SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Anxiety and a slip. Heads held high. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/395750-anxiety-slip-heads-held-high.html)

Ekohe 08-08-2016 01:33 PM

Anxiety and a slip. Heads held high.

I slipped, had 7 beers on Saturday night with some friends after 21 days. Much better than my usual binge, and headed home when they headed to the next bar, but I give myself no pat on the back. Somewhere in my mind I believed I could just have a couple, but this group of friends go hard, so I have told them since that I will need some time to work on myself, and will be out of touch for the time being. They understand. I know where I left off and am taking additional steps to make sure there is no more room for a slip.

My problem is my anxiety, which basically revolves around health concern, and even more specifically my heart. Little background information: I am 25, healthy weight, eat mostly organic and little to no red meat, exercise often, smoke free for four years, and basically outside of my binges I try to live as healthy a lifestyle as I can afford. I have had 9 ekgs, two echo-cardiograms, and a stress test a little over a year ago, (all of which came back superb) and somehow still obsess over thoughts of having a heart attack or heart failure. Ridiculous, I know, but that's my case. It all stems from my drinking, thinking I have done irreversible damage due to my heavy binges(generally once a weekend, strictly beer, but to a block-out state most of the time.) I know I can't drink, with or without the anxiety because I can't just have one(or tell myself what's the point of having one?!) So it's a no no. Not sure what I am trying to get as a response, somewhat needed to vent I guess.

So it is day 2, I went for a run, and am putting together my plan. Day by day, I can and will do this. I lost 110 lbs, I quit smoking, I can do this too! (not bragging, giving myself textual reassurance.) I have a meeting tomorrow with a therapist to begin practicing CBT for my anxiety, and will attend some AA meetings in my area. I will also check in here often.

Thank you for reading, and bless all of you.

:thanks :grouphug:

Anna 08-08-2016 01:42 PM

It's ironic that many of us start drinking to deal with anxiety, only to find that drinking makes the anxiety so much worse. I'm glad you're working on a plan because that's important, and I think it's good that you are distancing yourself from your friends temporarily.

Hopefully the therapist will help you with the anxiety issues.

D122y 08-08-2016 01:46 PM

Eko,

You are so young...you bounce right back.

It is a blessing and a curse.

When i quit my hangovers lasted days.

It was a good reason.

It took me nearly 90 days to really feel the damage i had done to my brain.

I quit in my 20.s too. For 8 months. It was so easy...and so easy to start drinking again.

So..i drank like a fish for 20 more years.

I used to joke sobriety is for people that can't handle their liquor. Turns out the joke was on me....

Ekohe 08-08-2016 01:59 PM

Thank you for your responses! It means alot.

Anna, I could not word it better myself. I convinced myself over the last few years that it somehow helped my anxiety, but it increased it 10 fold. I can NOT moderate and I realize that, so it's a simple choice. Don't have that first drink.

D122y, I can relate with the hangover lasting days, but that started recently. On top of that, my anxiety is fueled 10x over. I have never benefited from drinking, it has been a lie all this time. It's time to realize if the drinking continues it will only lead down one path, and that ultimately is death. So I would rather deal with my anxiety, and other issues, with a sober and clear mind.

feeling-good 08-08-2016 02:10 PM

Ekohe

Please remember this for the next time :) Sometimes there is no going back... I wouldn't want that for you :grouphug:

Fly N Buy 08-08-2016 02:31 PM

If ya hang around a barbershop sooner or later you'll get a haircut. For me a change of venues was in order - Bars / taverns et al were eliminated for a very long time. Still highly infrequent other than a sport bar to watch a game and get some apps.......

Seeking help as you mentioned is great idea~!

Dee74 08-08-2016 02:42 PM

Welcome back Ekohe :)
D

EndGameNYC 08-08-2016 02:49 PM

It's impossible to talk someone down from anxiety-inducing or hypochondriacal thinking. Therapy is the right move.

PurpleKnight 08-09-2016 11:03 AM

You can do this Ekohe!! :)

Lightning Bug 08-09-2016 11:16 AM

Sent you a PM

Ekohe 08-10-2016 11:15 AM

Day 4, cravings have been minimal. Still somewhat anxious but I am holding steady. Had to cancel plans for Cirque du soliel tonight due to anxiety, will go for a long walk instead. The session with the therapist was intense but good. I see my future getting a lot brighter from here on out, there are so many things I still want to do and see in my life, all of which are not possible with the anxiety and the drink. Day by day.

Thanks for being there, everyone.
:You_Rock_

AnvilheadII 08-10-2016 11:34 AM

good for you on day 4 and making choices to not push yourself too far.

also, don't forget how the MATH worked out on Saturday night....your addict voice said you could SURELY have a couple and be ok......except that "couple aka 2" turned into seven. so yeah, you "could" have a couple, but then a couple more and a couple more after that.....etc etc.

i believe you will find the longer you stay with a ZERO drink count, the better you will feel. :)

Delilah1 08-10-2016 01:59 PM

Welcome back, glad you didn't continue drinking after Saturday. I suffer from anxiety too, and Anna's words are so true, drinking made my anxiety even worse.

I am 45 and have seven months and ten days sober. I wish I had stopped in my 20s. You are very smart to do so!!

JasonS 08-10-2016 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Ekohe (Post 6083166)
I slipped, had 7 beers on Saturday night with some friends after 21 days. Much better than my usual binge, and headed home when they headed to the next bar, but I give myself no pat on the back. Somewhere in my mind I believed I could just have a couple, but this group of friends go hard, so I have told them since that I will need some time to work on myself, and will be out of touch for the time being. They understand. I know where I left off and am taking additional steps to make sure there is no more room for a slip.

My problem is my anxiety, which basically revolves around health concern, and even more specifically my heart. Little background information: I am 25, healthy weight, eat mostly organic and little to no red meat, exercise often, smoke free for four years, and basically outside of my binges I try to live as healthy a lifestyle as I can afford. I have had 9 ekgs, two echo-cardiograms, and a stress test a little over a year ago, (all of which came back superb) and somehow still obsess over thoughts of having a heart attack or heart failure. Ridiculous, I know, but that's my case. It all stems from my drinking, thinking I have done irreversible damage due to my heavy binges(generally once a weekend, strictly beer, but to a block-out state most of the time.) I know I can't drink, with or without the anxiety because I can't just have one(or tell myself what's the point of having one?!) So it's a no no. Not sure what I am trying to get as a response, somewhat needed to vent I guess.

So it is day 2, I went for a run, and am putting together my plan. Day by day, I can and will do this. I lost 110 lbs, I quit smoking, I can do this too! (not bragging, giving myself textual reassurance.) I have a meeting tomorrow with a therapist to begin practicing CBT for my anxiety, and will attend some AA meetings in my area. I will also check in here often.

Thank you for reading, and bless all of you.

:thanks :grouphug:

Best of luck to you. Anxiety is absolutely miserable. It's very difficult to explain it to anyone.