Notices

First sign of the cracks appearing

Old 08-12-2016, 02:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First sign of the cracks appearing

Hi guys,

I've been working away nearly all week in a nice village in Cambridgeshire, the weather has been great and the hotel was lovely,

Last night me and the lads went out for dinner at a great Thai restaurant by a river, they were all drinking and I had orange juice, which again was great as I don't drink anymore. I was also full of a great kind of spiritual glow of pride and love of my wife and kids, knowing that even though I'm away from them I'm working hard at a well paid job and bringing the money home to them instead of peeing it up the wall as I've done many many times before.

Then today all of a sudden BOOOOM, I had a massive urge to join the lads in an after work beer back in our home town, the sun was shining, the sweat was pouring after a long hard shift and that was it, my mind was set that I was going to join them.

Then during the ride home I remembered how good I feel and how much I love my family and my new sober life. The weight is beginning to come off and I'm without doubt the happiest I've been in a very long time.

The lads went to the pub and are probably still there now,

I'm at home sober with my lovely wife and kids ready for another challenge tomorrow when we all go to a good friends wedding. Booze free of course.

I had to check in here tonight for my own good.

I hope you're all well,

Bruno
Old 08-12-2016, 02:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Good going.
You could be stronger than you think.
Keep the faith
Old 08-12-2016, 02:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Bruno, that's a great triumph. Each time we get over one of these hurdles we grow stronger. Proud of you.
Old 08-12-2016, 02:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's inspiring Bruno.

P
Old 08-12-2016, 03:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good job checking in
Old 08-12-2016, 03:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks fellas, I really do love this place. We are like one big happy community, even in our darkest days
Old 08-12-2016, 03:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Learning to LIve

Building those sober muscles Bruno
Old 08-12-2016, 03:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Way to go Bruno congrats on fighting the urge!

I had a similar moment in my head today. I was about to leave work, the thought of stopping for beers crossed my mind but I remembered how much happier I am now, even at only 12 days. I scrunched my face and said nope.

Have a great weekend
Old 08-12-2016, 03:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good for you! That's great that you made it home to your family. What are your plans for tomorrow and the wedding? And after the wedding?

I ask because there were a few times that i thought to congratulate myself for successfully not drinking by having drinks. Like I could suddenly moderate because I had not given in at an event.

Just something to think about. Well done on getting home
Old 08-12-2016, 03:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Originally Posted by Bruno1979 View Post
Thanks fellas, I really do love this place. We are like one big happy community, even in our darkest days
Yep... Just a little SR Love .. will seal that crack !!
Old 08-12-2016, 04:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Glad you pushed through. Good work Bruno
Old 08-12-2016, 04:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sounds similar to kind of how I am feeling. Wednesday just felt such joy and happy being sober and I had went to a meeting and got a temporary sponsor and then today, wow my mood changed drastically and I just thought of drinking. Not going to act on it but like you said boooom! I know it will pass! Gotta stay strong
Old 08-12-2016, 04:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gretel123 View Post
Way to go Bruno congrats on fighting the urge!

I had a similar moment in my head today. I was about to leave work, the thought of stopping for beers crossed my mind but I remembered how much happier I am now, even at only 12 days. I scrunched my face and said nope.

Have a great weekend
To Gretel123
Like many of us, I will make it for several weeks even before starting again. Your comment about just 12 days somehow gave me hope again!
Old 08-12-2016, 04:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Its because its Friday and our DOC its alcohol which widely accepted and people openly take it. Everything revolves around alcohol celebrations funerals happyness sadness work accomp[lisment weddings. Oh man this i going to be hard beaciuse if you dont drink you are the odd one out and you cannot drink anymore, just talking to myself here sorry. may be im carzy but sometimes im so mad because this is the addiction that everybody accepts is socially accepted. people dont usually smoke crack on weddings. well just saying. congrats Bruno, well done!
Old 08-12-2016, 05:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well done Bruno! So proud of you. And your family must be thrilled. I'm imagining all of you happy and together tonight. Remember edibles (& lot's of cake!) tomorrow. I always had to leave receptions early because of the unusually "weird" drunkenness that happens at receptions.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Bruno:

Great job working your sober muscles and posting here for accountability. I like to every once in a while go back and read my posts. That is part of my plan .

Be very vigilant and aware of AV. It's going to throw a tantrum after our success but you are into it!!!

You are right: we are a great community here to support you always!!!

Let us know how the wedding went.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

It is great that you didn't drink but going out with the lads is trying to make your old life work without alcohol. Sobriety is about creating a new life. Unless we change we are condemned to stay the same
Old 08-12-2016, 07:24 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Nicely done Bruno!! Enjoy your night with your family, and when you wake up tomorrow take some time to remember how good it feels not to be hungover!!!
Old 08-12-2016, 07:36 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Well done Bruno.
I know the feeling of wanting to drink but also know that that the genuine feeling of being "right with the world" that you are currently feeling beats all.
Your post inspired me.
Happy Weekend.
Jonathan
Old 08-12-2016, 09:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I knew a challenge would come sooner or later..it does for all of us..and you met the challenge!

Maybe a little more time before you hang out in that kind of atmosphere? I have to agree with MIRecovery with this one. But I am VERY proud of you, Bruno!