Notices

Going to My First AA Meeting Tomorrow

Old 08-17-2016, 08:12 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thanks for letting us know cwood. So happy to hear it was such a help to you. Definitely gives me a lot more confidence to get in there. Did you go to an open discussion or different kind? Also wondering how long it was... my guess is an hour?
Old 08-17-2016, 08:15 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

It was slated to be a literature based meeting (reading from the book), since I was a newb, they decided to just go round the table and get me familiar with the folks (8 other than me). Due to rain, it started a little late, but we stayed until everybody had their say....about hour & 15-min. I could have stayed all nite!
Old 08-17-2016, 08:28 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks for the update, cwood. The meeting tomorrow is at noon. It is a closed meeting. I am guessing this means only those struggling with alcohol? Open suggests all can join? It is only a few blocks from my office so I am looking forward to going for a walk as well.

I am very sad today. I need to let go of this battle. See it with new eyes. It is so hard to read my old posts and I am so damned disappointed in myself. I don't think I can handle this roller coaster much longer. I'm exhausted. Exhausted of hating myself but doing little to help myself.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:38 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Vona71 View Post
Thanks for the update, cwood. The meeting tomorrow is at noon. It is a closed meeting. I am guessing this means only those struggling with alcohol? Open suggests all can join? It is only a few blocks from my office so I am looking forward to going for a walk as well.

I am very sad today. I need to let go of this battle. See it with new eyes. It is so hard to read my old posts and I am so damned disappointed in myself. I don't think I can handle this roller coaster much longer. I'm exhausted. Exhausted of hating myself but doing little to help myself.
Well you are taking the first right step by going to that meeting. It is exhausting but so is the roller coaster. Choose one day at a time to not give in to the ride of drinking. I have had to surrender that I will ever be able to drink normally. I can't and I have set out to find sober people to help. AA is a great start! Please let us know how it went! I just know something good will come out of it! All your job is tomorrow is to show up and listen
Old 08-17-2016, 09:09 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Vona, I'll be anxious to hear from you after the meeting. I predict that you will be (not feel) happy. My meeting was a closed meeting.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:19 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Best of luck to you Vona!!! Let us know how it goes!
Old 08-18-2016, 04:25 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I'm going to the 7am meeting here in a few minutes.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:19 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cwood3 View Post
It was slated to be a literature based meeting (reading from the book), since I was a newb, they decided to just go round the table and get me familiar with the folks (8 other than me). Due to rain, it started a little late, but we stayed until everybody had their say....about hour & 15-min. I could have stayed all nite!
cool beans! i find it pretty wild how a meeting with 20+ can be done in an hour, but 8-10 can go way longer and there will be great shares.

welcome home,cwood!
Old 08-18-2016, 06:25 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Meeting #2 was just as awesome. It's a great Day 6!
Old 08-18-2016, 06:29 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Vona71 View Post
My friend gave me a book today called "A Woman's Way Through the Twelve Steps." She said she very much enjoyed the perspective. In fact, she is the one who convinced me to go. She shared with me that she has been going every day for four days. I was very surprised and very proud of her. She recommended reading the Big Book as well. We didn't have time to get into it, but she inspired me to go.
Vona, this is a GREAT workbook. I am using it with my sponsor. It has practical questions for you to answer, and exercises to do that are simple but thought-provoking and really clarify the actual things alcohol did in our lives, what we did and thought while drinking. I hope you use it.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:42 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

My home group is a women's only meeting, and we are using "A Woman's Way" right now. It's excellent. We have had some of our best meetings with this book. We are going through it slowly. Two weeks ago some women shared things they have never said out loud to anyone. It was extremely powerful. I hope you have a good experience at your first meeting. Even if you don't, try again. Meetings vary greatly. If you share that you are new, no matter what kind of meeting it's supposed to be, they will probably abandon the agenda and welcome you with their stories, like the experience cwood had. It helps us who have been around a while when new people come to meetings and we just devote ourselves to helping them. So don't feel like you are putting anyone out. Helping others is one of THE most important things that keeps us sober.