Notices

Ok going to make a concerted effort.

Old 08-13-2016, 01:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ok going to make a concerted effort.

I know that people here probably don't recommend tapering and would probably recommend cold turkey but I have to do what I feel will get me to where I need to be. I'm going to try to make a real concerted effort to taper off this. Because **** this ***** this can't keep going. I don't know if I will be successful or not. But something NEEDS to change.

Last edited by Dee74; 08-15-2016 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-13-2016, 02:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Only my opinion: try it. If it doesn't work then try something else. Cold turkey is dangerous, and I think people would advise that you seek medical counsel (possibly assistance) if you choose to go that way.
Stay safe
Old 08-13-2016, 02:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

The reason I advise abstinence over tapering is based in the simple math of if you wanted to drink less you already would be doing so right ?
Old 08-13-2016, 03:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberwolf View Post
The reason I advise abstinence over tapering is based in the simple math of if you wanted to drink less you already would be doing so right ?
You could be right. Maybe more denial. But I genuinely do feel today a shift in commitment. If this doesn't work I'll have to try something else.
Old 08-13-2016, 03:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Tapering has been used for a very long time as a treatment option, even in very early detox centers. One must keep in mind, however, that the patients were under careful supervision.
And there's the catch. I would not attempt it unless I lived with someone who could "dose" me only if my withdrawal symptoms became too uncomfortable. Getting a little "high" just means you are still drinking.
I could not do it because my SO is an enabler and he gave in to my insistence that I "needed" to drink more.
I have read many accounts from people who could do it on their own RESPONSIBLY. I couldn't. You will have to evaluate the level of your determination and the ability to rationally monitor your symptoms OR you live with someone who can help you by HELPINNG, not enabling you.
Old 08-14-2016, 06:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

if you are serious about tapering, it is highly recommended to do so under medical supervision. if you insist on DIY, then write out a tapering plan......with an end date not far in the future and then be DONE.

tapering is often a lie wrapped up to SOUND like we are really doing something about our drinking......but as long as our plan INCLUDES drinking, we aren't getting to the goal line.

you must accept that quitting isn't pleasant....and that alcohol is not the solution to every ache pain or other symptom. it's a poison, and our bodies will react quite strongly trying to rid our systems of that poison.
Old 08-14-2016, 07:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My first step was admitting that something needed to change.

Follow through on your commitment Smilax and make Sobriety happen!!
Old 08-14-2016, 07:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Since you seem determined to try (TRY) to taper your drinking, I will just say that IMO this is a bad strategy. AND - I will just warn you that "feeling a change" is not enough to keep you sober. You may "feel" now that you've got a strong enough urge....but I bet it won't last without a plan. Even if you do taper to nil - what is your plan then?
Old 08-15-2016, 03:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know that people here probably don't recommend tapering and would probably recommend cold turkey
No, I recommend the third and safest option - see your Dr, Smilax.

Being determined is great. Get on the phone, make an appointment, with determination, and go from there

D