Notices

Afraid to stop everything

Old 08-07-2016, 08:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am 29 years old and im an addict...it started in high school with pot and alcohol and soon by junior year i had tried everything i could get my hands on...smoked daily and binged on weekends drinking and doing any drug came my way until i was 25 then i found oxy..at this time drinking had also increased to ne reason i needed to have some(sporting events TV Shows family functions) so basically every day or atleast 8 drinks 6 of 7 nights i never had control i always go for the drunk...i was addicted to painkillers for 4 years heavily to the point of major withdraw n dabbling in snorting heroin to get rid of WDs i drank every night with it and i got myself help to kick the opiates going on with 1 yr clean of them but ive found my drinking increased 10 fold..i work fulltime and do not drink on the job but as soon as 3pm hits i find myself at the liq store buying 6 airplanes of vodka...2 hrs later 6 more all supplemented with beers or wine or lesser alc% in between..i want to stop because i see how its affecting me in work (constantly late) and my personal life (fiance has noticed a problem)...i want tonstop
Old 08-07-2016, 08:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am 29 years old and im an addict...it started in high school with pot and alcohol and soon by junior year i had tried everything i could get my hands on...smoked daily and binged on weekends drinking and doing any drug came my way until i was 25 then i found oxy..at this time drinking had also increased to ne reason i needed to have some(sporting events TV Shows family functions) so basically every day or atleast 8 drinks 6 of 7 nights i never had control i always go for the drunk...i was addicted to painkillers for 4 years heavily to the point of major withdraw n dabbling in snorting heroin to get rid of WDs i drank every night with it and i got myself help to kick the opiates going on with 1 yr clean of them but ive found my drinking increased 10 fold..i work fulltime and do not drink on the job but as soon as 3pm hits i find myself at the liq store buying 6 airplanes of vodka...2 hrs later 6 more all supplemented with beers or wine or lesser alc% in between..i want to stop because i see how its affecting me in work (constantly late) and my personal life (fiance has noticed a problem)...i want to stop but afraid of withdrawl of years of drinking knowing the pain and anxiety i went thru for opiates...i dnt think im strong enough to do it again...it may sound silly that im substituting again but i have not smoked Marijuana regularly since age 23....as n effort to stop the heavy everyday drinking i used pot as an anxiety reducer n to help sleep while not drinking the pot makes me not want to drink n relaxed if i smoked after work and once at nite i make the day drink free..i did this until it ran out for a week...shld i loook to sub pot for weed temporarily to taper the drinking? Myself and fiance would much rather a habit of smoking 5 days of the week to calm me then drinking everyday all nite...wat do i do? I cannot afford medical help and not religious at all AA and NA turn me off i have gone to many meetings and the whole prayers n high power BS Lose me quickly im lost looking for help for my and my familys sake....
Old 08-07-2016, 09:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Bb,

You are young enough that you might not have horrid withdrawals. Of course, that leads to relapse...at least did in me.

I didn't have SR and the internet when I was 29, so you know basically everything.

It sounds like you are aware what is in front of you.

So for me, the bottom line is each relapse makes the recovery more difficult.

Folks get discouraged because they relapse too much and they end up giving up. Then they die.

Get clean. Change your life a bit to be happy sober. Stay clean.

Thanks for the post.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Bblack

If you're afraid of withdrawal why not see a Dr?

Try to self medicate a drug to get off another drug is a fool's errand...you may end up back on both.

D
Old 08-07-2016, 10:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good Luck Bblack57, SR is a great place to start

This is something that Administrator Dee often posts which may help.

I notice you have successfully withdrawn from painkillers so you know you can do the same with alcohol

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...tml?styleid=93
Old 08-07-2016, 10:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I merged your two threads bblack

D
Old 08-07-2016, 11:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Bblack
Old 08-08-2016, 10:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Bblack!!
Old 08-08-2016, 03:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Good Luck Bblack57, SR is a great place to start

This is something that Administrator Dee often posts which may help.
Don't embiggen me too me Sao.
Just a Mod

D
Old 08-08-2016, 03:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Bblack - It's so good you came here to tell your story. Most of us have had similar feelings. I went on much longer before I sought help - I'm very glad you didn't wait. You can turn everything around & have a great life.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome
Old 08-09-2016, 01:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You can do this. ... Are you otherwise healthy?
Old 08-09-2016, 02:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You have already proven to yourself that you are strong enough to kick one addiction, you can do this again. A visit to your doctor would be a good idea, they can help with withdrawal symptoms.

SR is a fabulous resource, you should start by joining the August class, you will find lots of support on there.

Looking forward to seeing you on here!