Notices

Six Month Retrospective

Old 08-07-2016, 12:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Six Month Retrospective

Today, I hit a really great meeting and then I've been listening to motivational videos while working out. It has dawned on me why this time is different. It comes down to discipline. Motivation is fickle, but discipline can be a constant; so can effort. The lulls in my sobriety this go around can be traced back to periods of complacency and a lack of effort. On days I'm applying myself and grinding, I can go to sleep knowing I did everything today I could; there is nothing to feel bad about. The days I get complacent, old habits and feelings creep back in.

I guess what I'm rambling about is the fact that I now view 10 days in detox and the levels in which my drinking and drug abuse reached was me climbing to the cliff. I was ready to die; well in that state of mind I was. Now, looking back on it 6.5 months later, I realize the man that is willing to die has the best chance to win a fight. I took my will to the brink and it almost killed me. Any time I recall this, using and accepting life on life's terms is easy.
Old 08-07-2016, 12:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How I relate to your post. Congrats on 6 months plus. I enjoyed reading that
Old 08-07-2016, 12:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

That's great Noolan.

It really made me think, Motivation is great, when it's there, but sometimes things can come up that can beat motivation down. That is when it's important to have the discipline.

I need to actually put this into action in other parts of my life.
Old 08-07-2016, 12:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScrewdUpInDe View Post
That's great Noolan.

It really made me think, Motivation is great, when it's there, but sometimes things can come up that can beat motivation down. That is when it's important to have the discipline.

I need to actually put this into action in other parts of my life.
I feel you man. If it's not one thing, it's something else I'm lacking in. That said, I don't feel helpless anymore. There are tangible solutions in self improvement. I never found anything but self depreciation in a bottle, pill, or powder. For me, it's just about owning my sh*t when uncovering something I'm doing poorly and trying to do better the next time around.
Old 08-07-2016, 01:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Big congrats Noolan
Old 08-07-2016, 02:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations on 6 and a half months Noolan.

I found that the discipline needed to quit drinking bled over into other areas of my life that I needed to work on as well so it is a win win scenario
Old 08-07-2016, 02:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations! That is a huge accomplishment, and you are right, it is about discipline and going through the process you have to accept that you are going to be uncomfortable at times and it's not realistic to think that you can go through life feeling euphoric 24/7. Thanks for posting that.
Old 08-07-2016, 02:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Noolan View Post
I took my will to the brink and it almost killed me. Any time I recall this, using and accepting life on life's terms is easy.
This! So well said, and exactly where I was and where I am as I approach 6 months here shortly. I just wrote this down in my daily planner where I keep important notes on recovery
Old 08-07-2016, 03:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for sharing that - congrats Noolan

D