Notices

It's that stupid 5 second window that can ruin everything

Old 08-19-2016, 01:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's that stupid 5 second window that can ruin everything

Ahh crap i fell off the sober train, I got to 8 days. Started to feel good and healthy. But by day 6 my cravings kept rising and rising , I said no Ofcrourse but day 8 they were screaming and a family members great idea to buy 3 litres of beer on this hot summers day was a combination many wouldn't resist. It led to a 3 day binge.

As my title says, I felt that 5 seconds of CHOICE that I have. I remember weighing up the pros and cons. I could of made that choice to say no it was right there infront of me.

Oh well back to square one.
Old 08-19-2016, 02:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Madruski,

That's behind you now. The question is what are you going to do to make sure this time it will be different?

It's early days but a plan seems to be working great for me, other people mention meetings, there are plenty of things that can help you.

Maybe start by joining the August class? We are all on early days there and have been helping each other out.

I am sure you can do this.

P
Old 08-19-2016, 02:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi madruski
Yeah - the ability to reach out before I get into trouble is pretty much a learned one.

It certainly didn't come to me naturally, but I was willing to do anything to stay sober.

Maybe you need a tighter plan ? more support?
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

or maybe like me you need a greater knowledge of what to do with cravings aside from waving them away and gritting your teeth?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

5 seconds can be enough to decide to fall off to the wagon...or it can be long enough to stay on it.

and stay away from family with beer. I finally worked out I had no business being around that kinda thing in early recovery.

It's just asking for trouble, man.

D
Old 08-19-2016, 03:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Dee, tell me about it. I sure did ask for trouble.

Unfortunately iam in a situation where alcohol is always around and sometimes becomes unexpectedly infront of my face.

I will work on looking at ways to combat cravings without just gritting my teeth, as you said.

And iam definitely gonna look at your plan page once again, this time more thoroughly.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I can sure relate to that five second window! And the part about having family around and alcohol in your face all the time…! But together we can do this! I am only on day two… Because every time I think that I can make it, that five second window jumps up and hits me in the face! Usually, it's for going out to dinner… And when my fiancé has a beer, of course I want one too! But yes, it is our choice to say no!
Old 08-19-2016, 08:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I echo what Dee mentioned. I failed to reach out before I drank a few times and the result was....I drank. But then I swallowed my pride and reached out before I drank and the result was I did not drink. The people here can be pretty persuasive. Wish you the best.
Old 08-19-2016, 10:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

it's good you are working on NOT drinking....but i think you may need to expand that statement to NOT DRINKING EVER. No Matter What. Not if hell freezes over, my ass falls off, or someone offers me a beer on a hot day. Period. Nyet.

in that way you do not leave any doors open. you do not leave yourself any reservations which allow for debate. your response, always, is just an automatic NO.
Old 08-19-2016, 10:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Madruski View Post
Unfortunately iam in a situation where alcohol is always around and sometimes becomes unexpectedly infront of my face.
Everyone lives in that situation Madruski. Alcohol is readily available 24/7 within minutes to anyone. And almost all of us are in situations where others are drinking at some point, whether we choose it or not.

That's even more reason to have a strong plan in place, I do hope you can follow through on some of the links and do some more reading to find something that works for you.
Old 08-19-2016, 10:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The road to anything will have a few stumbles.
Its picking yourself up after them instead of turning back home that's the key.