Notices

There May Not Be A Tomorrow!!

Old 08-15-2016, 01:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

There May Not Be A Tomorrow!!

Hey Everyone,

I don't think I've ever shared this as yet to anyone on SR, but it struck a chord with me today and thought it would help someone somewhere.

Today marks the 18th anniversary of the Omagh Bomb, that's what I know it as, and for many others that might not mean very much, but in 1998 my home town of Omagh was ripped apart by a bomb as part of the Northern Ireland troubles which killed 31 people, included 2 unborn twins, and that has stayed with me and my generation until this very day.

I was a 15 year old at the time, and on that particular Saturday afternoon, doing what teenagers do, I met up with my group of friends in the afternoon, hung out, went to the local music shops and flicked through the CDs, checking out all the bands that were up and coming back then, proceeded by chilling out along the river, that was the only time I can remember that I had a group of friends around me in childhood, something real, something close, but it was all about to change just after 3pm on the 15th August 1998.

As the day progressed it became apparent that my best friend lost his mum, she worked in a shop less than 10 feet from the incident, that summer was spent going around his house, keeping him sane, staying over and being a friend as he came to terms with being left with only a step dad, and in time the town recovered, the crossroads where it all happened I drive past every morning on the way to work, but you’d never know of the tragedy that happened that afternoon.

Don’t ever put off what you can do today, Sobriety cannot wait until tomorrow, make it happen today, I once knew a group of 4 guys with the world in front of them, but life took a turn for the worst, there once was a set of twins not yet born, and they never even got to experience life, something we can now take for granted.

Make it happen TODAY, and start living, some never even got that chance!!

PK

Old 08-15-2016, 01:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm sorry for what you went through, and your friend and the citizens of Omagh. I was a teenager at the time, like yourself, and I'm not from Northern Ireland but I remember that day watching the news like it was yesterday.

Thank you for the thought provoking post.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Heartbreaking. That poor lad. To lose your mum at such an important age would've been devastating. I'll be hugging my boys a little tighter today. Thank-you for this reminder to cherish family, sobriety and this beautiful life.
Old 08-15-2016, 02:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I do remember that. It was tragic and a senseless devastation of a small community.
Old 08-15-2016, 02:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've had a hard day at work but this puts all the little things into perspective, so thank you.
Old 08-15-2016, 03:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for a powerful post PK.

D
Old 08-15-2016, 03:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Yes, I remember PK. Thank you for the valuable reminder - here I was, whining about the weather. I hope your friend who lost his mother was able to carry on and have a decent life. God bless the people of Omagh affected by this horrific incident.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
I hope your friend who lost his mother was able to carry on and have a decent life.
Took him a while to get started as did all of those affected, 2 of my group of 4 dropped out of university in the first year due to not being able to concentrate on much and having feelings of not knowing what they really wanted to do in life, I guess life lost a bit of meaning.

All 4 of us though finally made it through college, are all now employed with a career path, when it comes to contact though we are only somewhat still in contact, life took it's course as it does with many old school friends.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hard to believe that was 18 years ago, I remember the day it happened and where I was. I was 18 and used to live in Omagh when I was little, in fact my brother was born there. So many innocent lives lost that day and all the years of our official and unofficial 'Troubles'

Very poignant. Grab the day and cherish it, tomorrow may never come.
Old 08-17-2016, 04:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you for that post. I know I should appreciate every day I have here on earth but sometimes get caught up and forget how fortunate I am. Thank you for sharing.
Old 08-28-2016, 11:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Mr

I remember it too.
It comes back to me regularly especially with whats been happening in France lately. Make it happen TODAY !! ODAAT
Vinny from Ireland.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I remember it like yesterday too. And the IRA bomb in Warrington which is pretty local to me.

Bad times,

Hopefully all of that is in the past now, although I do fear that another period of unrest maybe just around the corner

Bruno.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Another thank you for that very powerful post PK.

I was in Beragh for the funeral of the mother of the unborn twins and her daughter.

Three generations of the family of my best friend were all killed in Omagh that day.