SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   To the people still struggling...what are you most looking forward to? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/395802-people-still-struggling-what-you-most-looking-forward.html)

Ironhorse1 08-09-2016 05:10 PM

To the people still struggling...what are you most looking forward to?

For the people still struggling on the road to recovery (I am in that category), what are you most looking forward to when you finally kick the booze to the curb?

I will go first...
Being able to come home from work with head held high, and kissing my beautiful wife because I'm not worried if she will smell the booze on me.

That's my motivation for today.

What's yours?

Winslow 08-09-2016 05:28 PM

To STAY sober for the rest of my life, I've had too many flubs and although nothing serious has happened yet,if I keep on starting/stopping it's only a matter of time before something bad does happen

Mattq2 08-09-2016 05:29 PM

the last thirty some days have been the best in over a decade. I can't wait for another😃

Soberwolf 08-10-2016 10:47 AM

Awesome thread

markinny 08-10-2016 10:52 AM

for me it's to not be still struggling :headbange

Ekohe 08-10-2016 11:24 AM

Facing real life problems with a sober mind, and dealing with it, instead of being a coward and finding an artificial, more damaging quick fix. Also, for no more day 1's, ever again.

redpatsox 08-10-2016 11:29 AM

Thanks for the topic, Ironhorse! I'm looking forward to a clear mind and no more crushing depression/ brain fog for days on end.

Lightning Bug 08-10-2016 11:34 AM

Actually handling problems like a responsible adult instead of running away and hiding expecting it to just go away.

Ironhorse1 08-10-2016 12:53 PM

Thanks for replies. Keep them coming.

Everyday when I wake up I try to give myself one reason not to drink...just one... and I focus on that. Usually it's an easily attainable thing I can do...but for that day it's my primary goal.

Today my reason for not drinking is because I want to sleep well tonight. (when I drink, I don't sleep well at all. Not drinking for even a day gives me a great sleep.)

Dame 08-10-2016 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Ekohe (Post 6085186)
Facing real life problems with a sober mind, and dealing with it, instead of being a coward and finding an artificial, more damaging quick fix. Also, for no more day 1's, ever again.

This for certain. Even after 71 days I still can't manage most real-life stuff. It's going to take a while :(

Gretel123 08-10-2016 01:39 PM

I'm looking forward to a lot of things, but one of the biggest is regaining the trust of loved ones, and myself...and not being a disappointment anymore.

Fly N Buy 08-10-2016 01:47 PM

Around 30 days sober, some of the fog started to lift. I began to understand how truly selfish, self centered and hurtful my drinking towards others as well as myself, daily drinking had become. Nothing is more unlovely and unkind than an alcoholic in his cups.

Sadly, we don't even recognize the bad behavior nor think we truly have a problem. Most of us simply don' t think we are in that bad of shape.

My expectations today are very limited - stay sober and take life as it comes. Many days I don't get a kiss when I get home..........But, I don't drink over it :)

I no longer romanticize drinking or sobriety. I do what I need to do daily to not drink and help someone else.

U75 08-10-2016 01:51 PM

At 51 days, I'd say most of my physical symptoms are gone, except for the need to sleep like nine hours a night. That's new. I'm hoping this fatigue goes away soon, but at least it's an excuse to have a big cup of coffee in the evening.

gettingsmarter 08-10-2016 05:44 PM

I look forward to my future life that is being built through much more sound decision making. Each sober decision sure adds up.

keeppushing 08-10-2016 06:13 PM

Waking up with hope and optimism.

Liebe 08-10-2016 06:55 PM

As a long term user, and have used multiple substances-
-Get to know who I really am-

coingod 08-10-2016 08:16 PM

I want to feel good mentally and physically. I want to have a clear and sharp mind and become physically fit.

coingod 08-10-2016 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by U75 (Post 6085401)
At 51 days, I'd say most of my physical symptoms are gone, except for the need to sleep like nine hours a night. That's new. I'm hoping this fatigue goes away soon, but at least it's an excuse to have a big cup of coffee in the evening.

How long have you been sober? Im 33. Drank heavy for 15 years. I want to have more energy. I sleep on and off all day.

noneever 08-10-2016 08:37 PM

To wake up without self loathing and disgust.

Linz805 08-10-2016 08:54 PM

True joy in my soul!