Notices

Questions about withdrawals

Old 08-20-2016, 04:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Questions about withdrawals

Hi guys, I just have a few questions.

I have been through withdrawal before but it's always just been the first day withdrawal, the second day gets better and then the third it's mostly gone. But I read where the symptoms actually worsen after three days... Is it different for everyone?

This time is a little different. I haven't slept in 2 days. Thursday was terrible for me, I had severe anxiety and was up all night. Friday day I went to work and the symptoms were mostly gone to the point where I thought I was in the clear.

I went to my dad's house because I had felt minor panic but seeing my family helped me to deter that.

But now, Friday night, I feel a lot of the symptoms I did last night. Why does it come and go like that? Did that happen to you? Or did u just feel crappy for 5 days straight with no rest?

Also, I was feeling fine just had problems getting to sleep so I took half of a Tylenol pm. Maybe that aggravated it?

Anyways, any insight into your withdrawal process would be awesome.
Old 08-20-2016, 04:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Look up kindling as an effect of multiple W/D episodes
Old 08-20-2016, 04:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Everyone is a little different. But what you're experiencing is pretty normal. After about a week the insomnia and anxiety settled down for me. The emotional roller coaster, however, went on for quite awhile. Good days with bad days sprinkled in between. Just realize that emotions will be up and down and when they happen it's not anything out of the ordinary.
Old 08-20-2016, 05:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

What are you doing to stay sober Jade meetings SR daily journal therapy reach out whenever you need
Old 08-20-2016, 09:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Like they said...the brain damage gets worse and worse w ea. Relapse.

It is a chronic and classic alcoholic state.

Some folks need rx meds for the rest of their lives. Some make it out and never drink again. Some commit suicide. Some go insane. It is terrifying stuff. Everyone's experience is unique.

You are detoxed, but your brain is now wired for booze. Chronic state.

It adapted to the booze. Without it, you feel anxious and spacey.

That is why we relapse over and over.

I still feel anxious and spacey (sometimes) after 15 months clean.

This alcoholic problem we have is as serious as it gets.

We can embrace sobriety or continue to fight addiction.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Just a Girl Trying to Make It...

It's kindling. My last withdrawal I had to go to the ER and it was on the third day. The good news is that you don't ever have to go through it again
Old 08-20-2016, 09:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Jade, I remember you were in my Class of March 2014 class and at that time you had tried to quit and continued to relapse - even back then.

Please do some research on Kindling and then get serious about complete abstinence. I've been sober now for almost 30 months continuously. I feel great, but this is serious, Jade. It will continue to get worse for you.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Kindling is bad. It will get worse each time and is dangerous.
Old 08-20-2016, 11:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Jade , Yes we are all different with WD symptoms but not that much . My pattern of withdrawal for a while was as you described first day withdrawal, the second day gets better and then the third it's mostly gone. BUT I got the fright of my life the last drink I had ( 11th may 16 ) , my symptoms got worse each day from about day 3 to 7 and only started improving very slowly after that but the mental side of it was torture ,black depression, fear,dread,anxiety ,night terrors .
The prescribed benzos helped a bit but not a great deal . I never want to go through that again ever ever . Please be aware that each time this happens we weaken ourselves body mind and spirit .
Old 08-20-2016, 12:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Jade, I felt up and down for weeks during my major withdrawal. Anxiety lasted the longest but got better after a few weeks. Everyone is different . Best to you!
Old 08-20-2016, 01:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes kindling bad! Making kicking my latest relapse that started four months ago a huge biatch!
Get a plan, a team, a dr, a meeting or 10, a counselor a sponsor and post like crazy. Or go the Dr.
I hope it gets better soon ! Let's kick this together
Old 08-20-2016, 02:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I haven't seen much consistency when it comes to WD. Seems like it affects everyone differently. Yours was nothing like mine. I drank for 3 yrs. but mine was BAD and took a long time. Just know that, with time, things do get better. It's hard to be patient and fear does tend go into over drive. You always want to be safe. Typically after 4 days the risk for seizure is minimal, but I think if you were headed that we you would be VERY ill (I was: I had one). I agree that they get worse with every attempt. You might want to look into PAWS. Please do your best to make this your last one. You deserve to live and feel well.
Old 08-20-2016, 02:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It for sure gets worse and worse as time goes on. I too use to find the hangovers/withdrawals to be not that bad, more of an annoyance for half a day, then it would turn into the entire day, then days, till I had a horrific binge where I was basically losing my mind, couldn't sleep more than 1/2 an hour a night for days, throwing up like crazy, night terrors, pouring sweat, I didn't start to get back on track until about a week later... it's nothing I ever want to experience again,..
Old 08-20-2016, 02:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Aye, its different for everyone. I'm on my 6'th day sober, and while the physical symptoms like high blood pressure, raised pulse, shakiness, sweats, etc, are all gone, I still can't get a decent night sleep. From what I hear, that's the last thing that'll get better.

I've also noticed that the physical symptoms came and went in waves during the first few days, often hour to hour. But I can promise, it gets better. I can also promise that each time you put yourself through this, it will be worse than the last time. That's the big one right here. Make this your last one, unless you're willing to put yourself through even more grief and misery.