Notices

Dry drunk?

Old 08-21-2016, 04:47 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Yup, that was me to a T before I started working the program 100% and not 99%. Angry, frustrated, missed drinking, inpatient along with restless, irritable and discontent. After I surrendered I can say I'm no longer a dry drunken mess.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:06 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mattq2 View Post
I keep seeing that term here and didn't know what it meant. I googled it to make sure I wasn't one. Please take no offense but is it a real thing? How is it diffrent then somebody that really doesnt or isn't ready to stay sober?
seems a few people missed what the real questions were, which whether a person uses the term or not wasnt the question, but is it a real thing and how is it different than someone nlt ready to stay sober.
my opinion:
yes, its real.
its different from someone that isnt ready to stay sober is in active alcoholism.
one contains alcohol
one doesnt.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:07 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Matt

It's an AA term. It can be used like Sugarbear has...but it can also be misused or misunderstood in a negative, sometimes even hurtful, way - so I never use it and I suspect that's why Anna never does as well

D
Sorry, Matt, I should have said more, but Dee explained it perfectly. I try to avoid labels, in general. When I knew I was an alcoholic, it became really important to my recovery, to not focus on the word. I fully accepted that I was an alcoholic, but I was so much more than that. That's what I needed to remember to get through the early days.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:33 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Sorry, Matt, I should have said more, but Dee explained it perfectly. I try to avoid labels, in general. When I knew I was an alcoholic, it became really important to my recovery, to not focus on the word. I fully accepted that I was an alcoholic, but I was so much more than that. That's what I needed to remember to get through the early days.
Thank you Anna, I was afraid I offended you
Old 08-22-2016, 04:40 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

The term always reminds me that there is more to Sobriety than not drinking . . . if all we are doing is simply clinging on with our finger nails to Sobriety then something isn't right.

For me I needed to change up my lifestyle, my habits, my routines, my activities, build a new life, one that didn't revolve around alcohol, make new friends, new interests, carve out a new life, that was the key for me to making Sobriety a reality!!
Old 08-22-2016, 06:44 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I didn't realize it was considered derogatory, I'm glad I found out.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:06 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I find the term at best old-fashioned and out-of-date and as some have mentioned, it can be used as a negative label.