer or meditation at you and tell you its the only way (though I hope you experience what its given me).

Relax and don't stress about it, you'll find what works for you
Old 08-26-2016, 05:54 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I could never muster up much more than a few months with AA/NA without relapse. I won't blame the program for my failure, but I will say that my sobriety without the program has been the most successful and the most eye opening than any time I spent in the program. It is not for everyone. Unfortunately the hardcore people who say you can't stay sober without meetings/the program are usually pushing it on the most vulnerable and without question have cosigned death certificates due to their lack understanding of anything not 12 step related. Be smart and be careful.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:25 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I've used AA as my main recovery support system for the last 3 1/2 years. However, I have several friends who have found other pathways to recovery and have flourished as a result. I have a friend who's stayed sober for 5 years on his own. Another who's stayed sober for two years through therapy and medication. I've also met several people who've successfully used church, Celebrate Recovery and SMART Recovery as their recovery programs.

While I think AA is the reason I've personally been able to maintain my own sobriety, I realize and respect that there are many pathways to recovery and it's not a one-size-fits-all solution. With that said, I do think that we all need a program, no matter what that program may be.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:20 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

+1 for shirlygirly
Old 08-26-2016, 09:05 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
sober style

Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
After I die I don't expect to be going to meetings much and probably will not worry about sobriety unless someone pours Irish whiskey on my grave the way a friend did for my mother.

W.
That type of awesome right there is eternal.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:52 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Coming up to five years now. AVRT struck a chord with me, or perhaps I was just finally ready to stop. . .

If you really mean it, the method seems to be of secondary importance. Most people with lots of sober time usually seem to have a daily program of some sort though.

Last edited by sobermax; 08-27-2016 at 07:54 AM. Reason: error