Notices

Pain Under Ribs

Old 08-09-2016, 11:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pain Under Ribs

Has anyone had long term (years of) liver discomfort and once they remained sober (for several years) it went away? The reason I ask is that I'm coming up to 2 years sober and I still have a feeling in the upper right corner under my ribs like a rock or something. Its a constant discomfort.

Two days ago the pain escalated and lasted several hours. I almost went to the hospital

Please, no need to say "go a see Doc", I know. I just want to ask if anyone has experienced a similar situation and what happened with them...long term

Cheers
Old 08-09-2016, 12:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I had many physical symptoms that disappeared eventually, including discomfort in the rib/liver area.

Though 2 years is a long time for things not to have eased, and it also could be a range of things, not necessarily alcohol related.

I really think a Dr needs to take a look and give you a more accurate diagnosis!!
Old 08-09-2016, 12:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah PK could be all sorts of things I guess I'm just freaking out it cant be good no matter what the cause. How long did your discomfort last for?
Old 08-09-2016, 12:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You never know . . . the worst thing is to stress over the unknown, I had acid reflux issues going on, which on the whole is far from organ failure . . . so you just never know, could be something minor, but without a diagnosis it's anyone's guess, it's a complex area of the body with many things going on.

For me it was within the first year things eased, but then I had low blood sugar issues that cropped upwell into year 2, staying close to my Dr was important through it all!!
Old 08-09-2016, 12:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It could be nothing, liver issues, gallbladder problems, digestion, or something else. I don't think anyone likes going to the docs, but honestly you should go for a checkup to make sure something simple doesn't turn into a long hospital stay.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm a bit embarrassed to admit it, but even after a liver ultrasound (fine, they said) and frequent liver enzyme tests, I was still "haunted" by pains in that area. I panicked because......was I taking too many vitamins? Was it a medication? Could it be something no one had caught? I went to another dr. who eased my mind, and the next day it stopped. I'm not suggesting that you are imagining things, but there is a pretty strong mind/body connection and in my case I was worrying myself sick. I hate the "see a dr. thing" too, but I'd have it checked out.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It could be a number of things. Go get it checked out...you'll sleep better.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

No experience here but I hope you get it checked out MNZ

D
Old 08-09-2016, 04:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Not a medical diagnosis, but it sounds similar to my gallbladder attacks.
Old 08-09-2016, 05:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by MaidenNZ View Post
Yeah PK could be all sorts of things I guess I'm just freaking out it cant be good no matter what the cause. How long did your discomfort last for?
If you haven't actually been to a doc that's of course the first step, but if you have and physical causes have been ruled out - don't rule out anxiety. As a sufferer of health anxiety I can attest that your mind can actually cause physical sympoms of things that don't exist. I've honestly convinced myself that I've had brain tumors, Parkinson's, MS, ulcers, other various tumors, you name it. And I've actually experienced some of the symptoms without actually havoc anything close to the real thing.
Old 08-09-2016, 05:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've heard that the pain in that region could be gallbladder related especially if the pain perks up after fatty/spicy food, I'll say what everyone else has check with the doc