Notices

5 Days Sober

Old 08-08-2016, 08:32 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AHutch View Post
The weekend had a few rough spots, mostly when I was feeling bored, but I got through them! Even had several hours home alone (when I would normally sneak in some alcohol) and did not touch a drop. Feels good! Happy Monday everyone!
Oh do I know what you mean there. I'm around Day 50, and as my username implies, I drank on the weekends. I am more productive and busy during the day, but when Saturday night comes, that's the bewitching time. I end up falling asleep earlier.

I am going to be home alone the next few days with my family away; this is going to be a test b/c this is when historically I'd toss in some "bonus drinking time" because, you know, obviously, I would be at home, not driving anywhere, and so" I wouldn't be hurting anyone so it's totally fine."
Old 08-08-2016, 09:06 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

AHutch, 9 days is fantastic! Stay focused and vigilant. Have a plan for how you will deal with the next craving. For me, HALT was a big thing (Hungry. Angry. Lonely. Tired.) I would mentally address each of those conditions each time I felt an urge to drink. And by the time I reached and addressed the last letter of HALT, my craving had passed.

Stay strong. You are doing great. We are proud of you.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:06 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

WeekendWarrior - Being new at this, I don't have much in the way of advice yet on being home alone except this: Stay busy! The less time you have to think, the better off you will be. I wore myself out with yard work. If it would have been more than a few hours alone I can guarantee I would have had the cleanest house in the northern midwest lol. Work, create, visit people...whatever works. Just stay busy until you are worn out and can go to bed feeling happy and tired. Good luck!!
Old 08-08-2016, 09:09 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Firstymer - Thank you so much!
Old 08-08-2016, 09:21 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Great job AHutch!! These days will add up to weeks and months... Keep it going!
Old 08-08-2016, 09:41 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AHutch View Post
Firstymer, I am with you on the keeping it private. I just don't feel it's anyones business for the most part. I did admit I am an alcoholic to my husband and daughter because after what I have put them through I felt they deserved to hear me say it. Admitting it to myself was definitely a relief though. Once I was honest with myself I had a starting point to begin making the changes I have to make to get to where I want and need to be.

Well done on the nine days Al. I am on my third.

I have only ever admitted to the members on here
I am an alcoholic. It is my problem, non addicts, in
my opinion, do not understand well enough despite
good intentions and some can be down right cruel.

Keep going and stay here Al.

ATB,

Nicholas.

Last edited by Hammers; 08-08-2016 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Nine days not five!!