Notices

Acute Withdrawal

Old 08-03-2016, 08:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Acute Withdrawal

I haven't been on SR for a couple of years. i went through an awful relapse and tried to cover up my feelings with vodka. 3 1/2 years later, I'm over it. I ended up going to the hospital for a binge and found it is was affecting my health. I decided it's not worth it and just quit.

My question is, has anyone ever experienced hallucinations from withdrawal? I was hearing things and thought people were in my house. I even called the cops, they thought I was nuts. That was last week and I freaked my dad out. I've never experienced anything like that, it's gone now. I guess even more of a reason to stay away from booze.

D
Old 08-03-2016, 08:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have experienced hallucinations yeah - not everyone does but it is reasonably common.

I'm glad you're ok now - welcome PrinzessinD

To everyone reading, I recommend anyone hearing or seeing things checks with their Dr cos it *could* be a sign of DTs.

D
Old 08-03-2016, 08:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for responding. I looked it up,it was under DT's. Not going to lie I was drinking as long as I was awake. I was freaked out for awhile, then realized it was hallucinations. I'm glad I'm not the only one.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had auditory and visual hallucinations during withdrawal once. I was drinking a fifth of vodka daily at that point and I stopped one day without any clue that alcohol withdrawal was even a thing. I kept seeing shadows in the corner of my eye and also thought people were in the house so I can relate to your experience. I wish I had gone to the ER in hindsight but I was OK after about a week
Old 08-03-2016, 09:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I hope you are starting to feel a little better. Have you seen your doctor?
Old 08-03-2016, 09:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oh I had some MAD hallucinations. Detoxed myself at home, and medically supervised more times than I care to count.
For a couple days I saw dead people everywhere. Zombies grim reaper standing at my door, dead children, I heard music coming from places that didn't exist to anyone but me but were clear as day.
Don't drink.. I know it's easy to say as I've relapsed too many times to count. But you'll only go further down the rabbit hole.
I've learned to walk a tight rope over it for now. But I'm working on climbing my way back out. It's not fun. I know it well and never want back down in that hell.
Take care my friend.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome back. I too started having horrible symptoms after benders, with this last one being the worst. When coming off I had bazaar thoughts and actions I never had before. I was sweating like crazy, while freezing at the same time under two blankets and a fan on at the same time. I then felt unsafe on my bed, and tried to sleep on the floor against my sofa. That didn't work, so then I tried the bathroom, didn't work, back to the floor, then I thought the bathtub or in the closet, but even those were too strange and I couldn't believe I was thinking that. I'm on day three and still feel like hell, but nothing like that. Kindling is real, that's for sure
Old 08-03-2016, 09:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I only experienced this once and have not drank since. it freaked me out. I kept hearing my name being called, so clear, that I would answer and then I would see grotesque faces right up close to my face. Thank god I never have to experience that again. lasted just a night but enough to shake me up more than I already was.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Same here, I was seeing **** out of the corner of my eye and the thought my cell phone was talking to me. I was drinking about 1/5 too. easy. The cops thought I was nuts.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I thought there was an alien in my house and I saw the freaky **** too. I was scared to be alone for like a week
Old 08-03-2016, 10:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yeah, my dad was sitting right next to me and couldn't hear anything. I slept on a couch in his room because I didn't want to be alone. I just told him my ac was broken :/ I could hear music coming from my fan. I was scared, literally. After that, I can't drink again.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yikes! That is scary. Glad you're doing better!
Old 08-03-2016, 11:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

welcome back sounds like you pushed it to the limit, take care and do not drink
Old 08-04-2016, 01:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am now over 4 months and that truly seems like another persons life, so glad I was brave to give this a shot and put in the work, definitely worth it. Sending you hugs
Old 08-04-2016, 02:21 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Nice to meet you

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 08-04-2016, 05:32 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

yep, my last withdrawal i had the full works. people in my living room talking, knocks on the door, and weird light/dark visuals.

i'm 2 years 3 months sober now. you never have to go through this again.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:06 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Glad you are getting to the other side of this. I too was drinking copious amounts of vodka (roughly a handle every 2 days, plus any I might have had while out) and this time, I quit cold turkey and detoxed at home. I went through weeks of the alcohol coming out of my body (I thought of it as rolling through head to toe, with various PAWS symptoms).

Here is a great article, if you haven't read a lot about PAWS and withdrawal-
https://www.google.com/url?hl=en&q=h...O325MgDct7lCUw

I was very sick and it took awhile to get through to the other side. My spatial relationship (driving was scary at first), the spasms and cramping, the night sweats and horrible nightmares, things that startled me (real or imagined), chills even in warm weather (I wore a fleece at work well into spring in Atlanta), and more. At almost 6 months, I feel terrific - hang in there.

Keep asking for help when you need it, having people around you, NOT DRINKING etc and you can get through it.

Do you have a program for staying sober? AA is my lifeline. There are plenty of others out there, too. As you feel better physically, staying sober is a plan of action.

It is so much better the longer you are sober, promise.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:31 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi, while it is common, keep in mind that it's also a sign of pretty severe alcohol abuse. On a scale of 1-10 it means you're probably closer to 10 than you are to 5 on that scale.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:01 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're on your path to sobriety! It is very scary, I have experienced it too. Mine were always when I had drank so much (vodka usually) that I was blacked out, and the next day I had 2 separate people, 2 separate instances tell me I was talking to people who weren't there. I was on the phone with a friend during one and he said I told him there were people in the house. There weren't. I never remembered them, obviously, but it is still really scary to think I was hallucinating.
That wasn't what set me out to stay sober, crazy enough. Maybe if I had remembered, it would have been.

Good luck on your journey, and stay close to the boards or meetings
Old 08-04-2016, 11:16 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

I also had the strange music hallucinations during a withdrawal episode last November. I heard really strange music with dark, scary lyrics coming from anything wih a motor--fans, the dryer, the fountain in the lake at my apartment complex, the furnace... I also spent about five days unable to sleep, so there was the added sleep deprivation hallucinations. I was convinced that I could hear weird, creepy low-voiced chanting coming through the walls from my neighbor's apartment. I finally slept on the sixth night, and the symptoms started going away. Unfortunately, I put myself through that same torture three more times before I finally re-committed to sobriety.