Notices

What keeps me sober? Weekender July 29th Part 3

Old 08-03-2016, 03:46 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

LBrain ~

Kewl! Sounds like you got this one, Senor! Here's some Pix in case one of these Pergola ideas would float your Aesthetic Boat, and allow you to skip the Notching 'stuff'. Me, I'm likely gonna do that bit where you put 2 identical Joists on both top sides of a Post. I like that look, and I'd rather bolt the Poo_peh outta things than I would do Chisel work. Also, I like those massive Bolts you see through Beams in Lofts, and on Ocean Piers. As the old Marketing Saying went: 'If you can't hide it, feature it'! With stout-enough Braces on a 45 Degree Angle up top, the Structure won't rack laterally.

- Pergola Cross Bracing Pix -

Nice Movie System U-75! We hope to do 'Movies On The Mesa', and hang a giant Screen off a huge Porch Beam I set. Drag out some spare Amps, and some Side Fill Stage Monitors I have sitting around for that Full-Fi Sound. R&R Concert Vids would be fun, too. If I don't have a big Crowd, I could see streaming some live or You Tube Vids down the DSL Line to my Roku Box, and let the Router do the Distribution to a Vid Projector.

Lotsa 'flips' goin' on here in RV Nation. Typical Wednesday. Out with the 'old' Campers. In with the new. This >$1 Million Prevost RV Bus pulled in last Night well away from us. Took off this Morning. This Monster RV had - 4 - Rooftop A/C Units. It was so long, they needed 2 Drivers. One to separately drive out the full-size Jeep they were towing so that they could hook up the Jeep Tow Bar in a long-enough space elsewhere. Their Campsite Space here just wasn't long enough.

The Hair Trap Gizmo sounds good to me. Buy it. Clean it out occasionally.

Mebbe a weird Shower Story later...
Old 08-03-2016, 03:47 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
I was dealing with unhappy campers last night. I downloaded Pokemon Go on my phone because my daughter wouldn't stop bugging me and I also figured that the kids and I could do it together. Son had earlier asked and I had said No but changed my mind. He got extremely upset. I heard "you betrayed me" amongst the tears and anger. I can just never win.
Lol, thanks for the laugh. Welcome to true parenthood, you're not really a parent unless you have more than one child.

What do you have to write about?

Early congratulations Behan.
Old 08-03-2016, 04:00 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congratulations on being an uncle Behan

Goodnight everyone
Old 08-03-2016, 04:00 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Oh no ruby!!! ha
That's a pretty epic accusation!!
Old 08-03-2016, 04:20 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Ruby, you gotta think fast on your feet, like the Grinch... Tell him you wanted to surprise him... next time...

Mesa, I already only had one option for the posts, just a matter of if and how far to dig etc... it's going to be fit 'into' the existing tiered garden structure and it will have to be fastened to it... heavy duty steel angle braces at the bottom mates... I need to add a couple 8' 4x4 to the materials list for angle braces up top -- 15 bucks... 2 - 1/2" carriage bolts on each pair of 2x8s for the side beams ( 8 total)... and still debating whether or not to notch things, if I notch I need 2x6, if I don't just gonna screw 2x4 across the beams (it's cosmetic anyway) the notching will definitely add to the finished look and completely take away any angular flex... I don't have a band saw so It's gonna be scroll saw city making it "fancy". If I want the 'top' fancy, I will have to use 2x6 in order to scroll a design into it -- more work than I really want to do... I can just taper the 2x4s, and if I don't notch, I have to add horizontal angle braces on top - not a good look... OR, a combination of 2x6 on the ends and 2x4 across the balance... hmm?
I already know a hurricane won't knock it down by the time I'm done... and it should be able to hold down a helicopter... a small one hahahaha
just had to put in a little thinking time on it...
Old 08-03-2016, 04:26 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
it should be able to hold down a helicopter... a small one hahahaha
just had to put in a little thinking time on it...

Old 08-03-2016, 04:28 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Bingo!
Old 08-03-2016, 04:46 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Nice Pergola Concept, LBrain ~

I, too, like a lil 'Push -> Pull' on ideas because it forces me to mentally hone the finished Project. Your Final Draft sounds solid, and purty. Nuffin' gonna wobble, as you mentioned the possibility of in the last Thread part. No Codes in the County I built in, so I can & do over-build however I want.

When I set my Solar/Mechanical Gate, I rented this one Person Post Hole Digger. You tow it to the Job. The Gas Motor is over the Drill Auger. In a 'V', two Handles extend safely beyond the Motor. The one Axle w/Tires is on down the Chassis. It's counter-balanced so that you don't wrestle any Torque factors, as with a Two Person Model. I couldn't believe how easy it was to use. However, no way to get one into your spectacular Yard, I suspect.

Hearing Thunder now, and watching dark grey Clouds a few Miles away. Oh - BAM! - a Lightning Strike a safe distance away. Good Show might be comin' up. Mebbe time soon to stack Campfire Wood under the Trailer Slide-Out to keep it dry for later. I'll stay on all-Battery Power, and sit under the Trailer Awning.
Old 08-03-2016, 05:06 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Hi Enders! Just got caught up and sending everyone hugs! I've got pergolas on the brain now lol!

Work is getting a little tedious I'll be glad for the weekend!

So....for the second week in a row a strange phenomena has occurred! Y'all know that I'm weird about giving away money (even when I don't have it)....anyway last week I gave some money away and the next day someone gifted me the same amount plus $5! Today I gave money away and this evening someone gave me a Target gift card for the exact same amount! Karma or coincidence?? I vote Karma! xo
Old 08-03-2016, 05:10 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Lol Sao I'm still giggling over the village idiot thing!

Blah Ruby! I feel so bad for moms in general! You can't win! Every Christmas morning my siblings and I used to scrutinize our stocking candy to make sure it was all equal! God help my mom if someone accidentally got an extra piece!
Old 08-03-2016, 05:11 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Karma!
Old 08-03-2016, 05:17 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Hi SU!!
Old 08-03-2016, 05:25 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Hi brynn!
Old 08-03-2016, 05:36 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

From Screwed Up to a boy called SU. Growth is good.
Old 08-03-2016, 05:36 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Karma, for sure, Brynn!

Congrats, Uncle Behan!

Ruby, I've got project block. Which must end. Soon.
Old 08-03-2016, 05:50 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

just finished staining 12 step blocks... 2 coats... guess I better set an alarm so I don't forget the queen...
I watched one of those Dr Ryan CIA films last night with Ben Affleck - he's not a very good actor... and it was a totally korny movie to boot...

yeah yeah, alright...
Old 08-03-2016, 05:52 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Good evening, folks. Been a busy evening here chasing nugget away from everything that isn't nailed down. She's winding down now. She was filthy so I gave her a nice warm bath. Her hair is vey fine, and tangles really easily. She let me yank out some pretty massive tangles with very little protest! She must have inherited my and her mother's uber high pain threshold. Now we are just cuddled up on the couch watching tv. This is the fun part.

Congratulations, Uncle Behan!
Old 08-03-2016, 06:27 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm watching a show called Drugs, Inc. They are showing how easy it is to get drugs into prisons and then inmates sell them to each other. Crazy.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:31 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Brain, you're like the ultimate housewife!

Marty, snuggling on the couch makes all the endless chasing worthwhile.

Congratulations behan!
xo
Old 08-03-2016, 06:32 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Lol Marty I was hooked on that show for awhile!

I need a new show to get hooked on.