Notices

*Ring Ring* Weekender August 12th Part 2

Old 08-16-2016, 05:29 AM
  # 221 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrPL View Post
Ahhh! Woodstock talk!

Not much talked about but Sly and the Family Stone did an awesome set there!

Wish I was older, would definitely have enjoyed being there.

P
I would have enjoyed being there too. But I wish I was younger, even though today's music is horrendous.

After tearing down camp and packing up, spent a couple hours walking around on a mine town tour in hot sunny 90+ heat. Didn't even think about sunscreen until after...
In order to make it to tour on time, we skipped breakfast, just coffee and granola bar... by 3 o'clock it was eat now.
Passenger suggested mcdonalds... I said, you didn't fly 5000 miles to eat at mcdonalds - sorry... but desperation took over, and I pulled into a cracker barrel for late lunch... cross that place off my bucket list, and never again...
I would have liked to get more fishing in, but I was catering to my guest and sampled as much as possible in three days - I got him hooked into a trout on the stream but he didn't want his picture taken because he didn't want to be seen 'killing something' fish was lost, I cuaght 2 for dinner.

Saw a group called 'The Black Lillies' at the Mauch Chunk Opera House, excellent! and a great little venue.
I guess it's back to the routine here, and planning a visit to NYC and Wash DC, Gettysburg etc...

Oh, and the cicadas... the cicadas... it was like a competition of which one could be the loudest. Completely surrounded by them, the sound was deafening. And then the thunder, lightening and rain showed up. It was like someone beating on a snare drum just above your head all night, and when the rain slowed, the cicadas took over again... slept for a couple hours the first night, maybe
by the third night you didn't even notice the cicadas, they were still incredibly loud though, just got used to it I guess...
all in all, a great 4 night camping trip, trout over the fire were tasty...
I think it rained some every day... out on the lake with storm clouds and thunder in the distance, sometimes it turned left or right, sometimes straight down the middle...
sunrise with a camp percolator cup of coffee... I need to go back to fish by myself soon...
Old 08-16-2016, 05:44 AM
  # 222 (permalink)  
...holds the key

I dreamed of Richie Havens and Joe Cocker last night lol!

Glad everything went well yesterday, Ken! xo

Brain I'm still laughing at the Cracker Barrel! I've never understood it's appeal but people seem to love that place! Glad you're home safe and sound.

Yay it's Tuesday! I only say that cause at least it's not Monday ha!
Old 08-16-2016, 05:47 AM
  # 223 (permalink)  

Glad you're enjoying your trip LB, Cracker Barrel aside.

Brynn will appreciate this:

Old 08-16-2016, 06:02 AM
  # 224 (permalink)  

Welp ~

Since Woodstock was a 3 day Festival, I figger a Track or two every Day is good for the Sober Soul.

Trivia below is kinda interesting: what Bands were paid, and their Set Lists @ Woodstock. Richie Havens was told to keep it going, and fill in until the Band after him - delayed by insane Traffic - showed up to play. Result? The classic version of 'Freedom'.

- 'Soul Sacrifice & Evil Ways' ~ Santana ~ Live ~ 10:12 -

- Woodstock Band Fees -

- Woodstock Bands Set Lists -

For contrast, here's details on an upcoming Mega-Concert in my old Desert 'Hood this October. Reserved Seats for this 3 Day Soiree run $699- to $1,599. I kinda recall that The Who are getting paid ~$1.5 Million for their Set. Not bad Pocket Change for a couple of old Sober Guys! Note the also-3 Day Festival Name; borrowed from Woodstock. Lotsa fun detail in this Article for the Music minded...

- Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival -
Old 08-16-2016, 06:33 AM
  # 225 (permalink)  

I'm loving all the Woodstock talk.

I got nothing this morning. Placeholder.

Oh, I know. Melina, well done for all the self-care.

One of my favorite AAisms is, "We'll love you until you can love yourself."

One thought at a time.

Ken, yay. You survived. I am compulsive around some foods. Not all of them. If there is pizza, fagetabboutit. *in Joey Tribiani voice*
Old 08-16-2016, 06:34 AM
  # 226 (permalink)  

Good morning eveyone!
weasel, I'm glad you are ok.
I don't know about you guys, but I am going to try to make this a great day. I'm going to try to not stress over things I can't do anything about, I'm going to be grateful for the good things i have in my life, and I'm going to cherish my sobriety. And I'm going to try to do my best.
whew!!! On that note, I better get out for a morning walk with the doggies.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:41 AM
  # 227 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

@Ken, I'm happy to hear your procedure went well. Good for you to use it as a learning experience. It's a reminder that all of our experiences in life can offer a lesson, whether they are pleasant or difficult.

My case of the Monday blahs has leaked over into Tuesday. I suppose it's got a lot to do with work stress, which is mounting on a couple of fronts. I put a lot of stuff on the back burner to focus on sobriety these last few months, and while I don't regret that one bit, it's making for a hectic fall for me.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:47 AM
  # 228 (permalink)  

Good morning, everyone!

HaF, you said you're going to not stress, be grateful and cherish your sobriety. I'm going to do the same, that sounds like a perfect plan! Thank you for the inspiration!

I'm loving the coffee this morning as it does its magic.

I like all this Woodstock talk, too. In the late eighties I decided I was born in the wrong era and that I was really a hippie. I was about 14 or 15. People magazine had come out with some kind of commemorative issue about the festival or the 60s and it just fascinated me.

My best friend came over and I remember her being very perplexed bc I would only talk to her in the backyard where I could walk in bare feet and feel the grass under my feet. Bc that's what hippies do, mannnn. I told her that society is a trap, mannn, and we need to be free and love one another and be one with the earth, duuuuude. So easy to do when you pay no bills and you have money for the wacky tabakky
Old 08-16-2016, 06:47 AM
  # 229 (permalink)  

Oh, my gosh. Carlos Santana was so cute! Were we ever that young? Really?
Old 08-16-2016, 08:00 AM
  # 230 (permalink)  

Yah, Bim ~

We were that young. I drove an old Milk Delivery Van with a Love Seat in the back; divided off by a Curtain imported from India. Good for hauling around P.A. Sound Systems I built & mixed Gigs on. Also good for the back Row at Drive-In Movies where we'd park backwards while watching the Movie out the double Rear Doors. Also my first RV once the Air Mattress got thrown down, and the Coleman Campstove was fired up. House Rent was $150-/Month in a split with a College Hippie Couple.

Time now to go Fishin' w/MesaDog while MesaMate is off getting a Mani/Pedi; some kinda optical Skin Toning 'Zap'; and then hitting Target on the way Home. Peak Chick Day. Re: your rhetorical question of yesterday, these kinda separate Schedules sans Wee Bastids foster 39 Year Marriages. I include the first 4 Years of Marriage License-optional Cohabitation during which we bought our first 5 Bedroom House for $47,000 in a CO Cow Town. Hee hee...

MesaMate & moi circa '78 in Boulder taking a Pic for fun at a Specialty Shop. I was 25. She was 28. Cue up 'The Way We Were' by Barbra Streisand...

Old 08-16-2016, 08:12 AM
  # 231 (permalink)  

Ha! Mesa. So Butch Cassidy! I have one of those pictures. Mine is me by myself standing up with an umbrella/girlie parasol. Wonder where that is? Mine got a little aged looking (like it had faded out areas and spots.)

Old 08-16-2016, 08:22 AM
  # 232 (permalink)  

welp... glad the procedure went well weasel - whatever it was...
I have an 'old' album of Richie Havens - in mint condition - with the booklet of Richie Havens sketch art included... neat stuff... from 'back in the day'...

sleeping bags washed and on the line, still got stuff to put away properly... but had to spend time planning next 'tourist' adventure...

secured hotel in lower manhattan, tickets to see wicked, tour of statue of liberty without the 'crown access' - need to reserve that MONTHS in advance, looking at a 3C tour ticket that includes 3 places, looks like the met, the guggenheim, and empire state building,
gonna see world trade center and maybe walk through the 'village' - more for me than them... we are in walking distance to trade center, china town and that area... battery park is a ten minute walk...
got a hotel '4 stars' on trip advisor for 172 total for a night... spending money in advance of having it - the american way... it's all for a good cause for a first time visitor to the states... he wants to see 'wicked' so merry christmas in advance...

then I gotta squeeze in a day trip to DC to see smithsonian "again" - I might just drop them off and rent a kayak and boat up river for a few hours... still undecided... I can go to the zoo by myself... hmmmmmmmmm
Old 08-16-2016, 08:49 AM
  # 233 (permalink)  

Very cool, Wild Bill Mesaman!
Old 08-16-2016, 09:18 AM
  # 234 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Mesa, that photo reminds me of being in Silverton Colorado as a kid where one of my brothers got locked in the scenic train bathroom for over an hour lol! I always begged to get one of those western photos but it wasn't in the budget

One of my very faves from Woodstock

https://youtu.be/Xpdw0ouogQo
Old 08-16-2016, 09:45 AM
  # 235 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Ha Behan I just tried the post-it on my work keyboard!! Not bad!
Old 08-16-2016, 10:15 AM
  # 236 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Wanted!
Dead or alive

$10,000 reward

Originally Posted by mesaman View Post

Old 08-16-2016, 10:18 AM
  # 237 (permalink)  

Love the pic!!!
Old 08-16-2016, 10:22 AM
  # 238 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Want to go home! Everyone else has but I have to wait for a courier van to collect an order ETA 6:30pm

Ken - glad it went well. 28hrs is a long time

LB, classy Art Deco interiors to the Empire State. I would love to live in an AD apartment block in Man hatter. Not as high as that particular one
Old 08-16-2016, 10:40 AM
  # 239 (permalink)  
Do your best

Evening friends
Old 08-16-2016, 10:50 AM
  # 240 (permalink)  

I guess since this is the complaint board, and I’m a little behind on my complaining, I’m due to spew…
Here’s a tip. Just because it is “rainy” outside, it doesn’t mean you don’t have to water the hanging baskets EVERY DAY! Especially when it’s 90 duh-grees every day.
I know, I know, I just wish people would follow simple directions.
My patience was tried during the raft trip. I found myself wanting to rip the paddle from some clown’s hands and toss it into the river because he couldn’t follow directions and seemed to think he knew what was going on. Agh! I had to mellow myself and just go with getting hung up on rocks (boulders the size of cars). We got bumped from a raft and put in with these 4 muscle heads. I thought to myself, this is gonna be an easy ride... NOPE
Serious muscle heads from joisey. One was a school principal. Total class triple A personality narcissistic wanna be know-it-all. If you put me in charge of the boat – good choice – you better listen to me. Nope, this clown would paddle back or break and I had to double my forward efforts to overcome his inadequacy and ignorance of rivers, rapids, etc. We dumped guys a few times because they couldn’t follow directions.
So here I am in a raft with 4 serious work out dudes, the two in the front, the sons, were totally useless and couldn’t grasp the basic concept of how to paddle a raft. The one guy was good, because he was strong and he listened, except that Mr School Principal kept barking out orders in a whisper to his people in direct conflict to what I wanted – NEEDED – them to do. So we hit a boulder and lose a guy, or get stuck on a rock. Then he wouldn’t move his butt to where I told him it needed to go in order to dislodge our raft. I found myself actually screaming at this guy. A total class A with a capital A, hole.
Apparently he was revered by the group they traveled with from other rafts…
Okay, I bitched about this guy rather than Missus LB for almost making me start from scratch on my flower baskets…
I am still having a rough time tolerating people who can’t seem to follow directions… but at least I recognized it and calmed down. At one point when we got stuck on a boulder, the 'good' guy looked at me and asked what we should do, I just pointed to guy in front of me and shrugged my shoulders. You clowns listened to him to get stuck this time, maybe he can figure out how to get us off this rock? Nope...
Our raft would have been better off with 4 eight year old girls who listened rather than these four (3 actually) Neanderthal idiots who were basically worse than useless. I could have taken the raft down the river by myself easier than struggling with these guys…

Okay, back to watering the garden… hahahahahaha I just needed a break…