Notices

What exactly does a plan consist of?

Old 08-21-2016, 03:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What exactly does a plan consist of?

Hey everyone, I've been thinking about a recovery plan and not exactly sure how to write one.

Dee's links don't seem to work for me on my smartphone.

Anyway, can you guys give me some helpful dot points for the plan.

I already know that I should have a planned response if someone offers, or already know what to do if I get serious cravings. In other words escape methods.

What else can I use that helps you SR?

Thanks
Old 08-21-2016, 05:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Things like working on your recovery whether it be here reading & learning via participation here and going to recovery meetings there is secular & non secular so something for everyone. You can prepare an exit plan for any occasion, always reach out if you develop cravings, journal your journey it's a excellent reflection tool

Speaking to a Dr about possible therapy is a good idea as is a healthy diet & possible exercise plan ?

There is a lot you can build a plan with & having the basics where you are working on your recovery everyday will really really help

Speak up the second you get a niggling urge or craving remember to play the tape & always always reach out
Old 08-21-2016, 05:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi madruski
my very basic outline is here:

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

Basically a recovery plan is a plan to help you stop drinking/drugging and stay stopped.

Things like exercise and hobbies should be a part of just about every recovery plan - but I really believe we also need to specifically address the drinking/drugging too.

Think about changes you need to make to your life.

Not only changes what you do for fun, the places you hang out and who you hang with, but also deeper change.

No matter what you drink or used for - stress or boredom, anger, joy, physical or emotional pain - you need new coping mechanisms to deal with all those things.

you also need to anticipate those times when you will want to drink or use, or when drink/drugs will be offered to you.

Have a strategy in place for dealing with those situations.

Ask for help here if you're not sure what to do or how to do it

All this can be difficult - which is why support is so important.

It might be a Dr or a counsellor, or a group like AA SMART LifeRing or some other alternative...it might be outpatient or inpatient rehab - it might just be SR and other forums/chat rooms...

Find a level of support than works for you, and that you are willing to reach out when you're in trouble.

cover these bases, and you'll have the beginnings of a great plan.

This is an easy to read but detailed link which fills out the ideas a little more:
https://store.samhsa.gov/shin/conten...0/SMA-3720.pdf

D
I really couldn't steer you any better than to the source material:

The download page for the PDF above is
Action Planning for Prevention and Recovery: A Self-Help Guide|SAMHSA

The download page for the other link I recommend is
http://store.samhsa.gov/product/The-...ife/SMA14-4474
If that doesn't work for you on your smart phone maybe you could use someone's pc or something?

D
Old 08-21-2016, 05:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good luck! You can make a plan and do it, one day- even one minute or tiny chunk of time you divvy up your day into- at a time.