Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Realise I'm becoming a broken record on here but need to ask a few questions.

Notices

Old 08-12-2016, 05:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I really apologise to everyone for continuing to post while not making the decision to quit. I sound like a broken record I know. I don't know what it's going to take :-( What I do have is a few questions regarding withdrawal symptoms. I've progressed to daily heavy drinking in the past month or so sadly. In my case a bottle of red wine and from 1 to 3 tall beers. It's o ly occured to me now that yes I've had a drinking problem for years now, not just A year or a few months. I guess that is denial for you. I tend not to think about how long I've been drinking. It used to be just too much every now and then. Then it was binge drinking once a week, now every day.

Because I didn't think of myself as having been a drinker for years I didn't think I was actually going through withdrawal ever day. Well actually no that's wrong I've know but I've been fooling myself.

The question I have is are any of the following symptoms atypical for withdrawal? I find I start feeling withdrawal every day about 12 to 16 hours after drinking. Lots of anxiety, especially in my extremities, legs, hands, feet feel like they are buzzing. Ants crawling on my brain type anxiety. Sometimes an inability to keep my eyes focused, twitching eyes. General feeling of crap. Feeling hot. No fever, real tremors or seizures though. Is it normal for these symptoms to set in that quickly?

Again I'm sorry for bothering everyone.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Yes, it is. Withdrawal starts when alcohol leaves your brain. Your brain wants more. It sends those signals. This is addiction. This is alcoholism.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Many of your symptoms I also had. For me it took several weeks to start feeling and thinking better. Truth is, it was hell but, gives us good reason to never again return to running with the liquid devil.

Even after 8 years of sobriety it still makes me sick just from the thought of drinking and looking back to my drunken days.

You'll love recovery.
Give it your best effort.

M-Bob
Old 08-12-2016, 06:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Smilax, It's certainly no bother to answer questions - it's why we're here - to encourage each other.

I had most of those symptoms while detoxing. Also heart palps & disorientation. Just general misery - and I'm so grateful to be free.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Google stages of change. I understand it's part of the smart recovery program. Reading and learning about this helped me to understand how we don't get sober over night and recovery is an ongoing process.
It really helped me get out of the black and white thinking and see my steps forward instead of just my failures and completely giving up.
Start arming yourself with knowledge and support. Think and work on a plan. Put as many tools in the tool box as you can. Keep working at it. And talking to a dr is always a great resource for help. :hug;
Old 08-12-2016, 06:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Unfortunately this is addiction as trachemys has said.

Is this concern accompanied by a desire to quit now or sometime soon?

And no apologies necessary. You are reaching out, educating yourself and, hopefully, considering quitting. Wherever you are in your journey, it is important to keep reaching out. I started by reading everything I could find on alcoholism (here and on dozens of other of the more trustworthy sites). Understanding what may lie ahead for me without sobriety was.....well, very Sobering.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm glad you are here and posting Smilax. I definitely dealt with some of those symptoms while drinking. I often thought drinking was a way to deal with my anxiety, in hindsight it made things worse.

It took me a while to finally get it right, and to remain sober. I encourage you to keep trying, also, scheduling an appointment with your doctor would be a good start, they can help you deal with withdrawal symptoms.

You can do this Smilax!!!
Old 08-12-2016, 06:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

We have all been in the situation where we are "sounding like broken records" and we have all been in the position where we know we need to stop but just can't "pull the trigger". We understand, we have been there, we are here for you- post as many times and as frequently as you need to.

As for the withdrawals, yes that is normal. Do you have a doctor that you trust that you can be COMPLETELY honest with and that you can describe your symptoms with and talk about any medical options. There are medicines to help, there many different recovery programs, there are support groups and meetings, substance abuse counseling is a great resource, there are many great books, there are inspirational and motivational CDs you can listen to, there is this site and many others, family members can be a great support system, changing your daily routine can help with cravings, eating better, working out, meditation, yoga, etc. can help also. YOU CAN DO THIS. I know it is hard, daunting, and just plain ole scary but I promise you it is a decision that you will NEVER regret.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I love drinking wine and beer. That was my favorite combo. Roll a fat one and watch the show...but me personally i was a heavy drinker for at least 15 years. Im 33 now. The past 5 years is when i became physically addicted. I never really thought i had a problem. I thought i just enjoyed getting bent. It wasnt till recently i look back and can say i was an alcoholic. I had to sober up a couple days and reflect on it. It goes with other things too. Didnt take notice of all the weight i put on. how depressed i really was. Things like that.

But as far as withdrawl...me...i probably got all the anxiety and other symptoms but was wasted most the time so didnt notice much(read above) but the main thing was hallucinations and i would get seizures the next day if i didnt drink AND if i didnt drink enough. I remember putting down a 12 pack and still having siezures.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

There no problem in asking questions Smilax - I'd rather help you work out a recovery plan though

D
Old 08-12-2016, 10:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone!

On the subject of wanting to get better. Lol f1!k that's a tough one. Some part of me does yes. But my alcoholism is primarily fuled by life long depression and anxiety, which I fully realise the alcohol makes worse, but they would be there whether I drank or not life long companions. As well there is a huge amount of dissatisfaction with my life, where I have ended up. A lot of self loathing to be honest, I hate a good part of myself even though factually I suspect I'm actually a great guy and everyone seems to tell me so. I'm honestly terrified of life and don't know how to stop running from everything. It's so difficult to stop when there is a self destructive if not semi suicidal side to yourself that has one hand on the wheel.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can share with you that my lifelong anxiety and depression got a lot better when I quit drinking...didn't happen immediately but it happened

as for my self destructive self...I left that guy on the bathroom floor the last time I drank and cracked my head...

turns out he was only brave with the idea of dying not the reality

D
Old 08-12-2016, 10:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Smilax View Post
Thank you everyone!

On the subject of wanting to get better. Lol f1!k that's a tough one. Some part of me does yes. But my alcoholism is primarily fuled by life long depression and anxiety, which I fully realise the alcohol makes worse, but they would be there whether I drank or not life long companions. As well there is a huge amount of dissatisfaction with my life, where I have ended up. A lot of self loathing to be honest, I hate a good part of myself even though factually I suspect I'm actually a great guy and everyone seems to tell me so. I'm honestly terrified of life and don't know how to stop running from everything. It's so difficult to stop when there is a self destructive if not semi suicidal side to yourself that has one hand on the wheel.
Hi.

You could easily have written every word of that about me.
That is exactly who I was, and where I was in my own life.
It's a really painful place to be in.

What I would NEVER have believed is that my life-long companions, depression and anxiety would finally leave. Month by month, as I continued this journey, they receded.

It was when I finally stopped running that I gave myself a chance to heal. And I still have a long way to go...but I like myself now, and I want whatever good things I can find in this life.

It's hard to take that leap of faith, but it's worth it. Sobriety is a wonderful gift.

Sending you love. ♥
Old 08-13-2016, 04:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You're not a broken record, the path from full addict to fully sober is not a single step. Some call this educating yourself. Some call it the contemplation stage. Some call it working up the courage to jump in the deep end. But as everyone has said 1. Everybody goes through it, 2. You'll know nobody wants to answer your questions when the there are no responses, until then you've got friends here.

KP
Old 08-13-2016, 06:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Im depressed alot and feel the same way as you. The alcohol makes it worse for sure. Everyday i feel a little better. Your problems aarent going to go away just because of sobriety. I just been tackling them head on. I have goals and i focus on them. My goals are to feel better. So any problems i have now i just confront them. And after i do that they usually arent so bad.
Old 08-13-2016, 06:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It is a leap of faith in the beginning to say "today, no matter what, I will not drink".

I came here every day, and I ate ice cream, and watched cool movies, and walked my dog a lot. I knew I wanted to change - but had no real idea how I would feel or think as a sober person.

You already know how it feels to drink. Aren't you a little curious to know how it feels to be of sound mind? Your addiction will tell you that you won't feel better, that you are just broken and that being drunk is your "coping mechanism" but it lies!!!!!

Embracing sobriety is the best decision I have ever made (aside from deciding to become a mom). It is amazing in ways you can't see or understand right now - which is why "taking a leap of faith" is involved.
Old 08-13-2016, 06:45 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You are not alone in your symptoms. It varies person to person- my process of detoxing and physical change was long- it rolled through and out of my body, as I think of it, in a couple of months. This might help to see that you are going to go trough a process if- I hope, WHEN- you quit - it is scary and not fun but you CAN get to the other side.
https://digital-dharma.net/post-acut...r-immediately/

If you keep drinking, the quitting will just be worse and you will perpetuate the cycle. It is a brave move to bite the bullet knowing it won't be fun, but you have to do it to get to a better, healthy place.

Good luck.
Old 08-13-2016, 11:45 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

There has to be a better solution to life than drinking? . . . and there are many here that can say that there is.

You just have to give it a chance Smilax!!