Notices

Sponsor

Old 08-10-2016, 08:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sponsor

I've had a huge fear about AA meetings because I have social anxiety so I have been attending one woman's meeting a week conquering my fear. Well when I went tonight I ended up getting a temporary sponsor and then sat outside with a girl for an hour just talking. I was so glad I went! It just shows if you face your fear how it can all work out. My part was to just show up and let my god do the rest. If I hadn't went tonight I would have missed out on the wonderful things that happened. Hopefully this can help someone who is scared to take one step in the right direction.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats Linz!
Old 08-10-2016, 09:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's great! I'm sure you're glad you went!
Old 08-10-2016, 11:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know the feeling of being anxious in those meetings. After I found one I'm comfortable with I can't stop going. Truly amazing what you can accomplish when fears are faced. Mine was public speaking or sharing in meetings. Then I realized wait everyone in the room is here for the same reason I am.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Glad you went along and it was good.

Once you get to know those ladies, then you can find out what other meetings they go to and go along in the knowledge that there will be some friendly faces there, or even share rides to them.

Well done.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

way to go Linz try to stick mainly to women's meetings just my 2 cents, good luck and welcome to SR
Old 08-11-2016, 03:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congratulations Linz
Old 08-11-2016, 04:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone!
Old 08-11-2016, 04:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Linz,

Congratulations on your 5 weeks sober!

It is a wonderful accomplishment that you overcame your fears and went to a meeting. One step at a time.

Getitright has got it right......"Then I realized...... wait, everyone in the room is here for the same reason I am." That is a good thought to keep in mind whenever you doubt the value of meetings - even if you think you are not getting something out of a particular meeting, maybe your sharing is helping someone else who desperately needs it, you never know.

Keep coming back,

Jim
Old 08-11-2016, 04:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Linz805 View Post
My part was to just show up and let my god do the rest. If I hadn't went tonight I would have missed out on the wonderful things that happened. .
Way to go!!! And you are right - as a wise man in one of the big clubhouses I go to says "you never know when the miracle might come." He is so right- he said it to me when he asked me why I often come in a few minutes late and leave before the Serenity Prayer. I did this early on (I am nearing 6 months) because it made me uncomfortable to be there the whole time, and because I wasn't ready to accept the SP.

Glad you are moving forward - the talking to others really does help! I bet you will meet more people now that you've started.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats on almost 6 months! I will be there in no time God willing. I read somewhere "don't stop before the miracle happens". I hold on to that phrase a lot because I would always relapse because I was to impatient for the good but if I give it time, take the steps I need to I bet that miracle is just around the corner and multiple of them. Thanks everyone for the response. I've been hanging around here for a few weeks and enjoy sharing either this community. You guys are my first home!
Old 08-11-2016, 10:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Fanatastic Linz!!