Notices

*Ring Ring* Weekender August 12th Part 1

Old 08-11-2016, 04:01 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Morning! Beautiful OP. I have been sitting outside on the patio since 4am this morning in blissful meditation and contemplation. I am completely mindful to all that surrounds me.

I started a recovery blog! I transferred all my musings and journal entries over. Check it out if you would like, the link is in the about me in my profile.

Wishing you all a great Thursday!
Old 08-11-2016, 04:02 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I'm in!
Old 08-11-2016, 04:11 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

mindfulness... I discovered I am becoming short tempered lately... too busy 'living life' lately and not taking the necessary timeouts I need to mellow myself...
like the other day when I quickly got angry over something - it's actually a build up/combination of things - something that is likely to not change. As much as I try, I can't change another, I can only change myself. So I guess the "count to ten" before I react must be brought into play once again. I'll be up to a million in no time tho...
Have a good weekend all. I'll be camping for a few days. Got a whitewater raft trip Saturday. Gonna spend one day showing my guest the history of the anthracite coal region, stop at Eckley Miner's Village and take a coal mine tour at the Pioneer Coal Tunnel, see the Mauch Chunk Jail etc. Kayak and fish. And hopefully cook fish over the fire, if the crappie or perch are willing. Which reminds me, I'm out of flour. And, try to catch a couple trout in a small stream below the dam, machete required to get to the stream - this guy has no idea what he's in for Fortunately he wears the same shoe size so there is already a pair of old disposable sneakers laying around to walk the stream... should be fun. And if we get a few trout - dinner or breakfast.
The good news is that I won't be packing 150 pounds of beer in the jeep, or a 'bottle'. It's a no alcohol facility. No more drinking beer out of sippy cups for me. Or having to hide the beer cooler - they check. Nothing to hide here anymore...
I'll be in a perfect location to view the Perseid Meteor Shower (thanks Trach), but it's supposed to be rainy all weekend- tarp for fire wood needed.

And I can take some relaxin time by the lake at night - if it isn't raining...
otherwise, sit under a tarp and enjoy the rain...
Old 08-11-2016, 04:15 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to any Newcomers
Old 08-11-2016, 04:39 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
saoutchik

In

Thank you Ken.
Thank you Dee

Congratulations on shotgun ring

I am not sure if this qualifies as mindfulness but the thing that I am most grateful for is just being able to take phone calls or answer an email in the evening. Maybe make some plans for the future. When i was drinking I was effectively incommunicado from about 7:30pm - lost in the wasteland

I a taking a woman out to lunch at Shoreditch House today. No fear alcohol temptation, if I can survive a coworkers birthday booze up then this will be easy
Old 08-11-2016, 04:56 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Mindfulness. I'm going to have to work on that. My job is getting much busier now, and I'm finding myself thinking about that, and other things that are going on, most of the time. I'm missing out on opportunities to just enjoy what's happening right now. I'm distracted. That leads to anxiety. And anxiety is bad for me. So I'll be reminding myself to get out of my head and slowing down a bit this weekend. I'm babysitting starting right after work tomorrow, until Saturday afternoon. I'm planning on taking nugget to the park a couple of times to watch her play. Maybe take a picnic. That should be fun.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:57 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Enjoy your date Sao!

Camping, Kayaking, 'n fishing sounds heavenly LB.

I'll let you know how I get on K!

B
Old 08-11-2016, 04:57 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

coffee is made, weather forecast confirmed - clouds and rain...
Old 08-11-2016, 05:15 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

It rained all night here. I think we got about 4 inches. My rain gauge got knocked off-kilter when the leading edge of the storm blew through, so it's not accurate. Could be more than 4, it's still raining, but it's ending soon.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:17 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I'm in--mindfulness is something I am finding very helpful in recovery, and life.

I just need to be more mindful about minding my mindfulness
and not minding my mind's drifting off over and over into the dream. . .

Quite a conundrum
Old 08-11-2016, 05:19 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hi all,
Thanks K.
Id like to kick some ass. I'm in.

Mindfulness: I need to read 'untethered soul' again.
I totally lost my way this week. I allowed my mind to wander and became convinced that I could moderate. Seems ludicrous even typing it. Oh humility prayer ..

Last night I spent about 2 hours on my plan. I hadn't updated it in about 6 months and my triggers had changed. I'm so grateful to be back and thinking sanely again.

I'm really interested in others mindfulness tips, I'm going pop them in my plan.

Welcome to new and as they say, prayers for the struggling.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:36 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
...holds the key

I'm on board for another scintillating bus ride!

Lunar, your baby is adorable xo

Have fun camping, Brain!

Marty, I'm on babysitting duty today through Saturday too and I'm starting off tired! I'll be thinking of you when godson is sitting in the middle of the floor crying cause he couldn't play with a power outlet lol!!

Hi trees! I'm really glad to see you! xo

More on mindfulness later, but one thing I've noticed, is that it's something that you've really gotta practice just like anything else you want to get good at. I do find myself 'remembering' that it's an option sooner than later (usually) these days though.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:36 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I'm currently working through a mindfulness meditation program. I read an entire clinicians guide and found it most interesting. The problem was, when it came time to actually carving out and setting aside a time for me to do it I found it daunting. My head wanted to think about the 90 million other things I needed to do. Then, I did it.

I sat my duff down, put on the headphones, and put my feet up. I let the world go away and followed the instructions. At the end of the session and with my last exhale I realized how nurturing it was and how this is necessary.

I have the link to the body scan but am on my IPhone. You can find it on You Tube. Look up John Kabat-Zinn Body Scan. It's a great starting session. It's encouraging and non judgmental.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:37 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I am procrastinating big time getting to work today. I had contemplated calling in sick, but I'll drag myself in at some point. I'm not sick, just need a day to catch up around the house. I'll save sick days for when I'm sick. Which is practically never. Nice thing about my job - sick time never expires. When you retire, all accumulated sick leave is used to continue paying insurance premiums. Nice!
Old 08-11-2016, 05:39 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Thanks for the info, LadyBlue! I'm going to check that out.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:39 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I'm in for another sober weekend -
And I'm taking tomorrow off so it's a 3 day weekend for me. I need a break from work. I start getting grouchy otherwise.
Have a great Thursday everyone!
Old 08-11-2016, 05:42 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
...holds the key

After watching Brains video my office doesn't seem so bad after all lol!
Old 08-11-2016, 06:20 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Marty what you said about slowing down struck a chord with me. I find myself so wrapped up in stuff that I just don't enjoy the moment. I thought to myself this morning that I don't really know my kids. I'm always off cleaning or doing dishes. I rarely just sit.

Time to change that.

Trees good to see you.

Flossy, congratulations on 100 days. I used to get that "I'm thinking about this too much" feeling. I still think about recovery but it's not the same.

Two more days and then off for 4! Yay!
Old 08-11-2016, 06:34 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

I am mindful of every single morsel of this blueberry muffin I am having for breakfast. Every bite is an explosion of flavor topped with just a tiny bit of sugary sweetness.

Ok maybe I really just inhaled it because I was dying of starvation. But it could have been like that if I wasn't being a Miss Piggy.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:36 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

rINg rINg!