Notices

Drinking led my husband's suicide. I need to stop.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:24 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I'm sorry for your loss ,welcome to the forum .
Old 08-20-2016, 08:16 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Welcome Pezkin - you can do this but I would recommend you put a plan together to help you get through this journey. Counseling sessions, AA (if you want), this site, changing your daily routine up , learn coping skills, etc...
Old 08-22-2016, 08:39 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Pezkin - how are things going?
Old 08-22-2016, 08:58 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I am so very sorry for your loss. I also experienced a significant loss ( my son) to this disease 18 months ago. My drinking since his passing seriously escalated and I, like you, made the choice to begin to engage in a recovery program.
So many are giving such good advice about recovery, I hope you follow their suggestions. I just wanted to add that there is also specific group help for grief involving substance abuse. The group name is GRASP ( Grief Recovery After Substance Passing) and you can find it on facebook, online web page and also they do have some group meetings depending on location. That group has and is helping me to cope with my loss.
Blessings to you.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:32 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Pezkin - keep thinking about you and hoping you are ok - check in and let us know!
Old 08-25-2016, 01:16 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by awuh1 View Post
PLEASE consider going to an AA meeting. Here is a link to find meetings near you.
Find a Meeting | AA Meetings | Alcoholics Anonymous (Great Britain) Ltd

All the best to you.
Yes, do try an AA meeting! That's a good way to start. Give it a good try. Many folks have success with that, although it's not the only option. And keep posting on SR.. This is a great site. Lot's of helpful folks. The road to recovery is a challenge but it gets easier as time goes on. The key for me was getting support from other recovering alcoholics. You do that in AA and there are also other ways. Keep in touch. We will help you!

W.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:19 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hello all, it was a long time ago that I posted my initial post. I am sorry to say that I did not manage to give up drinking.

Since my last post I have moved to be closer to family and although I continued to drink for several weeks after arriving here, I have now been sober for three days and have started running again.

I plan to come back to these forums to seek further support and hopefully help others.

Thank you all
Old 03-06-2017, 01:30 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

From one widow of suicide to another, I am so sorry for your loss. my husband hung himself nearly 3 years ago and accelerated my alcohol abuse to numb the pain of it. You are in the right place for people to help you, take the advice from the people that have been here some time, they know what they are talking about. Stay here regularly,even if you mainly just read. I cannot tell you how much it helps you to feel less alone. I only started my councilling to deal with the death recently and it has helped tremendously, I couldn't recommend it high enough, but of course it takes time until you are ready and able to talk, I really feel for you and so glad you are here
Old 03-06-2017, 01:41 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I just wanna say you aren't alone and I really hope you are okay
Old 03-06-2017, 01:46 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Thank you both. The suicide was in December 2015. It'll never go away and I am still very much processing it. But it's not as raw anymore and in a way I feel I owe it to my husband to give up the alcohol that plagued our relationship all those years. And of course our children need me. I am going to do it this time! x
Old 03-06-2017, 01:50 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hi Pezkin, good plan to come back here, although I am sorry about the very difficult circumstances you are in. I only have a few days sober too, and am already feeling many benefits, not least, parenting my young son better. You can do this, its going to be so worth it.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:54 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hi Carlygirl, I definitely relate on the parenting front! I was despising myself for being so tired and sluggish all the time to really be a proper parent to the children, and they need me more than ever. Rushing bedtimes etc so I could have a glass of wine quicker.

Very best of luck to you well and long may the sobriety continue
Old 03-06-2017, 01:54 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Pezkin - I attempted suicide a few months before I found SR. Drinking just left me utterly depressed. This site and a lot of self evaluation and I am 9 months sober - getting ready to run a half marathon in a month, have fixed relationships with my kids. Life if so much better.

I am so sorry for your loss. You can do this. You are not alone. Hugs.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:56 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

That is fantastic that you have 9 months sober Bobbieka and that you've used this to train to a half marathon soon! I hope to aim for the same with my running - it definitely helps me too

Thank you for your kind words - I wish you all the continued best as well and best of luck with the half marathon
Old 03-06-2017, 02:29 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad that you checked in Pezkin and that you're doing well.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:56 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Pezkin, I rushed bedtime too. In the past week, as well as reading at bedtime, I have been reading to my son in the mornings, instead of groaning and turning over when he comes into my room in the morning. My being sober is so much better for him as well as for me.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:38 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

good to see you back, Pezkin, and sober.
and so very sorry to hear of your husband's suicide.......the highest cost.
glad you're here, alive, willing to change.

stick around.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:07 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Hi Pezkin, also so happy to see you back and picking yourself up and stepping forward again.
I am so sorry for your loss.
You are so worth it, to give yourself the gift of sobriety. I hope you find peace and healing on your journey. And keep coming back... you don't ever have to do this alone.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:31 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

For you I give support and empathy.
Do you see a therapist about the grief?
Old 03-07-2017, 02:37 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad to see you back Pezkin

D