Notices

Now at day 7 I enter the danger zone

Old 08-22-2016, 04:23 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Unfortunately, I cannot avoid tempting situations without it stressing my relationship. Staying home for months just to get some time under my belt is not an option without severe consequences.
there's no need to sit at home. There's a million things you could do that need not involve alcohol.

Trying to get sober in a lifestyle that revolves around alcohol is a very hard ask.

Forgive me but I read a lot of threads and forget...Have you spoken to your partner about your problem?

D
Old 08-22-2016, 04:51 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi Dee - no worries, thank you for asking. He's very aware I quit drinking, and I've quit a few times in the past but with short term goals thinking that would solve the problem. I haven't told him that I have a texting accountability person for tough situations, and I haven't told him I joined this forum.
I haven't told him I quit drinking for good because I don't want to be reminded of the times I went back to drinking. I'm well aware of it, so I don't need someone doubting my ability to do this 100%. Also, I don't want my sobriety tied to him, I want it to be 'my thing'.
He would definitely tell me that if I stay sober over 2 weeks or a month, that is PROOF I don't have a problem. I feel otherwise at this point.
Yes it is tough to go out and not drink but only because things aren't quite as fun, in fact they can be boring. But that isn't my key trigger, stress and failure is.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:55 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

That sounds like a pretty good AV argument to me tho...

I can't change my lifestyle without it stressing me and stressing makes me drink, so I'll just continue to put myself in tempting situations...

D
Old 08-22-2016, 05:12 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

No, it's not like that at all. I wouldn't be able to describe it without disclosing information that would be too personal. Let's just say if I'm expected to attend an event this weekend, I'll be prepared not to drink at it. It's not that I'm signing up or volunteering to go, it's something I have to do - and - the good thing is that there will be other people there who have quit drinking, so it will be diet coke time.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:16 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

7 days way to go! I recommend just staying in the moment 24 hour blocks until you firmly have a good program in place. I am nearing 5 months and felt like drinking the last 4 days, so I speak from my experience 1 day at a time and stay plugged into recovery, good luck
Old 08-22-2016, 05:21 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thanks Fred - thank goodness for cell phones too - I can just log in here if needed. I don't think it will be that bad honestly, but I'll be prepared regardless.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:34 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Behappy1 View Post
Was this a low/no sugar diet that was talked about on here a while ago? Many say that helps immensely with cravings.
Sugar was my lifeline the first few weeks. Soda, candy, milkshakes. I allowed myself as much as I wanted the first month.