Notices

Egocentrcity;"Showboating"

Old 08-20-2016, 09:53 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
EndGame

If what we do can only be called "authentic" if our motives are "pure" (and would otherwise be forbidden, though I'm not sure what "pure" in this context even means), then no one would ever be allowed to get married, have children, progress as individuals, pray, forgive, just learn, generally, have sex, work, or eat pizza. And there'd be no Mother Theresa.
Old 08-20-2016, 11:14 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
If what we do can only be called "authentic" if our motives are "pure" (and would otherwise be forbidden, though I'm not sure what "pure" in this context even means), then no one would ever be allowed to get married, have children, progress as individuals, pray, forgive, just learn, generally, have sex, work, or eat pizza. And there'd be no Mother Theresa.
i've heard that Mother Teresa has been known to dish out a bit of "tough love" now and then. Good for her! Go for it! Get out there and help somebody!

P.S.My grandma used to say, "You gotta pick yourself up by your bootstraps and get a good grip on yourself!" (What are "bootstraps" and how do you pick yourself up by grabbing on to them? Do you get a good grip on yourself while you do that or afterwards?)

W.
Old 08-20-2016, 11:48 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

(((Bill))) I have only sensed a humble and caring nature when you helped me during some tough times. You are a brilliant man, and a valuable source of experience here. If someone can't appreciate that, then I suspect that they just don't 'know' you very well.

I would want an Airedale as president, I think They appeal to me, and seem smart and brave.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:12 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chicory View Post
(((Bill))) I have only sensed a humble and caring nature when you helped me during some tough times. You are a brilliant man, and a valuable source of experience here. If someone can't appreciate that, then I suspect that they just don't 'know' you very well.

I would want an Airedale as president, I think They appeal to me, and seem smart and brave.
What about a St. Bernard or Newfoundland? Bravery is dangerous sometimes. Attila the Hun was probably brave. Also "Vlad the Impaler" (predecessor of Dracula). Smart is good but Teddy Roosevelt was smart and I'm not sure I would trust him with access to the nuclear launch codes.
Old 08-20-2016, 02:42 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Wonderful thread again wpainterw. I wanted to add my appreciation to those who look forward to stumbling across your mostly complex and thought provoking contributions to SR.
The ruminations on death and what our life might mean..... important stuff, arguably the most important. I've lost a couple of relatively young people (50's) from my life in the last few years and another friend has just been given 6 months after his recent diagnosis. I think I'm saying that we none of know when we're going and it's important to remember that.
I've also been lucky enough to have some conversations with some very poorly people who wonder "why am I still here?". My answer (for me and my spiritual belief) is that if you're still here then there's a purpose you still have to fulfil, that could be anything and we may well not know the reason. Could be something as simple (and powerful) as having influence on another.
xx
Old 08-20-2016, 02:59 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
i've heard that Mother Teresa has been known to dish out a bit of "tough love" now and then. Good for her! Go for it! Get out there and help somebody!

P.S.My grandma used to say, "You gotta pick yourself up by your bootstraps and get a good grip on yourself!" (What are "bootstraps" and how do you pick yourself up by grabbing on to them? Do you get a good grip on yourself while you do that or afterwards?)

W.
You know what's really cool? Just doing something good for someone without thinking about it. You can dissect your motivations afterwards, though I wouldn't recommend it if you value your time.

Bootstraps? Lots of different versions about where, when and with whom it originated. Traditional meaning is like getting yourself out of trouble on your own and without anyone's help. Good luck with that and with actually pulling yourself up by your bootstraps, the latter of which is sometimes taken to mean shoe laces. In an ironic twist, both enterprises are generally impossible without help. So, when we tell someone else to do it, we're offering poor advice, if not also imbuing them with supernatural powers. Even insulting them.
Old 08-20-2016, 03:53 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I do like St.Bernards and Newfies, though they are so gentle, they might be pushed around, do you think? Its a tough world, and whoever wants to lead should be of tough stuff, I think, and brave.
what do you think, William?
Old 08-20-2016, 05:28 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chicory View Post
I do like St.Bernards and Newfies, though they are so gentle, they might be pushed around, do you think? Its a tough world, and whoever wants to lead should be of tough stuff, I think, and brave.
what do you think, William?
How about a pit bull? Or should we not give him access to the nuclear launch codes? Would a Bernese Mountain Dog be pushed around? Of course a St. Bernard might be carrying a brandy flask. Certainly would be welcomed by an alcoholic caught in an avalanche. Would an Irish Water Dog be carrying Irish Whiskey? A French Poodle carrying Chateau LaFite '72? As for me, in all this summer heat, I'll settle for a spaniel carrying ice tea....

W.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:55 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Yes, a spaniel! such lovely animals.
I was looking about and found these two. Pres and Vice Pres?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
springer pups.JPG (55.5 KB, 47 views)
Old 08-21-2016, 09:45 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I am not sure any dog would care to be President ha ha - but maybe an Australian shepherd or Collie - smart, energetic and obsessed with organizing herds into safe spaces.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:41 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Catch 22

Enjoyed this. Hope you write again soon.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:59 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

From the above ideas, I think it is clear we need a pure bred mutt with an impressive resume, good fiscal planning abilities and a penchant for licking. If only...
Old 08-21-2016, 02:58 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

If only all people were like dogs, we wouldn't have to worry so much about who was president.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:04 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Not a word about horses. Is it time for us to do horses? Birds? (Penguins-obviously well dressed aristocrats-Owls? Pretentious well meaning academics). Aristocats? Cats? Pandas? (A cuddly President?) No tigers please! (Teddy Roosevelt) No snakes, spiders.

W.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:08 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Are hippos being considered?

Nice thread.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:43 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My dog Billie could be President. She's smart and gentle and loving and gets along with everyone.

Why not a horse in authority? Horses are smart too.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:54 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

My beagle would be a disaster! Hahaha
Old 08-21-2016, 07:07 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Yeah, so would mine, Madgirl. They'd follow their noses everywhere.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:48 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberpotamus View Post
Are hippos being considered?

Nice thread.
The problem with a hippo is that it has negative charisma. Would do poorly in Presidential debates, press coherences, State of the Union messages. Might well be out of the loop from spending too much time submerged. The only plus is that it would corner the overweight and obese vote, a growing electorate, growing in a very literal sense.
Has anyone considered ostriches? Are there some situations where it is wise to keep your head in the sand (although your a....s is elevated)?
Siamese twins? (Pres. and V.P,, The ultimate Presidential package!)

W.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:22 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

What a wonderfully thought provoking thread.

All I know is that I know nothing. I don't know if I'm me or my ego. One of us is real I'm sure.