Notices

Experience of anger

Old 08-13-2016, 07:04 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Linz805 View Post
All good stuff!! Thanks for the responses. Newly sober I guess I am not quite sure what it all means but thru time I will figure it out. It's so true that we drink and any time we felt anything negative or even good that's when I would have a cocktail and now I don't have that. Which is fine! I think a lot of it can come with fear from this whole process. I am not feeling (at this moment) rage but a mental mind set of today is going to be a good day. What a roller coaster lol.
First of all, I experienced mood swings for a few months. Mine were depression, anxiety, ANGER, and elation. Over time they evened out (with help from face to face therapy). So hang in there, and seek professional advice if you feel like you can't handle it yourself.

Second of all, you've identified something really important to keep in mind. We alcoholics drink for ANY reason under the sun: good day or bad day, happy or sad, the sky's blue or grey.... When we eliminate it from our routine, it's so much easier dealing with the challenges life throws at us.
Old 08-13-2016, 07:13 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by On The Road View Post
First of all, I experienced mood swings for a few months. Mine were depression, anxiety, ANGER, and elation. Over time they evened out (with help from face to face therapy). So hang in there, and seek professional advice if you feel like you can't handle it yourself.

Second of all, you've identified something really important to keep in mind. We alcoholics drink for ANY reason under the sun: good day or bad day, happy or sad, the sky's blue or grey.... When we eliminate it from our routine, it's so much easier dealing with the challenges life throws at us.
It is nice to know that these are normal emotions and just part of the process. And to get thru it I have to go thru them. I actually see two counsellors a week. Not sure if insurance is going to like that but they have different approaches to recovery and I'm liking talking to a therapist twice a week. One of them yesterday said alcohol is like a break up with an abusive boyfriend/girlfriend and that I am going thru a grief period. She suggested writing a letter to alcohol. I'm going to work on that but when I think about what it would be about there will def be anger of the lies it told me!
Old 08-13-2016, 01:07 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

It is nice to know that these are normal emotions and just part of the process. And to get thru it I have to go thru them. I actually see two counsellors a week. Not sure if insurance is going to like that but they have different approaches to recovery and I'm liking talking to a therapist twice a week. One of them yesterday said alcohol is like a break up with an abusive boyfriend/girlfriend and that I am going thru a grief period. She suggested writing a letter to alcohol. I'm going to work on that but when I think about what it would be about there will def be anger of the lies it told me!
He's something I wrote about back in December 2015 here on SR - maybe it can help you:

"I treated my affair with alcohol like a death. So I experienced all five stages of grief as I went through the process of mourning the loss of my flawed "lover." Yes, I know this sounds dramatic, but it helped me personify my problem in a way where I could do something about it. And I didn't stop with "acceptance." Once I knew alcohol was no longer a part of my life, I asked myself one question: "what are you going to do now?" This helped me understand the importance of forming a "Plan" - my new way of living. Without experiencing all of this, I'm sure I would be back to "bargaining" with myself and trying to drink in moderation."
Old 08-13-2016, 01:36 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

One thing during this 40 days though that I am pleased with is although I am feeling all kinds of negative feelings at times I KNOW alcohol is not the answer. It is not going to fix anything!! And I am now on a journey to figure out what will help me . I tried alcohol for many many years and it got me nowhere so ok... Let's try something else!
i has serios anger problems my entire life.
when i got sober i was very miserable for a while, but the the fog wore off and there was the anger.
i was in AA and the 4th step helped me tremendously to find the causes and conditions.
one thing that blew me away was realizing, over all my years, that fear in one form or another was associated with the anger.
Old 08-13-2016, 01:40 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Early recovery is an emotional rollercoaster. Just hang on and do the next right thing and hopefully it will even out soon.
Old 08-13-2016, 01:42 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I never thought I was an angry person but I don't even know who I am sober. I've been doing drugs and alcohol since I was fifteen so maybe I am.... There is only one way to find out and that is most definitely staying sober. I am working step one in AA . I met with my temporary sponsor today and I know with time things will be clearer. You guys have helped me see I'm not alone and when your an alcoholic that is golden.