Notices

Physically addicted

Old 08-11-2016, 04:55 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Let's not get sidetracked with political stuff, guys. Keep it for PMs.

Katzen started this thread for help.

If you have local knowledge of how to get help or where to go please share it.

Thanks

Dee
SR
Old 08-11-2016, 04:57 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please remember our rule. We are not here to discuss politics:

2. Outside Agendas: No posts of an overtly political or religious nature OR posts promoting advocacy of particular personal, medical, legal, religious, political, or non-profit causes. The forums are intended for offering mutual personal support related to recovery from addiction or recovery for family and friends. This is our primary purpose. Debating controversial subjects should be taken elsewhere. Limited references are allowed, but the forums should not be used to convert others. Do not post content or links or materials to and from sites that flame someone's person, religious beliefs, race, national background, sexual orientation, or recovery program/method. It is inappropriate to promote the use of alcohol or drugs on our addiction recovery forums.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:21 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone for their concerns and support. I actually do have medical insurance now, my husband and and I have been together 18 years but never married until a year ago after I got the huge medical bill and realized I needed medical insurance. Problem is 4 months ago we moved to a very rural area, nearest hospitals are about an hour away, otherwise I believe I might seek medical help.

I do have 9 tablets of Valium on hand which was prescribed to me a year ago because I had trouble sleeping... The thing is after taking one i felt strange and "impaired" so I don't want to take any drugs like this if I can avoid them...

I never feel impaired like that after drinking (well... Maybe on special occasions like New years eve when I had much more than usual.) No hangovers, headaches, any problems at all except for the shakes and anxiety that start to happen around 15 hours after my last drink.

My drinking seems to be a physical addiction like medication, and I have certainly been able to cut back the past few months and am hoping to be able to continue to do so and taper off safely.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:56 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

There was a time when I would have rather risked my life than see a doctor due to worry and shame. I used to wish I'd blackout and wake up in a hospital, medicated and in a bed, everything taken care of. I would have been okay with the getting better part. I just didn't want to have to take that step. If the cops would've shown up at my door and forced to me to go to rehab/hospital, it would have been a relief. But if someone said pick up the phone and make an appointment, I wouldn't have done it. I avoided it for as long as I could.

It was finally brought to my attention by my doctor during routine bloodwork. I didn't suggest it. She did. I went along with it. Well, it was all out in the open then. You say your bloodwork is fine. Mine was not.

I guess all I'm trying to get at is to reach out for medical help if you need it. Can you imagine they've built these modern hospitals and we're scared to use them? These doctors go to years and years of school specifically to help people like us. They even have fancy vehicles to deliver us to the door. (This is from someone, me, who never took advantage of these things).

I don't mean to come on strong. This is what I wish I would have realized two years ago when I was up to my neck with alcoholism. This is what I would have written to myself.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:33 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PrinzessinD View Post
This isn't really medical advice but I kept a journal of how much I drank and cut it in half every day until it was nothing. I quit cold turkey once and hallucinated and had a seizure, it doesn't happen to everyone but it scared the crap out of me. Try and keep a journal of the number of drinks you have and cut it in half or down every day. It worked for me. I hope that helps.
I know how you feel. I had seizure for a couple years before i really quit. I guess i was what they call kindling for a while. Hallucinations too. Glad thats over with. How long are you sober? I still get the occasional "tick" does that still happen to you?
Old 08-12-2016, 06:54 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

i guess my thinking would be if the bill is already $17k, what's another couple grand to assure my health and safety???? you say that you have been "cutting back" for months but are STILL having shakes and anxiety if you go too long without more alcohol. that's a very serious situation....all anyone here wants is for you to be ok.