Notices

Recovery's side effects

Old 08-12-2016, 05:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovery's side effects

I was just reviewing my work towards my goals. I have to say that the road to recovery might be long and challenging to get to the goal of sobriety but it sure has taught me a few things even though I haven't succeeded getting sober yet:

I have learnt that emotions don't control my thoughts and actions.

I have learnt that I can control my thoughts and my actions and am getting better at it.

I have built emotional strength and stamina to levels I never had. I can now face challenges with equanimity, when previously they would destroy my emotional balance for days if not weeks.

I have learnt resilience. Never before have I fallen down so much yet picked myself up and tried again.

I have learnt that total strangers can be kind and generous, whilst the closest of family and friends can be selfish and inconsiderate.

I have learnt that The Serenity Prayer is not a trite sentence, but deep wisdom.

I am learning to judge myself less. To have self-compassion. To understand that the anger directed outwards is in truth anger directed at me.

I am, slowly, learning to forgive.

I have learnt that Winnie the Pooh has added for more to my spirituality than anyone else.

Yes, I know that none of this is new to anyone on SR, except possibly for Pooh. But to me, it is new knowledge. I am not sober yet. I am not even abstinent yet. But I am a far better person today because of my efforts at recovery. I am truly happy at this moment. I have rarely felt this serenity in the last 30 years of my life.

I probably needed to write that more than you needed to hear it, but there we are.

KP
Old 08-12-2016, 06:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Having an open mind can make such a difference.
Once we come out of our prisons, we get to rediscover ourselves and find a whole new world is open to us!
Old 08-12-2016, 06:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I love this keeppusing.

Winnie the Pooh gives me comfort as well. Like you, I have learned resilience - I am stronger today than I have every been.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts - I am incredibly happy for your success and happiness! :-)
Old 08-12-2016, 06:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Imagine how much better and greater all this would be if you were sober.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Imagine how much better and greater all this would be if you were sober.
My thoughts exactly. Why not take it to the next level? You have a great start.